Subject: LOS Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. Can I get a clarification on a LOS/Blocking question please. In the picture below my British units are in the forest in hex J8. As it is a forest are they blocked from LOS from the Germans in I7, G6 & H6? Night rules for this scenario (2) are in effect and they can see up to 3 hexes away. So they are in range of 2 of the German units but my interpretation of the rules says that they can't do a spotting check as they are in blocking terrain, therefore not in LOS. Is that correct?

Conversely, as it is my impule, I can't fire on hex G6 as it is in blocking terrain (the building) so can only fire on hex I7 as it is within the 3 hex range. Do I still need to do a spotting check first or is it automatically seen. If I do fire then I immediately become visible to all units except those in H6, as they are too far away. But that means the Germans in G6 could take a shot at me without spotting first. Is that also correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
You can see out of your hex. You cannot see thru blocking terrain.
You can fire (once spotted) at the hex (G7) as its in blocking but you are not shooting thru blocking terrain.
All that said I dont know what the terrain is in G7 is that clear/degrading or blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the building in G6 is blocking terrain so I can't hit anything on the other side of the building but I can fire at the building if I do a spotting check?. I think I am getting confused between terrain modifiers and blocking and what blocking actually means. You mention that I can fire at hex G7 but nothing is in that hex so why would I want to? Sorry if that is a silly question but I guess I am missing something here.

G7 is marshland so it says it is Degrading.

Can the German units do a spotting check on me in the forest?

hipshot wrote:
You can see out of your hex. You cannot see thru blocking terrain.
You can fire (once spotted) at the hex (G7) as its in blocking but you are not shooting thru blocking terrain.
All that said I dont know what the terrain is in G7 is that clear/degrading or blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,
you can fire INTO the building hex at G6, but the building there 'blocks' any LOS "beyond" that building, so you can't fire THROUGH the building (LOS is blocked) But, those units IN the building in G6 get the benefit of the terrain modifier that the safety of the building affords those units inside it taking cover.
as for degrading terrain, try to imagine it this way, If a unit is firing at you, and in between you and the firer is 'light woods". The light woods of a tree or two will not be enough to 'block' the Line of Sight between the firing unit and you, but it does make it more difficult for them to see you (degrades their ability to see you, degrades the LOS) than if it were wide open terrain between the two of you. Now a full fledged 'forest' hex would be enough to block their ability to see you at all. they can't see through all the forest (not light woods) 'blocking' terrain.
to answer your question about the German units being able to spot your units in the forest, during the German impulse i7 can attempt to spot your units in F9, yes. F9 is forest isn't it? if so, the Germans would need to roll a 1 or 2 to spot your units in the forest at F9. (any unit in what is considered blocking terrain needs a 1 or 2 to be spotted, if you were in a hex considered degrading terrain then the Germans would need a 1, 2, or 3 to spot you as it's easier to see you in terrain considered degrading than blocking.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.