Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Next Game: Volleyball High
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb

We will not be posting links as this is strictly for polling opinion of the public. We are creating a completely new expansion for our current Kickstarter game Queen of the Hill. If you could only feature 6 weapons from the following, which would you choose? You can choose multiples, but at the end of the day we will still take the top few. Developers in our team will also vote internally after the polling is complete, with each internal vote being worth more. But your vote COUNTS! We will develop as closely as we can to the polling results.
Poll
Which 6 legendary weapons would you feature in a card game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Mjollnir - Hammer of Thor.
74.2% 46
Gae Bolg - Magical spear made from a monster's spine.
21.0% 13
Gungnir - The all-father god Odin's spear.
32.3% 20
Masamune - Super long super sharp legendary Katana.
38.7% 24
Muramasa - Twin of the Masamune, legendary Katana.
27.4% 17
Kusanagi - Flaming magical sword of Japan.
29.0% 18
Vorpal Blade - Weapon that cuts hundreds of times with its afterimages.
43.5% 27
Yin Yang Knives - Short blades wielded in both hands, black and white.
14.5% 9
Aegis - Legendary shield that can block anything.
51.6% 32
Jingu Bang - Famous golden staff (bo) of Monkey God Sun Wukong.
25.8% 16
Excalibur - The most famous of all swords. King Arthur's weapon.
74.2% 46
Sharur - Sentient speaking mace of Babylon gods
25.8% 16
Tyrfing - Cursed dark sword
21.0% 13
Others - Any other legendary weapon you know of (cannot be IP)
21.0% 13
Voters 62
This poll is now closed.   62 answers
Poll created by Wanderer999
Closes: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalibur's Scabbard, it prevents all wounds from bleeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard of Caliburn, but never before the scabbard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanderer999 wrote:
I have heard of Caliburn, but never before the scabbard!
It was considered the more powerful, and Morgana stole it rather then the sword.

Also I will add

The spear of Longinuous. In essence it makes the user unbeatable.

Caliburnus by the way is an early form of Excalibur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Wilson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon's Trident
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Lance of Longinus (or Longinusspear or whatever you want to call it).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aegis isn't really a weapon or shield. It is really more like a piece of armor.

I would prefer that you had artist renditions of "legendary weapons of different archetypes" and then gave them original names and histories.

I would say focus on which 6 archetypes to choose.
Maybe:

Bludgeon[Mace/Hammer]
Sword[1H, 2H?]
Long Handle[Spear/halberd/quarterstaff]
Ranged[Bow?]
Dual[daggers?]
Fluid[Chain/whip/morning star]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Letherface's chainsaw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ancient Bonesaber of Zumakalis!

Its a dumb ATHF joke weapon that was in Diablo 3 as well.

Honestly though, I'm interested in the weapons of various types. If they were all swords it wouldn't be as cool as including a sword, hammer, spear, shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Various weapon forms is certainly an interesting angle, which was why we ensured that the list had varying forms of weapons too.

Perhaps we can do just that, but with the theme of the swords etc taking after the weapons stated in the list. Example: A hammer version of Excalibur if Excalibur made it into the top 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arthur's other weapons

Carnwennan (knife)
Rhongowennan (spear)
Ron (lance)
Wynebgwrthucher (or Pridwen) Shield
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
At lunch we were just discussing the Spear of Destiny, or the Holy Lance. I know it's been featured in the movie Constantine and one of the Wolfenstein video games, and it had a cameo in the TV show Supernatural. Apparently AH was obsessed with it, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a D&D player, I don't recognize most of those weapons. So, id say that the number of potential player who would recognize them would be small.

If you use historical named weapons (from myths), then your version comes with the baggage associated with all of the myths surrounding said weapons, for anyone who does recognize the name. It will be hard to get that 'right', or to find the setting for items that are geographically diverse.

So, I'd say, stay away from names and even made up names from some ancient language, and instead focus on effects, with maybe a common name. But you will want cool effects, and while that is work, it should more easily fit into whatever game you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
People put their own spin on real world mythology all the time--see Thor movies. That is one strange Vorpal Blade description in this list, but I don't care if it is 'right' by Lewis Caroll or not.

