Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Obliterate, attacking buildings, and polymorph rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1. Who determines the units that are destroyed?
2. Can you attack a tech building that your opponent just built during his turn (he paid the gold during his turn)
3. When you play polymorph squirrel (green spell) what is the tech level of the targeted unit?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Okamura
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Since it's asynchronous game-play, the attacker decides what they're attacking, and thus what gets destroyed. Although, if an effect might do something like, "kill the weakest unit" and there's more than one tied for weakest, then the destroyed unit is chosen randomly.

Quote:
2. Can you attack a tech building that your opponent just built during his turn (he paid the gold during his turn)

No. BUT... Since players take turns, and a player can't use their tech building until their next turn, you can attack their tech building on your turn (as long as they don't have any patrollers), before they have a chance to use it.

Quote:
3. When you play polymorph squirrel (green spell) what is the tech level of the targeted unit?

Tech level 0

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spicy McCrab
United States
California
flag msg tools
wait so sacrifice the weak doesn't let you choose the ting if there's a tie? It's random. And the same goes for obliterate 4 or whatev, if there is a tie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="ApolloOkamura"]
Quote:
Although, if an effect might do something like, "kill the weakest unit" and there's more than one tied for weakest, then the destroyed unit is chosen randomly.

Are you sure this is correct? I would think the current player makes all decisions. For example, the Obliterate example cited above - Obliterate 2 destroys the two lowest tech units. If there are three that your opponent has, I am almost certain you would choose the two, not determine them randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I thought that the attacker gets to choose.

I need to revisit the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the last page of the rulebook:
Quote:
Active Player Decides
Any effect requiring a decision always refers to the active player. When it’s your turn, you can make decisions, but other players can never make decisions on your turn. This allows the game to be played fully asynchronously, meaning you can take your turn then mail it to a friend, then she can take her turn and mail you her set of decisions, etc. In the unusual event that an effect specifically asks an opponent to make a decision on your turn, instead nothing happens.

I think this is pretty decisive: the player whose turn it is makes decisions on ties like "lowest tech unit".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some doubts about the polymorph answer as well - the text of the card is:
"Transform a unit into a 1/1 green Squirrel with no abilities until your next upkeep."
It doesn't say anything about changing the level of the targeted unit. If it had said it was transformed into a 1/1 green Squirrel token, then that would be different, as all tokens are Tech 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelvonar wrote:
I have some doubts about the polymorph answer as well - the text of the card is:
"Transform a unit into a 1/1 green Squirrel with no abilities until your next upkeep."
It doesn't say anything about changing the level of the targeted unit. If it had said it was transformed into a 1/1 green Squirrel token, then that would be different, as all tokens are Tech 0.

This is a good point. I had thought it would have been tech 0 in light of the token cards that are on kickstarter that specifically call out squirrel token cards as a green tech 0:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/codex-2/posts/15...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Okamura
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the random thing; I likewise didn't see anything about this specifically in the rulebook; but I read it on one of Sirlin's comments somewhere (can't find it at the moment though). I would have thought the attacker would choose as well; but considering Obliterate doesn't say, "choose or target the lowest tech units...", I can see where randomness would apply. Would be nice if I could find the actual quote.

The token thing... That's my interpretation, since that's the only frame of reference we have of squirrels, and they're Tech 0. Otherwise, it would have been easier just to write: "Target unit becomes 1/1, with no abilities until your next upkeep."

What I'm saying is that it might not be a token, per se, but would have all the same qualities of the token squirrel.

Mind you, if that isn't the case, would it still be the same unit type, or does it become a "Cute Animal" instead, or is it just Squirrel in name? Either way, I think this card may need to be rewritten a bit - shouldn't assume players know what a Squirrel is (card-wise).

So something like:
"Target unit becomes a 1/1 Green Cute Animal, with no abilities until your next upkeep."
OR
"Transform unit into 1/1 Green Squirrel, with no abilities until your next upkeep. It is still a unit and not a token."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wilson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hihi, let me clear some things up:

The active player chooses in the case of ties for Obliterate and Sacrifice the weak. It is not random. I am 100% sure on this

I'm like 90% sure that Polymorph: Squirrel does not change the tech level of its target and only changes the qualities that it says on the card. While it might be /easier/ to write something else, it definitely wouldn't be as flavorful. I'll double check with Sirlin/sharpobject on this one though. Neither were available when I wrote this post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Okamura
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
mallorean_thug wrote:
Hihi, let me clear some things up:

The active player chooses in the case of ties for Obliterate and Sacrifice the weak. It is not random. I am 100% sure on this

I'm like 90% sure that Polymorph: Squirrel does not change the tech level of its target and only changes the qualities that it says on the card. While it might be /easier/ to write something else, it definitely wouldn't be as flavorful. I'll double check with Sirlin/sharpobject on this one though. Neither were available when I wrote this post

Cool cool.

