Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 2 questions about this building which allows you to spent ciders and potions as coins.
- Does it allow you to give someone else cider/potion via trading if you own that building(because you can spent them as coins)?
- Does ciders/potions count as coin in case of a tie(to determine the winner at end game)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions. I'll be watching for the answer also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules translate the Icon in question as:
Quote:
"A card with one of these symbols allows the player to spend ciders or potions as if they were coins."

1 - Yes. You may SELL the item exactly as it is.
YOUR ability allows YOU to substitute these items as 1 gold whenever you spend gold.

2 - No. You are not SPENDING the good as 1 gold.
If 1 is true, you are ONLY substituting 1 potion/cider at 1 gold/ea.
IF you are allowed to exchange the good for gold, then you may exchange it to gain 1 gold. Which this ability does not do.

Edit: added rules quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't these potions and ciders are allowed to be sold even without having that questioned building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup… which is why you can still sell them…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question being asked is "can they be used as currency when purchasing from other players, if the player has the building that allows them to be treated as coins?"

Personally, I think not, but I don't have a great rationale for that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It can matter if one player has something like an amethyst which they won't care that much but they have "potions are 2 point each" star building. The owner of "ciders/potions as coins" building can lock that amethyst to a 4 point slot for example. So they can make a trade like for amethyst, owner of key building can give 2 coins and a potion. I am asking if such a thing is possible, does that key building overrule the "buyers can only give coins" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Umut Cagirgan
Turkey
Izmir
Select One
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my 2nd question in case of a tie I don't think ciders and potions count as 1 coin each, because building says "spend as coins". It doesn't make them actual coins or make you able to trade them for coins. But we had a situation like that last night which I had a tie with another player who owned that building. I had more coins than him, but he had more if ciders and potions counted as coins. Majority of my playgroup decided I won, but a clarification would still be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says "spend as coins" then I'd say that potions/ciders only count as coins when spent, not for end game scoring.

For your initial question, I think you could go two ways:

1. Ciders/potions can't be given to other players on a trade. My reason for this is that the receiving player should get currency, and shouldn't be forced to accept something that might not be useful to them. Also, sneaky back-door trades shouldn't be allowed.

OR

2. Allow the ciders/potions to be spent to purchase from another player, but convert them to coins in the process, for the same reason given above - then the receiving player always gets currency, which is what they should be expecting anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
If it says "spend as coins" then I'd say that potions/ciders only count as coins when spent, not for end game scoring.

For your initial question, I think you could go two ways:

1. Ciders/potions can't be given to other players on a trade. My reason for this is that the receiving player should get currency, and shouldn't be forced to accept something that might not be useful to them. Also, sneaky back-door trades shouldn't be allowed.

OR

2. Allow the ciders/potions to be spent to purchase from another player, but convert them to coins in the process, for the same reason given above - then the receiving player always gets currency, which is what they should be expecting anyway.

Your second interpretation seems to make the most sense, and it prevents any sort of table politics from interfering with the game. Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.