Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ever get rid of a game then re-purchase it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game [+] of [+] it [+] get [+] Ever [+] then [+] rid [+] re-purchase [+] [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmb
The subject line says it. Ever sell off, pass off, or throw out a game only to rebuy it? If so, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better question, ever buy a game, forget that you own it and repurchase it without having gotten rid of the original copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
The subject line says it. Ever sell off, pass off, or throw out a game only to rebuy it? If so, why?

No, not yet.

gvonl wrote:
Even better question, ever buy a game, forget that you own it and repurchase it without having gotten rid of the original copy?

Not long term like I think you mean, but yes. I purchased Firefly: The Game from my FLGS then the next day it was on my porch from Amazon. Oops. Oh well, it'll make a great gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this a few times:

Robinson Crusoe

Bought for multiplayer and it was just too tough for my kids. Discovered how cool solo play can be and reacquired it. This is an awesome, but tough, game to play solo.

Tokaido

Traded this away but bought it again when I found it on sale and have enjoyed it much more second time around

Lords of Waterdeep and Skullport

Another one traded away and then reacquired after my kids started to enjoy worker placement games

Alhambra

Traded away the big box edition after a good trade offer.
Reacquired the base game which is all I wanted anyway.

There may be a couple more too but that's all I recall right now.

Good topic...

Edit: Forbidden Deert

Traded this away stupidly. No excuses. Reacquired as its just a really great game to play with my kids

Edit 2: David B reminded me of Kingdom Builder: traded base game and nomads. Bought the big box version and glad I did. I'm sometimes stupid at this board game collecting lark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:

You mean like when I have a game on Steam, but then buy it again through GOG or GreenManGaming or Gamersgate or UPlay or Origin? Not yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold Kingdom Builder. Played it again about a year later with an expansion and realized it was better than I remembered. So I bought it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Maximuss wrote:

Now and again I decide to give a game another chance; Kraut & Rüben is one such game. In nearly every case, the result the second time is the same as the first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many times. In fact it's trackable in my collection given that I show the game as simultaneously both Owned and Previously Owned. Looks like 27 games. Some of those are still in shrink. I have carried out multiple campaigns to thin the collection, and a few times I had remorse about letting something go, so I rebought it (Luna, Ra). Sometimes I let it go soon after buying it because the market was hot and I was patient to wait for next printing (Dominant Species, Terra Mystica). Sometimes the new existence of an expansion makes me want to come back (Village, Hansa Teutonica, Edo, Tzolk'in). And sometimes I have no idea (Way Out West???).

I largely think this is a thing of the past for me, though, as I'm both better about knowing what not to get rid of, and more picky about what to get in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
badge
mb
Not sure if this counts but I purchased a duplicate data pack for Netrunner by accident. Some how I mixed up Study in Static with a different pack that I actually wanted duplicate cards of. I have also sold off several Warhammer Fantasy armies and then recollected the armies when a different edition of the game came out. The cost associated with that foul up will probably far surpass anything else listed in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I'm guilty of this. It's like they say, you don't realize how much you care about something until you miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy + the first cycle of expansions! I was able to get it cheap. Well I didn't repurchase it but I did get it back in a trade. The game really is amazingly well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

I've infrequently in past played a game with family/friends and if they enjoyed it I gave it to them. Then purchased a new copy of the game for myself. Otherwise no; I tend to hoard things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
yes, a couple of older wargames. and then , after playing a bit with them, i sold them again if i remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 words:

Advanced

Squad

Leader

...and YES, I'm still kicking myself for selling all of those (now) impossible to find modules.....

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with board games yet. But I did by Borderlands probably 3 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I haven't, but there are definitely games I've given up that I sometimes think about getting back. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colonel Williamson

Princeton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
Maximuss wrote:

No, not yet.

gvonl wrote:

Not long term like I think you mean, but yes. I purchased Firefly: The Game from my FLGS then the next day it was on my porch from Amazon. Oops. Oh well, it'll make a great gift.

I VERY MUCH recognize the situations as written above. .........blush

The duplicates then end up as gifts or traded for other games....

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Twilight Struggle, Scoville, Chronology. Lots more I'm regretting--just too many games out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many times.

Usually, I sell off a game that I like simply because I have no one else that will play it with me. Then I meet some new gamers who WILL play it, and I reacquire it.

Also, sometimes I've sold off a game that was fetching a high price for being out of print. Then if it comes back into print I'll reacquire it at a much lower price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20-25 years ago I had an extensive collection of wargames (SPI, Avalon Hill, GDW, etc.), which I sold off because I was moving a lot, they weren't getting much play time, and I was a broke grad school student who really, really needed the money. I don't miss all of them, but there are a few that I have re-purchased, most recently Britannia and Kremlin, since renewing my interest in gaming in the last couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gvonl wrote:

Dude, how many games do you have to own in order to do this?
I mean, you'd have to just be consuming games at an alarming, haphazard rate in order to not realize you'd previously purchased one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually done this a few times. As my tastes and circumstances evolve and change, so does my collection. It doesn't happen that often, but it happens often enough that I came up with a set of protocols:

1)If I ever sell/trade/give away a game, I can never purchase/obtain it again.

2)If I ever do purchase/obtain that game again, I cannot sell/trade/give away that game ever again.

3)If I ever do sell/trade/give away that game a second time, that's it. Really.

...probably...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, once. Android: Netrunner. Although I bought it the second time because I got a good deal, and I intended to sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I sold Clash of Cultures because the rules were too onerous/I got bored trying to learn it.

A year or so later I bought the 2nd edition due to renewed interest.
Sold that one about a couple of weeks later too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently tempted to rebuy Ground Floor for the third time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.