Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. Anyone tried mixing the expansions with the other base games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked, but my assumption is no.

Each "expansion" (2-6) has multiple chapters. each chapter has a setup card that requires certain locations to be used.

Also, the newer base games have new mechanics, so if you try using one expansion on a base game that doesn't have cards referenced for the new mechanics, you're kind of not going to be able to play the chapters.

For instances, Skull and Shackles introduced ships, and Wrath of the Righteous has mythic charges. Each of those mechanics are unique to their respective paths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
rokkon wrote:

Each "expansion" (2-6) has multiple chapters. each chapter has a setup card that requires certain locations to be used.

Also, the newer base games have new mechanics, so if you try using one expansion on a base game that doesn't have cards referenced for the new mechanics, you're kind of not going to be able to play the chapters.

For instances, Skull and Shackles introduced ships, and Wrath of the Righteous has mythic charges. Each of those mechanics are unique to their respective paths...

How about mixing just base sets and playing it as a single game set up (random locations, villains and henchman).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
rokkon wrote:

How about mixing just base sets and playing it as a single game set up (random locations, villains and henchman).

You can't really do that - every scenario is balanced. It would likely be pretty lopsided with loopholes that cause weird situations (or unwinnable ones).

However you can try to play "gamemaster" and create your own "base set" and scenarios by mix and matching cards in an intelligent way. It wouldn't be trivial to do so but for some people it would be a fun project... This is a more and more likely scenario as more and more cards are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Velusion wrote:

However you can try to play "gamemaster" and create your own "base set" and scenarios by mix and matching cards in an intelligent way. It wouldn't be trivial to do so but for some people it would be a fun project... This is a more and more likely scenario as more and more cards are released.

This!

Is you mix and match different sets, you have to create new story and rules. Maybe even some new cards and mix them together to get a new game.
After that a lot of playtesting, to find out is the whole set is balanced with different characters, different amount of players and so on.
But it is possible and also can be fun!

It is always nice to see a new way of using your old cards in the new setting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
[q="Velusion"]It is always nice to see a new way of using your old cards in the new setting!

It just seems to me these sets could be mix with Monsters and Barriers without issues, in the majority of situations. Using locations without scenerios or adventure paths but using some of the custom rules for Linier Location card layouts could really create a unique way to play for "one and done" games.

This would give me more of a reason to buy future base sets or a way to add value to the game after all of your characters have leveled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.