Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Too Many Bones» Forums » General

Subject: A word of caution to Strategist backers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Strategist backer from a previous campaign and I really love Hoplomachus and the games that Chip Theory Games is putting out. I also can't say I'm disappointed with getting Too Many Bones for $1 plus the shipping costs.

However, as a word of caution (or perhaps "awareness" is a better term)if you are backing at a Strategist level. As a Strategist backer we only get the BASE pledge (in this case the $98 pledge). The two additional characters are being offered in the pledge level above this for $44 more, but based on my confirmation with Adam, the Strategist backers have to pay $50 for those 2 characters.

Why this is, I don't know. I know it's only $6, but it's more the principle that bothers me. Frankly I'm a little miffed about it since not only have I invested in something without seeing it or knowing about it, that I would think dropping money based on blind faith of future developments that may/may not get funded on Kickstarter should also give you a bigger reward (yes I know I'm getting the $98 pledge for $1). At a minimum, those Strategists should be offered the upgrades at the differential costs between the Base pledge level and the higher level.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot tell if you are kidding, serious or just really messed up.

You are paying $1 for a $98 game and complaining that you have to pay $50 for ADD-ONS? Remember that the term "Add-On" means extra stuff not required for play and not included in the base game.

I might have missed something and you are miffed because you though Strategists would be getting all the add-ons along with the games. I do not recall seeing that option - it was all future games.

Maybe "reminder" would be better than "word of caution"?

Also, most KS campaigns are "great unknowns" since you generally do not get to play before you pay. It IS all about faith. Well, faith, patience and risk.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
I'm a Strategist backer from a previous campaign and I really love Hoplomachus and the games that Chip Theory Games is putting out. I also can't say I'm disappointed with getting Too Many Bones for $1 plus the shipping costs.

However, as a word of caution (or perhaps "awareness" is a better term)if you are backing at a Strategist level. As a Strategist backer we only get the BASE pledge (in this case the $98 pledge). The two additional characters are being offered in the pledge level above this for $44 more, but based on my confirmation with Adam, the Strategist backers have to pay $50 for those 2 characters.

Why this is, I don't know. I know it's only $6, but it's more the principle that bothers me. Frankly I'm a little miffed about it since not only have I invested in something without seeing it or knowing about it, that I would think dropping money based on blind faith of future developments that may/may not get funded on Kickstarter should also give you a bigger reward (yes I know I'm getting the $98 pledge for $1). At a minimum, those Strategists should be offered the upgrades at the differential costs between the Base pledge level and the higher level.


My add-ons were $25 ea; how do you get them for only $44?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

We apologize about the unfortunate situation this has set up. There are a number of factors that come into play here, including the lower shipping cost you get (compared with Full Party). Some Strategists might prefer not to opt in the Add-ons and just get the $2 less on shipping. We wanted to try and be mindful of all our Strategists and make it more a-la-carte shopping. Also, please note that we greatly reduced shipping costs of add-ons for this campaign, so hopefully this will help our previous Strategists who want them all

We simply wanted to incentivize our new Strategists with a head start on Add-ons.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Regards,

Adam
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dewdundency wrote:
Kevin,

We apologize about the unfortunate situation this has set up. There are a number of factors that come into play here, including the lower shipping cost you get (compared with Full Party). Some Strategists might prefer not to opt in the Add-ons and just get the $2 less on shipping. We wanted to try and be mindful of all our Strategists and make it more a-la-carte shopping. Also, please note that we greatly reduced shipping costs of add-ons for this campaign, so hopefully this will help our previous Strategists who want them all

We simply wanted to incentivize our new Strategists with a head start on Add-ons.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Regards,

Adam


Hi Adam,
Thanks for responding and explaining the logic behind providing the Base Game without the additional add-ons. The real problem is that the add-ons themselves cost more than someone that's backing at the Bones Full Party pledge level who isn't taking future speculation into the picture like the Strategists have. Again, it's not about the extra $6 - it's more about the principle that past Strategists are not getting the same deal as others that either haven't taken the risk, or are unwilling to take the risk at a Strategist level going forward. So why not consider making an add-on for the Strategists which consider this after the campaign ends? At any rate, I'm beyond exited for the game and can't wait for it to hit the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I cannot tell if you are kidding, serious or just really messed up.

You are paying $1 for a $98 game and complaining that you have to pay $50 for ADD-ONS? Remember that the term "Add-On" means extra stuff not required for play and not included in the base game.

