4 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: buildings and orbital bombardment, buildings and warp gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Snickrot
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hey guys. Sorry for the spam lately. Got another session done and one of my players insisted he wanted to use orbital bombardment on an empty world so he can get a free space marine with his drop pods. I told him that was a no.
But then he suggested the same for a world with an enemy building.

Looking at this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1402241/ultramarine-drop-po...

0. It seems you can orbital bombard a world with a structure on it. Is this correct ?
This seems incredibly strong so I denied my player. But looking at the threads it does not seem that incorrect.
I just think this is way too powerful since a space marine player can just take over building after unprotected building.

If yes then this opens up a lot of possibilities , but questions as well:

1. Can Chaos use complete destruction on a world with only a building(factory/city) ?(orbital bombardment for the purpose of only destroying a building)

2. Can Space Marines use drop pods on a world with only a bulding(factory/city) with the intent to take it over?

3. Can Eldar use bombardment on a world with a building(factory/city) only to use Strafing run. For the purpose of moving extra.

4. Can Orks use Lootin and/or stealin on a world with only a building(factory/city)? For the purpose of stealing resources from the enemy.

And finally a related question on the topic of buildings.

Eldar have the somewhat conflicting scheme card Warp Gate discussed here and here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19790177#19790177
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1393727/warp-gate-eldar-eve...

If any these are correct, then damn.

5. Am I correct in understanding that it cannot be used to take over unprotected enemy buildings ? One of my players is asking this because at least currently the text leads him to believe it can.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-4: Yes
5: No, as it says in one of the linked threads, this card has incorrect (and slightly nonsensical) wording. It should read:

"...take any of your units from one area and place them on any one friendly or empty area."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djordje Milovancev
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Units conducting an orbital bombardment must target an ENEMY WORLD, and an enemy world is considered being a world with a structure and/or unit belonging to another player. So, yeah, you may do all of those things. And as for the eldar card, we just concluded that the wording was wrong, I hope any future FAQ will resolve this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The drop pods order is potentially powerful, but has drawbacks.

The marine player uses up his advance order to do it. He then has to roll a pair of shields to get his marine. In order to get a reasonable chance of doing this, he needs to roll about 6 attack dice. That is the equivalent of his entire fleet of cruisers, or a battle barge and a cruiser.

So to pull this off, he needs to invest in the order upgrade, a powerful fleet, and devote it plus half the advance orders in his turn, to stand much of a chance to make it work. After that effort and risk it's probably fair to award him the "free" structure, given that none of the other players decided to leave it protected.

Also, marines are probably the faction which struggles the most to "teleport" about the board. This and the "drop pods" combat card are about the only way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.