Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Been enjoying this, though it needs some improvement:

Place tiles to make a 5x5 square. By the time you've completed it, you must have made 50 points.

Add one row and one column to expand to a 6x6 square. By the time you've completed that, your score must be up to 72 points.

Add one row and one column to expand to a 7x7 square. By the time you've completed that, your score must be up to 98 points.

Add one row and one column to expand to a 8x8 square. By the time you've completed that, your score must be up to 128 points. If you've got at least 128 points, you may score farmers if any.

If a tile can be played, it must be played. Unplayable tiles just get discard until you need to make a new drawpile. Then in they go again. If you create a situation where a square cannot be completed, it's a loss.

Meeples stay on the board until scored, so you can plan ahead to the next level.

I just keep a simple 6 game score pad to mark my progress:

5x5 - 50+ - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ]
6x6 - 72+ - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ]
7x7 - 98+ - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ]
8x8 - 128+ - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ] - [ ]

If I complete a level, I just mark a check, as I have the score running on the standard scoring thing that comes with the game; if I complete a square without completing the level, I record my score in the brackets provided.

The game works, but it needs something; there's too much discarding of currently unplayable tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds very interesting, I'll give it a shot tonight and see it's missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wynn
United States
Collierville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't score farmers until after you reach 128 pts, correct?
Do you only score end game points at the end of the entire game?
Any thoughts on the abbot and river expansions?

Nice job creating this new diversion, Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
You can keep track of your score for every milestone reached.
I play with the Abbot, no problem. I've been trying to get to a 10x10, and I was just a few tiles short, so I'm going to try using:

SOURCE CURVE-DOWN

LAKE CURVE-UP

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wynn
United States
Collierville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really understand your reply regarding "end game scoring".
I'm not getting anywhere close to 50 pts on 5x5 without doing end game scoring. Also, I don't claim points for cities or roads unless I've placed a meeple on them. How are you playing?

Do you play the 5x5, then add partial points for incomplete cities, roads, & monasteries then continue on toward the 6x6 by adding a row and column?

Also, does your mandatory placement rule mean that if a tile can be places by itself in the 5x5 grid (not necessarily adjacent to an existing tile), then you must place it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's confusing, Sundog; I draw a tile and place it, then I place a Meeple on that tile if I can; that's in the rules.

Because I'm going for lots of points, I make as many little roads and little cities as I can, to dribble my way to that 50 points; getting good draws for villages and monasteries certainly helps.

I don't use end of game scoring, except that any farmers I place I don't score until I finish all of the game, 8x8 or 9x9 or 10x10 depending on how many tiles are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wynn
United States
Collierville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just trying to get everything clear. Thank you for replying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Including the 4 river tiles, it took me a few tries to break out of the 5x5. First game 28, second game 40, third game, 121.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.