I might have missed something and you are miffed because you though Strategists would be getting all the add-ons along with the games. I do not recall seeing that option - it was all future games.

Maybe "reminder" would be better than "word of caution"?

Also, most KS campaigns are "great unknowns" since you generally do not get to play before you pay. It IS all about faith. Well, faith, patience and risk.


Glad to know I'm "messed up" when I'm thinking logically...

I don't care about paying for add-ons when they are offered at the same price that others can get them for in the campaign. The fact is the Full Bones pledge level offers the 2 add ons for $44 more instead of $50 for the base pledge level. As someone who has put speculative money down on a company to produce something, my only expectation was that we be offered the add-ons at the same price that others can get them for now.

Oh, and BTW - I didn't pay $1 for this game. My Strategist level paid for it before, so while I'm paying $1 now, if nothing else comes out, then I paid $212 for the same game you can buy for $98.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elder Zeekutar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Maybe I don't understand what you are explaining.
I am pledging in the kickstarter as well.

I don't quite understand why putting more money into a pledge and getting a discount on products doesn't sit well with you.

The spend more/save more method of buying items isn't a new concept.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like:

You put a base amount into the game, but decide to add on some other stuff later, you spend a certain amount.
OR you put more into the game right away and spend slightly less.

Keep in mind that no one has actually spent any money yet since the kickstarter is still active at the time of this post.

And by putting more money it it allows for more stretch goals.

Is there something I'm missing? please explain if so.

EDIT: Did not see the strategist part of your post.
Is that from a previous kickstarter?
maybe thats where I am confused.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zeekutar wrote:
Maybe I don't understand what you are explaining.
I am pledging in the kickstarter as well.

I don't quite understand why putting more money into a pledge and getting a discount on products doesn't sit well with you.

The spend more/save more method of buying items isn't a new concept.

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like:

You put a base amount into the game, but decide to add on some other stuff later, you spend a certain amount.
OR you put more into the game right away and spend slightly less.

Keep in mind that no one has actually spent any money yet since the kickstarter is still active at the time of this post.

And by putting more money it it allows for more stretch goals.

Is there something I'm missing? please explain if so.

EDIT: Did not see the strategist part of your post.
Is that from a previous kickstarter?
maybe thats where I am confused.


Simply...

The Strategist levels are there to support the company if you're willing to take some risk, and in return you receive all future games from CTG that are released on KS for free (+ shipping).

My Strategist cost $250 - $38 for Origins, so the added cost to me was $212. So my risk was $212 on the promise that CTG would produce more games and without any insight or playtesting of their future games.

The current campaign has 2 pledge levels:
Base game $98
Full Bones $142
The difference in the pack is that you're getting the 2 character add-ons with the Full Bones. If you buy them separate then they are $25 each.

So, as a Strategist if I want the additional 2 characters I'm paying $50 instead of the reduced cost at the Full Bones level ($44), and that's despite the fact that they have had the funds from a previous campaign.

Again, I believe in CTG, Adam & Josh, and think they're going to do great things as evidenced by this game otherwise I wouldn't have backed them at the level I did before. However, I believe it's a mistake to charge the people willing to pony up funds in advance of even seeing the development of a game more for the same materials than those people whom are just backing in the one KS campaign.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eastwoodk,

I would more than gladly give you the $250 you paid for Hoplo Origins' Strategist level to transfer your strategist level to me. Please let me know if this is up you alley because I would love to balance out international shipping, which is around $60 for me vs the US' $14. I could then afford add-ons since that money is tied up in shipping.

Thank you for your time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if people are really reading the OP's post or if they just feel like attacking him for no reason but imo he's got a legitimate gripe. It would make way more sense for CTG to give him a $98 credit in the pledge manager verses locking him in a specific tier. When he's locked in the bottom tier he has to spend even more for the addons. If he had a credit for the game he could just pay the difference for a higher tier. This really shouldn't be hard on backers that are investing in this ks and beyond.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Guerrero
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:

The current campaign has 2 pledge levels:
Base game $98
Full Bones $142


At least for EU it's also a difference in shipping. 33$ vs 39$. There's your 6$ missing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
martimer wrote:
I cannot tell if you are kidding, serious or just really messed up.

You are paying $1 for a $98 game and complaining that you have to pay $50 for ADD-ONS? Remember that the term "Add-On" means extra stuff not required for play and not included in the base game.

