Tikal» Forums » General

Subject: Last person to score has a huge advantage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
He/She doesn't have to account for the movement of the next players' movement. This mechanic is an unfair advantage.

Rating downgraded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for your information, in case you didn't know, you can put comments for an individual game in the game entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a huge advantage. Players who go before the last player get to grab unoccupied temples with only 1 worker. They can also grab other player's temples before they can be reinforced with workers and can reinforce their temples too. Players who go before the last player may get to grab the last treasure or swap treasures too. In my opinion, it's a bigger advantage to score first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this game amazing and balanced. It is currently my 3rd favorite game out of over 300 I have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bellavie
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:
He/She doesn't have to account for the movement of the next players' movement. This mechanic is an unfair advantage.

Rating downgraded.

That's an interesting perspective. In my experience the order of scoring doesn't break the game. The final scoring is essentially the result of all other turns before it; thus if you've prepared well for the scoring round, it won't matter if you're scoring first or last. try playing the game more so you can build experience. Challenge your mind to win the game even if you don't get the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think scoring is balanced. The second to score can trade treasures without worrying about "helping" the other player get a set ... but the first player scoring has a better run at temples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:

Rating downgraded.

Highly disagree with this, for reasons already stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always play the auction variant if you think its a big deal. We've never felt the need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperor Penguin
United States
Mercer
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:

Rating downgraded.

I guess I don't understand this argument. Perhaps I am missing something. If I score first why do I care about the next players movement, I have already scored. If anything I always thought the earlier in scoring order the better because you don't have to worry about the previous players raising their influnence on all the temples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
IvanGrimm wrote:
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:

Rating downgraded.

I guess I don't understand this argument. Perhaps I am missing something. If I score first why do I care about the next players movement, I have already scored. If anything I always thought the earlier in scoring order the better because you don't have to worry about the previous players raising their influnence on all the temples.

Regardless of the arguments here, it is clear to everybody that there is a difference in strategy depending on final scoring order. Even worse, there is no way to influence turn order. When you win (or lose) it doesn't feel like a victory if you spend the time analyzing the differences in strategies that come along with final scoring turn order.

This is one of my favourite games to play. It's the ending that really ruins it. With such a huge amount of points available, the last turn really just doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:
IvanGrimm wrote:
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:

Rating downgraded.

Regardless of the arguments here, it is clear to everybody that there is a difference in strategy depending on final scoring order. Even worse, there is no way to influence turn order. When you win (or lose) it doesn't feel like a victory if you spend the time analyzing the differences in strategies that come along with final scoring turn order.

This is one of my favourite games to play. It's the ending that really ruins it. With such a huge amount of points available, the last turn really just doesn't work.

What the arguments show is that you have created a problem that does not exist. You are the only person I have ever encountered who believes scoring last is an advantage. Think about it. You're argument doesn't even make sense. Suppose I score next to last and you score last. Suppose I score a temple with only two explorers. When you score the same temple, you have to spend actions to get at least two more explorers onto that temple to score it. And I don't care that you do not have to account for my movements since I have already scored it.

To be honest, the biggest influence on the scoring round is the relative position of the players on the board prior to the scoring round, not turn order. I also doubt you have played enough to really document the problem is there. Most likely what happened is that you observed the issue once or twice and the outcome was actually the result of the players and not the game. But it's your rating and if you decide to quit playing a game you enjoy because of a problem that really is not there, the problem is yours, not ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.