Like I said, can't remember where I read about the random thing...

And I can see Polymorph working either way.
But, if it doesn't gain all the other properties such as Type and Tech, it might as well just say,
"Target unit becomes 1/1, with no abilities until your next upkeep."
Less confusing. Clarity over flavour. We can already imagine it turns into a squirrel due to the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
i know wher youread about the random thing: there is a unit or two that prevent damage, for example the first damage taken in a turn. if you take damage on multiple units at the same time, you choose randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Okamura
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
DING! That was it. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Balsiger
Switzerland
Langnau am Albis
Zürich
flag msg tools
I have a somewhat related question in regards to polymorph: Does the damage stay on the card?

Like, if you have a 3/3 with 1 damage and you polymorph it into a 1/1 squirrel does it keep the damage and instantly die? Or what happens exactly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRobin wrote:
I have a somewhat related question in regards to polymorph: Does the damage stay on the card?

Like, if you have a 3/3 with 1 damage and you polymorph it into a 1/1 squirrel does it keep the damage and instantly die? Or what happens exactly?

Card rulings for Polymorph: Squirrel
http://codexcarddb.com/card/polymorph_squirrel

Quote:

Transforming into a Squirrel does not count as a new unit entering play. No "arrive" happens here. If the unit had any baggage, such as +1/+1 runes, an ongoing spell such as a Soul Stone or Spirit of the Panda, or damage on it, all of that will still be on it when it Transforms. Though it loses all printed abilities it has and loses all one-time effects that other things might have granted it before the transform, it still benefits from one-time effects that happen to it after the transform and it still benefits from +1/+1 runes that are on it, and attachments such as Spirit of the Panda. — Sirlin

Transforming the unit to a 1/1 can kill it if it already had damage on it. — Sirlin

This spell can kill units that usually can't be killed. Transforming an indestructible unit or Gilded Glaxx (when you have gold in your gold pile) then dealing 1 damage to the Squirrel will kill it because the Squirrel is not indestructible and does not have Gilded Glaxx's ability. — Sirlin

The transformed unit is still whatever tech level it was before. — Sirlin

If something would copy the Squirrel such as Manufactured Truth, then the copy is a 1/1 Squirrel with no abilities. Usually, copying something copies the printed version of the card and does not copy any modifiers, but because Polymorph Squirrel "transforms" the unit, the transformed version is treated as the new thing that gets copied. If the transformed Squirrel has a +1/+1 rune and Spirit of the Panda attached, copying it will still give you only 1/1 Squirrel with no abilities. — Sirlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnooch wrote:

Am I correct that if you target the squad leader in an attack and that unit is the lowest tech level, then the attack does nothing (as obliterate has killed it anyway). It just means that the attacker takes no damage? So if an opponent has obliterate then always make sure your weakest unit is squad leader right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shamusj wrote:
Am I correct that if you target the squad leader in an attack and that unit is the lowest tech level, then the attack does nothing (as obliterate has killed it anyway). It just means that the attacker takes no damage? So if an opponent has obliterate then always make sure your weakest unit is squad leader right?

That's not correct. After you resolve Obliterate, if your target is gone (because it was obliterated), you select a new defender for the attack. You don't get to Obliterate again, but your massive attacker does still get to hit something. See the glossary entry for Obliterate on page 20 of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnooch wrote:

Thanks!

1. The active player decide if there is a tie for the lowest tech unit.
2. The building finish to construct at the end of the player turn, so when it is your turn, it is already built, so you can indeed destroy it.
3. Polymorph doesn't change the tech level. It doesn't make it a 1/1 squirrel token (which is what most people think and the confusion comes from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

3. Polymorph doesn't change the tech level. It doesn't make it a 1/1 squirrel token (which is what most people think and the confusion comes from).

Indeed. It took me a while to realize that the squirrel tokens are for Feral tech 3 unit. Not for the polymorph spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mb
sorry - we are beginners – can You help us?
Who should be meant as defender when obliterate happens.
=====
When can a thech I unit be played?
I mean does my hero with proper spec. have to be summoned?
(I know there is tech lab and „spec choice”)
OR
Why the tech I units have specs????
it is misleading ... :/
thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sequor wrote:
sorry - we are beginners – can You help us?
Who should be meant as defender when obliterate happens.
=====
When can a thech I unit be played?
I mean does my hero with proper spec. have to be summoned?
(I know there is tech lab and „spec choice”)
OR
Why the tech I units have specs????
it is misleading ... :/
thx

The defender is the player that get attacked.

You need your Tech I building built to be able to play Tech I units, that's all.

Everything has a "spec" to know to which hero card set it belong to. Simple has that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.