I might have missed something and you are miffed because you though Strategists would be getting all the add-ons along with the games. I do not recall seeing that option - it was all future games.

Maybe "reminder" would be better than "word of caution"?

Also, most KS campaigns are "great unknowns" since you generally do not get to play before you pay. It IS all about faith. Well, faith, patience and risk.


Glad to know I'm "messed up" when I'm thinking logically...

I don't care about paying for add-ons when they are offered at the same price that others can get them for in the campaign. The fact is the Full Bones pledge level offers the 2 add ons for $44 more instead of $50 for the base pledge level. As someone who has put speculative money down on a company to produce something, my only expectation was that we be offered the add-ons at the same price that others can get them for now.

Oh, and BTW - I didn't pay $1 for this game. My Strategist level paid for it before, so while I'm paying $1 now, if nothing else comes out, then I paid $212 for the same game you can buy for $98.
I THINK I understand what you are saying - You are upset that it will cost you $6 more to get the expansions than it will cost someone pledging at the expansions level. You will pay $50 and this lucky guy $144. That certainly sounds like a valid complaint - One that I would never have thought of.

As for nothing else coming out from CTG, that is the risk. One that it appears you took when you backed before. (Me too, but I am not a strategist, so I am only risking one game at a time.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, thanks for sharing this. I know Adam has already replied but I'd like to add my 2 cents. First off, you have a point and we see it! I agree with you that its the principle of the matter more than the $6. Here is a little backstory on this pledge level to clarify things and put some perspective around it.

Just starting out as CTG, Adam and I came up with this concept to 1) Add a boost to the front end of our campaigns, and 2) Reward those who liked what we were doing with our games and as a company by giving them a level where, if they invested early, they would reap some awesome benefits.

We've been very careful with this reward level because it was instantly popular and sold out every campaign. We've now had 3 campaigns (in our 4th) and already some of the original backers are starting to get close to getting all future games for free! The more we grow, the more valuable this level gets and as you may have noticed, Too Many Bones Strategists are paying even more for this level because of our growth and the games we have lined up in the future!

You scored big by getting in at Hoplo Origins and now are already reaping the benefits with a $98 game. Obviously we cannot continue this level forever or it will eventually catch up with us! But its been fun to offer a limited number each campaign. One way we keep from loosing our shirts is by offering only the BASE game at this level. If we included anything else (such as Add-ons, discounted Add-ons, strategist exclusives) this level really wouldn't have been something we could consider.

So, while I agree with your point that it kind of sucks to be paying what the "Base" level KS backer is paying for those Add-ons - it gets very tricky to do it any other way. For instance, we have our BONE COLLECTOR level in our current campaign that grants discounts on all previous games as well. If we made the FULL PARTY discounts available to Strategists, then those should be as well. That was never part of the plan or promised when we created this level.

BUT, as I said, you bring up a good point and we understand what you are getting at. Its not about the $6, its about the fact that you shelled out big bucks to support us and this feels like you are being penalized. As Adam said, we did try to accommodate our Strats in other ways, though minor, such as the reduced shipping specifically for our Strats.

Thank you for making us aware of this frustration. Know that it will be an ongoing discussion for Adam and I and we will seriously consider this when we create our future campaigns.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
I'm not sure if people are really reading the OP's post or if they just feel like attacking him for no reason but imo he's got a legitimate gripe. It would make way more sense for CTG to give him a $98 credit in the pledge manager verses locking him in a specific tier. When he's locked in the bottom tier he has to spend even more for the addons. If he had a credit for the game he could just pay the difference for a higher tier. This really shouldn't be hard on backers that are investing in this ks and beyond.


I get OP's issue. I just think it is a bit greedy, IMO to want a $6 discount when he will eventually get games for FREE for years. (Free = games' value that surpass the KS strategist cost.) It will eventually completely, and ridiculously balance out in OP's favor.

He is getting ALL SGs at that level, and as pointed out above, slightly reduced shipping. If another company did a Strategist level such as this one, I bet SGs might not be included. In the end, add-ons are extras, not something required to play the game.

One last thing, the strategist level jumped up from $250 to $450 this campaign. So in reality OP has $200 more "in his pocket" than his fellow strategists.

I really wish I had been able to get in at this level, but I missed out. However, I wouldn't have split hairs over the add-ons because they're extra and I would be getting huge savings over time with the Strat level.

