Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Rape, Take 57 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought these guys had learned not to talk about this crap. He's a State Representative, but still!

State Rep. Pete Nielson (R) wrote:
Now, I’m of the understanding that in many cases of rape it does not involve any pregnancy because of the trauma of the incident. That may be true with incest a little bit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullshit.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/health/rape-pregnancy/index.ht...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-20/news/sns-rt-us...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/context-and-variation/he...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Good thin to note that doctors don't consider rape emotional stress.


Quote:
"The acute stress does not have the same impact," [Dr. Phlean] added, referring to the act of rape.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your logic is flawed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:

So I repeat, there is no evidence that disproves this state legislator.


He would have to prove his claim. Science.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
That "may be true." That is what he claimed.

No, read it again. The "may" was regarding incest
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not my interpretation, that's yours.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never go full rape-troll.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Donald wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:

So I repeat, there is no evidence that disproves this state legislator.
He would have to prove his claim. Science.
That "may be true." That is what he claimed.

It is bullshit to "claim" that that is bullshit. I look forward to the proof (that doesn't exist as I said), science...or should those people not have to prove their claim?


Wut?

You say there is nothing to disprove the legislator. The scientific method says you have to be able to prove your claim. Akin's claim is bullshit until he has something to back it up.

The article you link to then links to the AJOG report that says "Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency." Akin needs to refute this to be not bullshit.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Would you idiots stop enabling rape troll?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
#NotAllRapes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
There is no evidence that supports this counter-claim. If there is, produce it.


Did you read the article you link to?


Quote:
“The short answer: There’s no basis to what he’s saying,” Jonathan Gottschall, a professor at Washington and Jefferson College who co-wrote the 2003 Human Nature article with his wife, wrote to POLITICO in an e-mail. “If anything, the evidence is the opposite: Rape victims have a higher likelihood of conceiving, per-incident of intercourse.

“It’s just bogus,” Nancy Snyderman, a medical doctor who serves as NBC News’s medical editor, said Monday on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports.” “It’s not written anywhere. It’s not taught anywhere.”

Snyderman said the chances of getting pregnant from rape and getting pregnant from unprotected sex are the same — 5 percent.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Donald wrote:
Did you read the article you link to?[/url]


HELLO, no? Because he's trolling? And yet, here you are, still responding like he isn't. He can do this for pages and pages.

Knock yourself out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Your logic is flawed.


I believe the more appropriate adjective is "diseased"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French Polynesia
flag msg tools
mb
she2 wrote:
Donald wrote:
Did you read the article you link to?[/url]


HELLO, no? Because he's trolling? And yet, here you are, still responding like he isn't. He can do this for pages and pages.

Knock yourself out.


The person who started the thread is the troll here - at least the OT (original troll). Why start a thread about some minor elected official from some random unidentified state? To troll. That's why he mentioned the (R), as if it matters whether he is a republican or not.

The guy who got snagged by the troll isn't trolling at all, he was trolled and is now flopping around. So basically, you're wrong in not correctly identifying who is trolling. On a side note - why are BGG admins trolling this forum? This particularly admin seems to do nothing here but chunk out little one liners and ask moronic questions that he himself dodges when turned back on him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French Polynesia
flag msg tools
mb
Sterling A wrote:
she2 wrote:
Donald wrote:
Did you read the article you link to?[/url]


HELLO, no? Because he's trolling? And yet, here you are, still responding like he isn't. He can do this for pages and pages.

Knock yourself out.


The person who started the thread is the troll here - at least the OT (original troll). Why start a thread about some minor elected official from some random unidentified state? To troll. That's why he mentioned the (R), as if it matters whether he is a republican or not.

The guy who got snagged by the troll isn't trolling at all, he was trolled and is now flopping around. So basically, you're wrong in not correctly identifying who is trolling. On a side note - why are BGG admins trolling this forum? This particularly admin seems to do nothing here but chunk out little one liners and ask moronic questions that he himself dodges when turned back on him.


So I looked this guy up. he truly is a minor functionary. Hailing from a county in Idaho that boasts a population of 26,000 people -- half are seemingly transient USAF as there is a spectacular air base there, the guy is about as important to, well, anything, as the person who gets elected as secretary of a homeowner's association in a moderately large condo development in South Florida.

So yes, the thread is a troll and therefore so is this particular BGG admin.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:


5%?

Huh. Are women who are ovulating more likely to be raped? I mean, you'd kind of expect that, but it's fairly disturbing.

