6 Posts

Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 5 Player Global Dominance! [PNP] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary g
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So first this post is to showcase my completely 'awesome' PNP version of the game!
I have been following this game from the beginning. Completely feel in love with the Kickstarter stop motion and then the whole campaign. I was dreaming of the day I can get more then 4 other dudes on a map so that we can backstab, conquer, and make eachother cry and this game came along. It comes with a awesome variable player counter, and much more to do then just farm 3-count soldiers and make a stab across the whole map!

I kept seeing pictures of peoples pimped out print and plays but didn't want to spend as much on a PNP as the game itself, ya know? So I grabbed some plain ole printer paper, some card stock, a bunch of beads from Michael's, a poster frame (most important part!) and my 4 year old daughter helped me color everything.
Pictures below:

Now on to the game!
I had myself and 4 other players.
Red started out in North America by himself.
The rest were settled within arm distance of eachother for some initial game tension!
Pink in Germany, Green in Russian, Yellow in Saudi Arabia, Purple in Middle East.
After a brief rules introduction from me we were off to explore! Everything explained was pretty steamlined. No confusion. Everybody started moving out slowly and loved the turn order structure.
"I can't just steamroll across the map until I run out of dudes?"
"Nope, grab that Oil!"

-Green expanded the Russian Federation east and down into China and India. Pink, Yellow, and Purple began a Cold War that would last a couple rounds.
-Pink (myself) finally wanted to introduce the combat phase to everybody and decided to strike north across the English channel to attack Greens western border. Purple was in a pretty bad spot between Yellow, Green, and myself and this friend is usually more of a defensive turtling type so I didn't want to come off aggressive until I could talk him into attacking someone for me.
-Anyways I struck across the English channel. Combat is pretty cut and dry. Everybody loved it. I Secured a foothold into Norway as Green was distracted with expanding more into the Asia continent. I just wanted to put a little pressure on him, ya know?
-Yellow decided to strike North out of the Arabian penisula into my Purple turle friend! Purples defense held on as he fought a retreat to Africa which he finally got to and created strong beachheads to prevent Yellow from following.
-It was at this time that my focus was shifted to Red and his complete unmolested claim of the Western hemisphere. I created a giant fleet and set out for the North American east coast. As I was preparing my assault Red started the psychological warfare.

"I will give you a chance to turn back your fleet, or it will be utterly destroyed!", says he!
"Hah," I exclaim. This friend was a known bluffer, and I was the more aggressor type. He knew I wouldn't hesitate, and even if I did he probably would have continued his Special Card play just to spite me.
This is when my massive fleet of 14 units sitting off the coast of Washington D.C. was obliterated by a Nuclear missile!!!
This is the point everybody flipped out. I briefly have flipped through the Special Cards but didn't know the full potential of some. I guess I also didn't really explain the awesome abilities so well in the Rules explanation. So now everybody is locked on to grabbing territories that produce Special Cards so they too can launch Nukes or other various awesome abilities!
-Anyways the wind was taken out of my sails (literally) I began re-assembling my fleet. Nobody else started putting pressure on Red.
-Some endgame skirmishes started happening between Red launching into Asia, Yellow saber rattling at Green, and Green really spreading himself out too thin in Russia and the Far East.

ENDGAME:
-Pink(myself) made a last ditch effort into South America and was able to knock a Sphere away from Red but others couldn't capitalize.
-Purple turtled himself in Africa. Eventually claiming the whole continent but running out of turns to try and strike at Red.
-Yellow finished off Purples claims in the Middle East, struck into my Europe holdings, and disrupted some of Greens spheres.
-Green spread himself too thin. He was able to get a foothold into East Asia, and Australia but no turns to capitalize on striking into Red last turn.
-And Red won! He wasn't harrassed for about half the game. Pink was the only pressure which was squashed early on. Everybody else started pretty close so initial pressure was immediate.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Everybody loved it. They loved every idea and mechanic. Loved the thematic storming the beach rolls. They loved the groups of 6 combat. They loved actually planning what to do with your 2-9 'randomly shuffled' turns. They loved the Special Cards. And most importantly they loved that it only took 2 hours to play.
We have all promised to get more people to the table next time for an epic 8 player game!

The real game should be here by then so now I have to think of what to do with my ghetto copy.
Maybe think up a Spheres of Influence: Legacy variant!

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! I actually like your ghetto map, its pretty amazing. The black and white actually has a pretty cool feel to it - well done! And this was definitely a way to go for building the game in terms of cost... I can't begin to tell you how many times I've printed out the map during development (in full color, on vinyl paper thinking "at last, this is the final map"), and how painfully expensive it was.

Good game review - losing an army that size to a nuke is painful! I definitely love the first time new players encounter it though... its a special moment thats not soon forgotten. I'm glad you guys had a great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rothlisberger
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! That's good map and fun for your daughter I'm sure. Definitely agree on the cost of a PNP. I spent way too much on mine even though I got the colored and laminated map for free ha. A legacy version could be interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought the colours looked different to my print out then read your comments lol. Good job on it.

Nice little session write up as well.

You will definitely find your tactics evolve as you play more games.

I would say most of the games i play now are won with 2 spheres being controlled by most players and it comes down to Capitols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Rothlisberger
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, our winning scores have gotten lower as we've played more. Gone are the days when I would win with 4 spheres haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
crothlisberger wrote:
Agreed, our winning scores have gotten lower as we've played more. Gone are the days when I would win with 4 spheres haha.

Yeah thats for sure. Once everyone really figures the game out, I feel it comes down more and more to 2-3 sphere wins with capitals breaking a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.