Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Breaking the Chains: War in the South China Sea» Forums » General

Subject: 1985 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a 1985 version of BtC, USSR vs NATO in the North Atlantic, GIUK, etc. Seems like the system would work fine.

Any chance if that happening?

7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mike
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Idea, hope it happens
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
I would love to see a 1985 version of BtC, USSR vs NATO in the North Atlantic, GIUK, etc. Seems like the system would work fine.

Any chance if that happening?



It already did, once upon a time in a galaxy far far away.



Pretty good game and series, has stood the test of time well. But perhaps an update with up-gunned components...?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I could possibly design a BtC Expansion to cover the GIUK Gap if there is enough interest. Are people interested or is 2nd Fleet enough?

Here's a useful historical document as background.

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/1985/eirv12n31-1985080...
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkowskij wrote:
I could possibly design a BtC Expansion to cover the GIUK Gap if there is enough interest. Are people interested or is 2nd Fleet enough?

Here's a useful historical document as background.

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/1985/eirv12n31-1985080...


Definitely would be great to have an expansion; the fleet series was great, but is a bit outdated...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
CHF_90265 wrote:
I would love to see a 1985 version of BtC, USSR vs NATO in the North Atlantic, GIUK, etc. Seems like the system would work fine.

Any chance if that happening?



It already did, once upon a time in a galaxy far far away.



Pretty good game and series, has stood the test of time well. But perhaps an update with up-gunned components...?


I have almost the complete series, and played it to death quite a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't think there's too much balance (a loose concept in wargaming terms, I know) to be had. Perhaps simply a product of its times, it seems to overly favour US capabilities over Soviet abundance and respective capabilities. But that's just my perspective.

I still certainly enjoyed the series, but I think a more 'modern' perspective on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two main protagonists would be possible through the lens of time.

I would certainly welcome, and pay for, a good modern re-examination of modern naval operations.

Cheers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkowskij wrote:
I could possibly design a BtC Expansion to cover the GIUK Gap if there is enough interest. Are people interested or is 2nd Fleet enough?

Here's a useful historical document as background.

http://www.larouchepub.com/eiw/public/1985/eirv12n31-1985080...


Hi John!

That'd be AWESOME!!!!

I think many people would enjoy a refresh of the Fleet series conflicts. While it is a classic, it is both expensive and highly complex - not really contemporary in accessibility.

On the other hand BtC is so elegant and easy to learn but wonderfully complex in player decision-making. Very accessible and 2.0 in feel.

I hate to suggest this, but you might even be able to do a BtC expansion that covers similar ground to 7th Fleet first - assuming the same map would make sense. If so, that would be simpler, I think.

Having said that, the one I really want is that North Atlantic, 2nd Fleet, Red Storm Rising game in BtC!!!

I'm in whatever one you choose!!!!

Thanks for BTC!

Craig
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.