My offer to buy OP's strategist level still stands though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no skin in the game here - I am neither a Strategist nor a backer of the current game. This gives me a certain detachment, i suppose. I completely agree that the OP has a valid point. Here's why.

People are countering saying he is "greedy" about being upset about the price difference, and that he should be happy he is getting the $98 game for $1. As he himself pointed out, he's not. He paid $250 to get a $38 game, for the privilege to get this one for $98. That wasn't free. It also wasn't without risk. It was not only blind faith that he would LIKE the future games of this company, it's blind faith that there WOULD BE future games of this company. He was risking a non-trivial amount of money on a company that had, at that time (and frankly, even now) a nice but very limited track record.

Now, by the same token, I understand their needs. They have to protect themselves to an extent. Especially when their audience is as small as this one is, accruing a few dozen "free" recipients on a game whose buyers number in hundreds creates a lot of cost.

People are jumping on the OP for greed, but it sounds like more one of those "I'm angry that you are ungrateful that you have something I don't". Like he isn't appreciating enough what you would gladly have. Except he took the risk. You didn't.

A LOT of companies have gone the "pay huge now for all future" route. And if you look at that landscape it is littered with people bemoaning having done so, because either they faith is not rewarded with what they want, or it is just flat out stopped. These guys seem to know what they are doing, and frankly if I valued their games at the cost they present them at, I'd strongly consider being a Strategist myself.

It, IMO, is NOT asking too much to be given the same treatment as other backers for those that invested blindly in this company. A lot of times I see backers of campaigns complain afterwards about all kinds of things -- heaven forbid a game's retail release got out before every backer has theirs in their hands first. You've probably all seen those ranting threads. And these are backers who have, in reality, preordered a game, acting as if they were somehow part owners of the company or the game. Ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Here we have someone who IS an investor, not a pre sale buyer. He may not "own stock", but he invested his money and is now earning his dividends from have done so. And if *I* invested my money in a company blindly, I would be irked too if I received less favorable treatment than people who just walked up and bought a pre-sale. By all rights, I should get better treatment, honestly. He's not even asking for that. He's saying he shouldn't be in a WORSE situation.

Not unreasonable at all. I believe him when he says it is not about the $6. It's about the respect he is due as someone who out his wallet where his mouth was and said that he believed in this company. That sort of loyalty should be rewarded, not effectively punished.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hestiansun, while I applaud your measured objective argument, I can't help but to disagree that he's taking a leap of faith more than any other backer. We're all taking one because the product could fail to deliver (not likely though).

I get the OP's POV, it's just an opinion I would never hold were I to be in the same situation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
We're all taking one because the product could fail to deliver (not likely though)


We're taking a $98 leap. He took a $250 leap. He did make a larger sacrifice back when he was a backer on a Hoplomachus campaign.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
Hestiansun, while I applaud your measured objective argument, I can't help but to disagree that he's taking a leap of faith more than any other backer. We're all taking one because the product could fail to deliver (not likely though).

I get the OP's POV, it's just an opinion I would never hold were I to be in the same situation.


I can certainly understand why one would disagree, but this would be my counterpoint to your specific argument that he made the same leap as others backing this one particular game:

As the follow-up poster said, OP took a $212 leap of faith. And that was BEFORE THIS GAME WAS ANNOUNCED, that it would deliver, and be something he wanted.

You took a $98 leap of faith AFTER this game was announced, KNOWING it was something you wanted.

Two very different things, is my point. Not only is the pure size of his leap larger, it was done even more blindly.

His faith was in the company. Your faith is more directly tied to this particular game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
kraasn wrote:
Hestiansun, while I applaud your measured objective argument, I can't help but to disagree that he's taking a leap of faith more than any other backer. We're all taking one because the product could fail to deliver (not likely though).

I get the OP's POV, it's just an opinion I would never hold were I to be in the same situation.


I can certainly understand why one would disagree, but this would be my counterpoint to your specific argument that he made the same leap as others backing this one particular game:

As the follow-up poster said, OP took a $212 leap of faith. And that was BEFORE THIS GAME WAS ANNOUNCED, that it would deliver, and be something he wanted.

You took a $98 leap of faith AFTER this game was announced, KNOWING it was something you wanted.

Two very different things, is my point. Not only is the pure size of his leap larger, it was done even more blindly.

His faith was in the company. Your faith is more directly tied to this particular game.


