BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best modular game maps or boards you know rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Guys, I'm really a big fan of modular game boards and/or maps, that create a new environment everytime you play. What are the best modular maps or modular boards you came across in your gaming past? I am also currently developing a boardgame on my own, but struggling to find an appealing way to be able to have modular tiles for the boardgame/ map. It is a strategy game settled in the 4X genre, so exploring plays a big part and thus it is boring if the map doesn't change enough from game to game.

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like any modular map.

Square tiles
Return of the Heroes

Hex tiles
Magic Realm

Tri-hex
Barony

Multi-hex
Runewars

Board strips
PanzerBlitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks already for all those suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not strategy/war, but I really like Betrayal at House on the Hill for the reasons you stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the map in Sid Meier's Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness

Mage Knight Board Game

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients / Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death

Claustrophobia

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Tikal

Archipelago

Tobago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow thank you very much, some great modular boards!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn has had my favorite modular map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Heroscape yet. I think that's kind of the king of the modular board, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I dislike modular boards. A million billion average setups rather than one specifically designed excellent one.

However, Food Chain Magnate makes this shine, so much key strategy decided by the board layout, so many things to take into consideration from the random / drafted layout of a few tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a classic. Lighter than the other games suggested in this thread, but highly entertaining in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Heroscape yet. I think that's kind of the king of the modular board, no?

For skirmish type games absolutely agree with you. But for lighter games with less setup/teardown time (and only 2d board), tile approches may be better.

I wish someone had made a square grid HeroScape type system for urban, dungeon, scifi with hex couplers. Closest I ever saw to a square system was for Mage Knight Dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a classic. Lighter than the other games suggested in this thread, but highly entertaining in my opinion.

We have the 1990s edition of this and it's awesome.

Also reverse of the OP in that you destroy the map 1 or more tiles at a time, vs. build it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Golden Ages is a civilization building game where the map is laid out as the players explore the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is great. The whole board is able to be seen, but there are Distant Suns tokens (random events, essentially) on each planet that you don't know until you get there.

Clash of Cultures is pretty good; simulates exploration well.

Escape: Zombie City also does, in a slightly more frantic way.

Dominant Species has a modular board that the players build and customize to their preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love modular boards. Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is my favorite game that has one, though exploring isn't really a factor. Many other good ones have been mentioned. I think Tobago's board is really well done. Read the rules on that one to see what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Idan Rooze
Israel
flag msg tools
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Generally I dislike modular boards. A million billion average setups rather than one specifically designed excellent one.

However, Food Chain Magnate makes this shine, so much key strategy decided by the board layout, so many things to take into consideration from the random / drafted layout of a few tiles.

And that goes for The Great Zimbabwe too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hardy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Earth Reborn has had my favorite modular map.

Such a crazy, crazy and super fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.