Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just bought this expansion and I have just finished reading the rules.

Please keep in mind I have not played a game yet so I have not had a chance to see this rule in effect. Maybe it will make more sense after I have played a couple of games.

When you fully attend the combat you get to play your normal turn including: use skill tokens, mana and draw up to a full hand when you are done, but, you have to skip your next turn. When you partially attend the combat, no mana, no skill tokens and you don't get to draw up to a full hand, but, you don't have to skip a turn. Are you not vulnerable to an attack from Volkare regardless if your token is flipped or not? Would it not be better to have a full hand of cards to defend another potential attack vs.a partial hand? Missing a turn, or, not missing a turn seems irrelevant to me here. When is it good strategy to partially attend the combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, you're vulnerable to attack from Volkare even if your token is flipped down. Remember though that Volkare scenarios also allow the option to flee combat, taking some wounds as dictated by the scenario. That is often a better option than facing him unprepared, partially or fully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickjunyor wrote:
When you fully attend the combat you get to play your normal turn including: use skill tokens, mana and draw up to a full hand when you are done, but, you have to skip your next turn. When you partially attend the combat, no mana, no skill tokens and you don't get to draw up to a full hand, but, you don't have to skip a turn. Are you not vulnerable to an attack from Volkare regardless if your token is flipped or not? Would it not be better to have a full hand of cards to defend another potential attack vs.a partial hand? Missing a turn, or, not missing a turn seems irrelevant to me here. When is it good strategy to partially attend the combat?

This is a very good question, but it probably belongs in the Strategy Forum.

In the case of an attack by Volkare, if you are ready to fight, fully attend. Otherwise, run away and take a few Wounds.

In a multiplayer game with PvP on, you should try to judge what the aggressor is trying to accomplish. Often he just wants to force you to retreat to gain a few fame points. If so, just partially attend, and let him hit you for 2 or 3 points of damage. He will force you to retreat and get his fame (if you had more fame than him), and you don't even have to waste a single card. In my opinion, partially attending is usually correct in a multiplayer game.

In a two player game, this issue can become very complex. You should ask these questions:
1. How much Attack am I likely to face?
2. Am I in danger of being knocked out if I partially attend?
3. Will fully attending give me a chance to win the combat?
4. Will fully attending give me extra block from my skills?
5. Should I partially attend, and then rest or run away on my own turn?
6. Could my opponent be bluffing? Maybe he is trying to trick me into wasting my turn by fully attending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.