I would have taken the same leap had I seen Hoplo Origins at the time. The Strategist level is a no-brainer (to me). And while Bones is cool and what not, I am more interested in Hoplo, which is why I bought it from CTG on their website while this campaign is ongoing. As for taking the leap here, I do that not being 100% "all in" on TMB. The game looks neat, but I am more interested in helping the company achieve its goals. I would, if possible take a $450 leap right now if a slot were open. The company seems to be making some strides and making quality products and I would love to contribute more.

So again, I must emphasis that while I understand your and the OP's points of view, I still would not have this issue if I were in that position.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That all said, we will always have varying opinions and that is OK by me. I've put in my two cents here. Now to return to the KS campaign to see if I can help answer some questions. Adam just welcomed his son into the world. He's gonna be pretty busy I imagine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I can see validity to both points of view, I mostly find myself surprised the reaction to a $6 difference goes so far that you fire shots at the very company you have backed to get "one of everything they make", despite the impact a "word of caution" post might have on the success of that company on this and future projects.

I guess it should be seen as a matter of integrity above mere materialism, but it also strikes me as pooping in your own bed too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Takeoutdinner wrote:
Kevin, thanks for sharing this. I know Adam has already replied but I'd like to add my 2 cents. First off, you have a point and we see it! I agree with you that its the principle of the matter more than the $6. Here is a little backstory on this pledge level to clarify things and put some perspective around it.

Just starting out as CTG, Adam and I came up with this concept to 1) Add a boost to the front end of our campaigns, and 2) Reward those who liked what we were doing with our games and as a company by giving them a level where, if they invested early, they would reap some awesome benefits.

We've been very careful with this reward level because it was instantly popular and sold out every campaign. We've now had 3 campaigns (in our 4th) and already some of the original backers are starting to get close to getting all future games for free! The more we grow, the more valuable this level gets and as you may have noticed, Too Many Bones Strategists are paying even more for this level because of our growth and the games we have lined up in the future!

You scored big by getting in at Hoplo Origins and now are already reaping the benefits with a $98 game. Obviously we cannot continue this level forever or it will eventually catch up with us! But its been fun to offer a limited number each campaign. One way we keep from loosing our shirts is by offering only the BASE game at this level. If we included anything else (such as Add-ons, discounted Add-ons, strategist exclusives) this level really wouldn't have been something we could consider.

So, while I agree with your point that it kind of sucks to be paying what the "Base" level KS backer is paying for those Add-ons - it gets very tricky to do it any other way. For instance, we have our BONE COLLECTOR level in our current campaign that grants discounts on all previous games as well. If we made the FULL PARTY discounts available to Strategists, then those should be as well. That was never part of the plan or promised when we created this level.

BUT, as I said, you bring up a good point and we understand what you are getting at. Its not about the $6, its about the fact that you shelled out big bucks to support us and this feels like you are being penalized. As Adam said, we did try to accommodate our Strats in other ways, though minor, such as the reduced shipping specifically for our Strats.

Thank you for making us aware of this frustration. Know that it will be an ongoing discussion for Adam and I and we will seriously consider this when we create our future campaigns.


Hi Josh,
Thanks for also responding here. You're correct that the cost of the Strategist level is growing and as you mentioned it's because of what the company has planned. I think both you and Adam know that I could care less about the $6 difference, but am making more of a point to consider on how to manage the Strategist backers. One of the posters above recommended giving a credit in the pledge manager which would allow the Strategists to select their own pledge level and upgrade it as they'd like - and I think that's a great idea if it could be managed.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
I get OP's issue. I just think it is a bit greedy, IMO to want a $6 discount when he will eventually get games for FREE for years. (Free = games' value that surpass the KS strategist cost.) It will eventually completely, and ridiculously balance out in OP's favor.

He is getting ALL SGs at that level, and as pointed out above, slightly reduced shipping. If another company did a Strategist level such as this one, I bet SGs might not be included. In the end, add-ons are extras, not something required to play the game.

One last thing, the strategist level jumped up from $250 to $450 this campaign. So in reality OP has $200 more "in his pocket" than his fellow strategists.

I really wish I had been able to get in at this level, but I missed out. However, I wouldn't have split hairs over the add-ons because they're extra and I would be getting huge savings over time with the Strat level.

My offer to buy OP's strategist level still stands though.


