Subject: Second building bonuses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you build a building you already constructed, you get a special bonus. Does it replace a bonus of the second building or do you have the second building bonus and the special bonus?

I see nothing in the rules and the question came many times during our first game. We decided to have uniform rule for all second building: the special bonus replace the card bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we played such that when building a 2nd building of the same type the original bonus (once the 2nd building also has a worker on it) was transformed into the special bonus, rather than adding to it. We were mainly taking our cue from the fact that many of the special bonuses merely double the strength of the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm pretty positive the new bonus is now the only bonus you get, it does not add to the single building bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty positive the new bonus is now the only bonus you get, it does not add to the single building bonus.

I hope you're wrong. The Garden, the Mason's Guild, The Money Changer, Monk's Quarters, and the Tithe Barn all have different 2nd building bonuses. For example, if I build and activate a second Tithe Barn, do I lose the "keep >3 resources/turn" bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodzilla68 wrote:
rccoll wrote:

I hope you're wrong. The Garden, the Mason's Guild, The Money Changer, Monk's Quarters, and the Tithe Barn all have different 2nd building bonuses. For example, if I build and activate a second Tithe Barn, do I lose the "keep >3 resources/turn" bonus?

I think the problem here is that some building abilities stack and others don't and it's not explicitly stated in the rules that way. This has been discussed in other threads before.

For example the Tithe Barn:
I don't see how that bonus ability for building 2 Tithe barns would make any sense if you didn't get to keep more than 3 resources of each kind at the end of every round. So I would assume they stack.

The Garden is a bit tricky but I would also think this stacks,
because phase 8 on page 15 doesn't say anything about not getting 1 grain for every 3 that you currently have if you have 2 Gardens.

I would also assume the Mason's guild stacks because the 2 abilities have nothing to do with each other and don't conflict (page 18). Purchasing stone for cheap and getting an extra defense are two different things.

The Money Changer's 2nd building bonus ability again doesn't make sense unless it stacks just like the Garden. The only reason to collect more coins is to get bonus points at the end.

The Monk's Quarters 2nd ability should also stack. Why would you gain 1 die only to lose it by building a 2nd Monk's Quarters?

So ultimately I think it depends on the card. For example the Brewery is on that does stack. It would be a bit ridiculous to get get extra income for the 1st, 2nd, and bonus abilities. This was also discussed in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodzilla68 wrote:
rccoll wrote:

Well I have been wrong before, especially with the rules as wonderfully written as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodzilla68 wrote:
rccoll wrote:

I understand it as you keep the original bonus on the first building and get the special bonus for the second building (replacing the original one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Randy has confirmed in an earlier thread that "You get both abilities".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Rathert
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Steve T.

That is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Castanié
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hej guys,

Steve777 wrote:

Having said that, what about the Scriptorium ?

The text says : "When activated the player may use 1 die rolled as if it were two dice of the same value. When a second Scriptorium is built and activated they may use 2 rolled dice of the same value as if they were 3 of the same value."

So if I have two 2s, I can make them three 2s with one building or three 2s with two buildings... What's the interest ? What did I miss ?ninja

Maybe if I have two 2s and one 1, I can make them three 2s and two 1s with two buildings... Am I right ?cool

If so, it is the only time the second building is less powerful than the first one but still that's the author's choice.whistle

Thanks for your answers

Emmanuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve777 wrote:

ransta2 wrote:
@Steve T.

That is correct

I think this needs more clarification. In the other thread about the Brewery http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1532763/brewery-clarific..., Randy confirmed that the abilities don't stack. So again I think it depends on the building and we need more clarification on which ones stack and which ones don't. Just saying "you get both" isn't specific enough to determine which buildings you are referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ornifan wrote:
Hej guys,

Steve777 wrote:

Having said that, what about the Scriptorium ?

The text says : "When activated the player may use 1 die rolled as if it were two dice of the same value. When a second Scriptorium is built and activated they may use 2 rolled dice of the same value as if they were 3 of the same value."

So if I have two 2s, I can make them three 2s with one building or three 2s with two buildings... What's the interest ? What did I miss ?ninja

Maybe if I have two 2s and one 1, I can make them three 2s and two 1s with two buildings... Am I right ?cool

If so, it is the only time the second building is less powerful than the first one but still that's the author's choice.whistle

Thanks for your answers

Emmanuel

This is how I interpret it...

For the 1st building you get the 1 dice your rolled (a 2 for example) then you get an imaginary dice that counts as if you rolled another 2.

For the 2nd building you get the 2 dice you rolled (two 2's for example) then you get an imaginary dice that counts as if you rolled another 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
mbmb
My understanding is that the abilities stack. It's hard enough even getting two buildings, let alone building them and activating them. Some of the second abilities are actually worse than the original ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Castanié
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

Jeff, be careful : they do NOT always stack (the brewery is the perfect example ; have to admit : I didn't take time to check all the buildings, so far, but now it is obvious).

Okay so basically, what we need now is a list from Randy (for instance) saying "stack/no stack" for each building, right ? whistle

Hence, I guess the scriptorium stacks.

I'll create a new subject ASAP,
Have a nice week-end,

Emmanuel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy (the designer) has stated in another thread that the newest edition of the rules state that players are only allowed to buy ONE Scriptorium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Castanié
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woaw.

To be honest, I'm working on a V2 in which you can buy one of EACH buildings so...

Regards,

Emmanuel who is making new cards and a Crusad Board before his first test of his V2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.