Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Essa Echy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from pnp rules 11.17

how to calculate the value of their resource when they are discarded.
the icon is " 1 resource per resource discarded"

we played that the card by itself was equal to 0. to have the card gain a value it would have to be discarded with more cards of the same resource then it would in turn multiple that value.

if i discarded 2 cards one with a 2 strength and the other the warlord then the warlord would equal 2 as well and i would be discarding 4 strength.

if i discarded 3 cards one with a 2 gold, second with a 1 gold and the third the miner then the miner would equal 3 and i would be discarding 6 gold.

what say you world?
DBninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Essa Echy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Crowther
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was how I understood it as well. It makes for a quick way to get the strength, magic, or gold without having to hire them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I totally got this wrong in my first play after reading the PnP rules, because it was said so nonchalantly it didn't occur to me that they said "Discarded" not "Played".

I had been playing it as the number of resources gained when turning in the adventurer -- IE, if you play a Warlord and an Archer, the Warlord would be worth 2F because the Archer was there with him.

Suggestion for the devs: This mechanic may require more than a single sentence. Or maybe just a stronger sentence:

When there is an “=” on top of the icons, you may discard citizens from your hand and obtain the total number of resources of that type are represented by your discarded citizens.

I say this only so that you make it clear that you are discarding citizens as part of that action, as I don't believe you otherwise ever discard citizens as part of fulfilling a quest.

Ok. Now I am further confused (I think by the prior comment).

How are you getting any resources without hiring? You still need to hire the miner as well as the citizens you are discarding with him to complete the quest, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Essa Echy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Matt

that is one point i did not mention in the above example and the way you are thinking about it is exactly how i was playing.

if i discarded 2 cards, these cards being citizens that i have hired and are part of my guild not from my hand, one with a 2 strength and the other the warlord then the warlord would equal 2 as well and i would be discarding 4 strength from my guild to complete a quest.

its all about terminology and i am lazy when citing sometimes. the blind playtest thread addresses this but i felt the rules forum needed a direct thread for this one point for everybody to easily see it.
DBninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbninja wrote:
@Matt

that is one point i did not mention in the above example and the way you are thinking about it is exactly how i was playing.

if i discarded 2 cards, these cards being citizens that i have hired and are part of my guild not from my hand, one with a 2 strength and the other the warlord then the warlord would equal 2 as well and i would be discarding 4 strength from my guild to complete a quest.

its all about terminology and i am lazy when citing sometimes. the blind playtest thread addresses this but i felt the rules forum needed a direct thread for this one point for everybody to easily see it.
DBninja

Oh, agreed. What confused me was the guy who said "without having to hire them". Which is not the correct application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Crowther
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. I think a game play example in the rules would make a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Lim
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were playing and had a scenario where we weren't sure how to up the gold when 2 miners were played.

They played 1 gold and 2 miners...
Does it total up to be
A) 1 gold + 1 gold (miner) + 1 gold (miner) = 3 gold
OR
B) 1 gold + 1 gold (miner) + 2 gold (miner = 2 previous cards) = 4 gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ames
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it as in A) 3 gold, as the Miner is not worth gold by itself, so both are duplicating the same gold at the same time (1 gold and 2 miners applied at the same time).

However, I see you point and could be persuaded as in B) if the discards happened as a sequence (1 gold, Miner, then Miner), which I don't think is correct, but I am just a player not the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.