Yes, you might turn off some people (I'm sure people get upset at how many errors there are in fictional representation of the Norse religion all the time), but I think the advantages outweigh the negative consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Bill always suggested the two-handed Vorpal Eggbeater (for which he actually made a WHFRP weapon for).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vorpal blade cuts off heads with a snicker-snack. Where did you get this idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
As a D&D player, I don't recognize most of those weapons. So, id say that the number of potential player who would recognize them would be small.

If you use historical named weapons (from myths), then your version comes with the baggage associated with all of the myths surrounding said weapons, for anyone who does recognize the name. It will be hard to get that 'right', or to find the setting for items that are geographically diverse.

So, I'd say, stay away from names and even made up names from some ancient language, and instead focus on effects, with maybe a common name. But you will want cool effects, and while that is work, it should more easily fit into whatever game you come up with.

I am quite interested in what you are suggesting, but cannot follow you properly. Will you be able to better explain this? From what I understand, you are generally saying if we go with legendary themes, it will be difficult to relate to their actual myths around them? But if we do our own versions of those legendary weapons surely the problem will be settled. Example Excalibane - a holy weapon that great knights use to banish evil. And it can be a Mace instead of a sword, but still having the holy attribute of Excalibur.

As for the vorpal blade, it was used in many game references. The snicker snack from the original poem used is referenced as a sound of rapidly cutting noises. In Castlevania Alucard can find this rare weapon and it slashes many many times over when you attack just once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excalibane would be okay, but at that point just call it a Holy weapon and be done with it. "bane" weapons mean a specific thing in D&D. Again, unless you are generic, like holy, then specific references run a risk of association confusion.

In most of D&D, IIRC, a vorpal blade simply had a chance to behead, which tended to insta-kill most single headed monsters. Having said that, I kind of like the effect of a magic weapon that creates a blade barrier (defensive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly voted for weapons I hadn't heard of because their stories sounded neat. Always like to learn a new legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing some badly translated fighting game on the Dreamcast a while ago and it had a pretty neat story for one of the characters. He had essentially trained his entire life to be powerful enough to gain a mythical god-tier level sword that would grant it's user the ability to never be defeated.

After you play through his story arc you eventually come to a final showdown against the owner of this mythical sword and the character beats him, like everyone else he has dueled up to this point, and upon picking up the sword it dawns on him that the sword is nothing more than an ornament. The power of the myth of the sword itself had actually given him the will and discipline to become powerful enough to never know defeat.

At the end of the game he throws the supposedly god-tier sword into a waterfall, and then in the future the myth switches to the simple, heirloom sword he had used all along to now being the mythical sword. Kind of a clever way to say that ideas and stories last longer than steel. I'm not sure if this based on some actual mythology or not, but I'd be curious to read it if it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I think I see where the potential disconnect is now. You were relating stuff to the world you are very comfortable and familiar with - D&D. To be honest, Medieval Lords really prefers to go unique style and do stuff like creating a Dwarf race where the dwarves are blue skinned and are short but have really large heads, instead of the usual grey skin or normal skin and just being short. This is because they are done so many times to death, that a fresh angle would feel more interesting.

Calling Excalibane just a Holy Weapon will not have that cool unique identity as you already pointed out, and would not feel as 'cool' to us. We are quite attracted by the idea of retheming legendary weapons, but with our fresh twist.

@Party Hats As for storywise, I can relate to it with a chinese martial arts novel where two lovers get together because they were tricked into thinking the plain water they drank was drugged as aphrodisiac but they later found out it was just plain water, and they had long since been in love with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to everyone who has helped us out! We will now work on the Kickstarter expansion! The top 6 are:

1 and 2) Excalibur & Mjollnir
3)Aegis
4) Vorpal Blade
5) Masamune
6) Gungnir

The 7th is a very close Kusanagi. We will now work internally on our own votes, but most probably will adhere as closely to the public opinion as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaydee Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
Ah late to the party. But I totally approve of going for a fresh twist on the original weapons. Can't wait to see what your version of Excalibur will be. coolcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Huang
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.MedievaLords.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaydee83 wrote:
Ah late to the party. But I totally approve of going for a fresh twist on the original weapons. Can't wait to see what your version of Excalibur will be. coolcool

We are very excited to let you guys see our version. It has taken a totally DIFFERENT turn from the usual image you have in your minds!

P.S: Thank you for reading our KS update and taking the effort to create an account and poll here on BGG. You guys really rock with your love for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.