I can see the PA's now though: Hey ladies, be careful not to engage in your natural cycle around men.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
Sterling A wrote:
she2 wrote:
Donald wrote:
Did you read the article you link to?[/url]


HELLO, no? Because he's trolling? And yet, here you are, still responding like he isn't. He can do this for pages and pages.

Knock yourself out.


The person who started the thread is the troll here - at least the OT (original troll). Why start a thread about some minor elected official from some random unidentified state? To troll. That's why he mentioned the (R), as if it matters whether he is a republican or not.

The guy who got snagged by the troll isn't trolling at all, he was trolled and is now flopping around. So basically, you're wrong in not correctly identifying who is trolling. On a side note - why are BGG admins trolling this forum? This particularly admin seems to do nothing here but chunk out little one liners and ask moronic questions that he himself dodges when turned back on him.


So I looked this guy up. he truly is a minor functionary. Hailing from a county in Idaho that boasts a population of 26,000 people -- half are seemingly transient USAF as there is a spectacular air base there, the guy is about as important to, well, anything, as the person who gets elected as secretary of a homeowner's association in a moderately large condo development in South Florida.

So yes, the thread is a troll and therefore so is this particular BGG admin.
For the same damn reason that people bang on about some4 unimportant college functionary getting the sack. They think it reveals the hidden face of the opposition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Your logic is flawed.


Logic needs to be applied before we can get into whether it is flawed or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Are you relying on Gottschall? Gottaschall already admitted that the numbers aren't written in stone. precisely because he his basing it off of NVAWS data, which when you look at the sub-groups of women who were raped, and taped women who became pregnant, the error rate from sample size is too great. do you need me to link to the NVAWS data that states as much? Or am I just supposed to take Gottschall's word for it? (or are you just taking his word for it?)


I'm going off the article you link to, the article you're basing your argument on. The one that says

Quote:
The medical community on Monday debunked Rep. Todd Akin’s claim that women who are raped are less likely to become pregnant

“Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency,” concluded the authors of a 1990s study

A separate 2003 article in the journal Human Nature estimated that rapes are twice as likely to result in pregnancies as consensual sex.

“If anything, the evidence is the opposite: Rape victims have a higher likelihood of conceiving, per-incident of intercourse.” - Jonathan Gottschall

“It’s just bogus,” Nancy Snyderman, a medical doctor who serves as NBC News’s medical editor


Show me where any of these scientific studies are refuted and Akin's is getting his data.


Quote:
But Gottschall did warn that methodological problems mean the numbers “aren’t carved in a stone.” Previous studies have shown anywhere from 1 percent to 10 percent of rapes result in pregnancy.


The numbers could be lower or they could be higher. But since the CDC sites them in their report I'm going to go with them.

Unless your sources have better credentials?


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Time To Consult The Republican Party Rape Advisory Charts!

jmilum wrote:
I thought these guys had learned not to talk about this crap. He's a State Representative, but still!

State Rep. Pete Nielson (R) wrote:
Now, I’m of the understanding that in many cases of rape it does not involve any pregnancy because of the trauma of the incident. That may be true with incest a little bit.

Correction: This would be *the 84th take* on Rape by an elected official of the Republican Party.

So, please correct the title of this thread for sake of accuracy.


LightRider wrote:
The female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down.

You must be talking about the Republican definition of "Legitimate Rape".

You can confirm this for yourself by checking out the second entry in Volume 1 of the Republican Party Rape Advisory Charts below.

































Whenever in doubt about what the latest Republican definitions of Rape are, always consult: http://www.goprapeadvisorychart.com



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow. That is disturbing.

I guess people who say a rape culture doesn't exist are really in denial.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Who the hell thumbs a Shreve post?

he did put the lie to your "a low-level nobody Republican somewhere" assertion. shame on him!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Drew1365 wrote:
Sterling A wrote:
The person who started the thread is the troll here - at least the OT (original troll). Why start a thread about some minor elected official from some random unidentified state? To troll. That's why he mentioned the (R), as if it matters whether he is a republican or not.


Yes, Jer is the troll here. And this is the strategy where a left-wing troll (Jer) discovers a low-level nobody Republican somewhere and then wants you to think he represents the entire party.


Oh, c'mon. I know you don't like Jer, but... I don't appreciate him posting this thread at all. But scoring cheap political points (as he's trying by posting this stupid thread) is hardly the same as CapNCrunch's post acting like rape protects one from pregnancy. Drew, at least be fair.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.