Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: Cost and Process for PnP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Carson
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

After Kickstarting the Deluxe level, I also decided I didn't want to wait and I went ahead and got the PnP versions. I've never done a PnP before and ended up making my own codex along with everything else to have an official Codex experience. Thought I would share what I did so others can build their own sets potentially even better.

Total Supplies Used
* 800 Card sleeves. Different backing for each color. Around $6-$10 if I went generic or special per. Left overs. I ended up around $45.
* 100 Clear card sleeves for workers, dancer tokens, add ons, exc. $1.
* Color printing of all the pages. I believe this was around 10 pages per color. Free for me because my girlfriend had a printer.
* Cutting Board to get most of the cards cut out.
* Scissors to clean up the edges of each card
* Cheap standard playing cards to fill out the card sleeves. Got multiple double packs for a total of 108 cards each pack from Walmart for $3 per pack. Ended up around $18 total.
* One binder for the codex overall. $15

So my total cost was $30 for the PnP sets, $46 for color and clear sleeves, $18 on playing cards, and $15 on a binder. $109 overall.

Total time investment was around 1 to 1.5 hours per color. Neutral took me the longest as it was my first and I was trying to cut out the chits, but I was moving along quick by the time I got to black.

Process - Print off all the pages. Use the cutting board to get to individual cards. Use scissors to clean the edges of each card. Put the Codex card with a playing card in a card sleeve. Put in the cards into the binder in the suggested format of spells, ultimate spell, tech units in order that the rule book suggests.

Possible ways to save on cost - I have plenty of legendary cards that I never play with anymore, but I decided that I would rather just keep those cards in that box. I could have saved a bunch on the binder by just getting a students binder from Walmart or Target instead of a 'game' one from the hobby store. Bulk sleeves off Amazon would have saved me a ton compared to low quantity packs with designs from the hobby store. I did a quick price check for printing the Starter Set on Fedex which was close to $8 for all the pages, so I saved a lot by not going to the printers.

Notes on Chits - I ended up not using these at all. They were a pain to deal with. I got a bunch of dice for Dungeons and Dragons and just use those to represent my tokens, +1 runes, gold, and everything else. If you are going to use the chits, I recommend printing them off on something thick like foamcore as they were a huge pain to use with classic thin office paper.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I plan on playing the game quite a bit and have gotten some d20 spinners for the base, some small d6's for the buildings, and some custom +1/+1 and -1/-1 d6's for runes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty useful information. I went with super cheap, relatively flimsy binders from Wal-Mart and have been happy with them. You only need 3 pages sheets per binder so they can be really thin -- mine just have brads instead of a ring. I tried ring binders and they're so bulky for very little benefit. I know one thing Sirlin was doing when I playtested with his materials was to cut about 1/4" off of each pocket in the sheet so it's easier to pull sleeved cards out of there. I am bad at this kind of thing so I destroyed a few sheets with a hobby knife before giving up on it.

Also one other thing -- if you ever mix colors, you'll want each card to have the same color back, so I went with sleeves with just one color. That way if you have a red, green, and blue hero you can't tell which cards are in your hand or draw/discard just by looking at their colors.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenkeller wrote:
Also one other thing -- if you ever mix colors, you'll want each card to have the same color back, so I went with sleeves with just one color. That way if you have a red, green, and blue hero you can't tell which cards are in your hand or draw/discard just by looking at their colors.
Agreed. You probably want the sleeves the same color.

I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) the digital sets didn't include token units beyond the dancers. Green has a lot of different tokens they can summon. Hopefully they'll be updated to match the deluxe set off the Kickstarter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Schönbeck
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice write-up!

I'm currently in the process of fixing my own PnP set. I solved the chit issue by printing them on regular A4 and then gluing them onto some kind of thin cardboard (all my notebooks are now backless). I then decided to make double-sided chits, so I have "1 dmg/3 dmg" "1 lvl/3 lvl" "+ / -" chits. Looks a bit rough, but works great!

Decided to go for Dragon Shield sleeves. Quite expensive for 600 sleeves ($63 in Sweden, ouch) but actually only $14 more expensive than Ultra Pro, so it's probably worth it for the snugger fit and absence of tech level-blocking hologram.

sputang wrote:
stephenkeller wrote:
Also one other thing -- if you ever mix colors, you'll want each card to have the same color back, so I went with sleeves with just one color. That way if you have a red, green, and blue hero you can't tell which cards are in your hand or draw/discard just by looking at their colors.
Agreed. You probably want the sleeves the same color.
Thirded! If you want to mix colors, this is a must? Plus, by using the same sleeves you only need 600 of them, so it's a win-win!

sputang wrote:
I'm surprised (and a bit disappointed) the digital sets didn't include token units beyond the dancers. Green has a lot of different tokens they can summon. Hopefully they'll be updated to match the deluxe set off the Kickstarter.
I also hope we'll get the tokens as PnP! If you want a substitute in the mean time, check out my fan-made token set (http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/fan-ma...), ready to print. Quite happy with it sofar :)
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Andersong wrote:
I also hope we'll get the tokens as PnP! If you want a substitute in the mean time, check out my fan-made token set (http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/fan-ma...), ready to print. Quite happy with it sofar
Oh wow, those are pretty cool! Thanks for the link!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.