You're definitely entitled to your opinion that you think I'm being greedy, and surely I won't change that. As others here have already mentioned, I made a speculative pledge for future campaigns that may or may not come. Let's not forget that if the business model changed from using Kickstarter to something else that CTG is under no obligation to provide future games because it's only related to "games produced through Kickstarter". Do I think they're the type to bait and switch this - absolutely not, but future business models change and it could be something that happens in the future.

And just because there seems to be a problem with the math:

$250 level previous campaign - $38 game = $212 paid for the Strategist
$450 level current campaign - $142 Full bones = $308 paid for the Strategist
====
$98 difference

Sure it's more money now, but you also have some idea of the second developed game - at the time when I took that pledge level the only game they had developed (of which we were publically aware) was Hoplomachus, and 1 picture of a drawing.

So, do I have an additional $98 in my pocket over the new Strategists - yes. Did I take more risk then them - yes.

In the end, I think Adam and Josh know I support them - I've offered to help with playtesting and logistics; I've proactively tried to promote their game and getting others involved. So don't mistake my request to have parity for "greed" as I've already offered more than money to help their company.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
kraasn wrote:
Hestiansun, while I applaud your measured objective argument, I can't help but to disagree that he's taking a leap of faith more than any other backer. We're all taking one because the product could fail to deliver (not likely though).

I get the OP's POV, it's just an opinion I would never hold were I to be in the same situation.


I can certainly understand why one would disagree, but this would be my counterpoint to your specific argument that he made the same leap as others backing this one particular game:

As the follow-up poster said, OP took a $212 leap of faith. And that was BEFORE THIS GAME WAS ANNOUNCED, that it would deliver, and be something he wanted.

You took a $98 leap of faith AFTER this game was announced, KNOWING it was something you wanted.

Two very different things, is my point. Not only is the pure size of his leap larger, it was done even more blindly.

His faith was in the company. Your faith is more directly tied to this particular game.


I would have taken the same leap had I seen Hoplo Origins at the time. The Strategist level is a no-brainer (to me). And while Bones is cool and what not, I am more interested in Hoplo, which is why I bought it from CTG on their website while this campaign is ongoing. As for taking the leap here, I do that not being 100% "all in" on TMB. The game looks neat, but I am more interested in helping the company achieve its goals. I would, if possible take a $450 leap right now if a slot were open. The company seems to be making some strides and making quality products and I would love to contribute more.

So again, I must emphasis that while I understand your and the OP's points of view, I still would not have this issue if I were in that position.


True. But you didn't.

You seem to be arguing from a place of "I should have the same level of risk as the Strategist backer because I would have been a Strategic backer if I had seen it in enough time".

Except. You didn't. And you're not.

So just because you would very willingly trade places with the OP or buy in NOW as a Strategist for the future, don't confuse that with actually being one, with respect to what you are owed.

They don't owe you any more than any other standard backer because you wish you could have been a Strategist but aren't.

They do, however, IMO, owe a greater debt to someone that gave them a huge influx of cash before seeing a single game they had produced than someone who pre-orders this current game after seeing the results of the first game and the design of the second.

If you cannot see how one is a greater (and blinder) commitment than the other, then clearly we will just have to agree to disagree here.

P.S.: Based around what I have seen, taking into account the scale of this particular company's operation, the extra $212 the OP gave them back when they were starting out is HUGE. The Hoplo Origins campaign raised $41,166. Of which $4,100 was Strategist backers of one level or another (they actually didn't even sell out of the Strategist level back then). The impact the Strategists had on this company's thriving status represented a huge amount of their cash flow. This wasn't just a case of someone throwing in some extra money for vanity, they were making a huge difference for this company. Compare this to the currently on-going campaign for Villages of Valeria, the second game from a new company so comparable in terms of track record and such. They also offered a "super backer" level at $249, with 13 backers, which represented slightly more than 2% of total revenue raised. How essential do you think those super backers were to getting the game made, AND setting up the company to produce future games? Vs. the 10% that the OP and his fellow Strategists gave for Hoplo Origins?

My whole point here is that you seem to have righteous indignation that the OP would ask for equal treatment with present backers because he already has the "privilege" of getting the base game for free* (*plus shipping). And I would tell you that thinking that YOU should get preferential treatment over HIM is an overly inflated sense of entitlement.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Strategist tier you are paying to get all future base games from CTG.
Since there is no mentioning of how to handle bundle deals, I see no reason to expect special treatment.

With that being said, it would probably be wise for future projects that feature a Strategist tier to mention that all additional purchases are a la carte and not part of the deal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.