Subject: Wierd ending due to the last played card rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 3 player game tonight and had a weird ending that confused us... Basically I was the last player with a card and if I played it I would not win... So I did not play it... But by not playing it then won the game????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I am confused. What was the card and the situation it would have triggered? As far as I understand it you don't have to play a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher is correct that there is no rule requiring you to play the last card; instead, there's a rule that forbids you from playing it unless doing so makes you win the game. As previously discussed, the rule exists to prevent whoever holds the last card from playing it simply to decide which of the other players wins.

An abstract example: if player A holds the last card (i.e. it's their last card and players B and C have no cards) and player B is currently winning, then player A must not play their card simply to make player C win instead. (They're also forbidden from playing the card if player B is winning both before and after they play it, but that's incidental.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
You absolutely don't have to use all your cards! It's often to your own benefit not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhh... That's what we forgot...

Basically I had 5 and 1 yellow... The other two had 4 red and 3 yellow and 4 red and 2 yellow... The game was ending with Red winning total countries with a count of 3 bs 2 yellow... Playing my card made me add 2 yellow to the last country which had 1 yellow and 1 red cube... Thinking i had to trigger the card I would have made a tie between yellow and red with most countries... The winner would have been my buddy with 4 red and 3 yellow... But using my prior logic.. If I could not play the card due to it not letting me win... The province would have fallen to the Saxons and red would have won and thus me with 5 red cubes :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Most games end that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.