B Wu
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a first solo play-through after getting this in the mail on Friday... a US win on May 31 (I think), with historical starting positions. Pretty fun, although a lot rode on the random factor of whether the game would be long enough for the US forces to make it up to Attu village in time.

A couple quick clarification questions:

* During refit, Japanese can only place Unknown units from offboard if they are exchanged for on-board Known units (revealed or unrevealed), right? So if the US have managed to eliminate most of the Known units before calling a refit turn, the Japanese won’t have much ability to place new Unknown units on the board?

* 8.5 "Ranged Fire Combat never eliminates the last Japanese Infantry unit in a hex" – but this does not apply to Unknown units, which can be removed, if I understand the later part of 8.5 correctly. Does "Ranged Fire Combat" in this case also include Airpower, or can Airpower remove the last Japanese Infantry unit in a hex?

* When Melee is declared against a hex, can the units in that hex move during their player turn – either to a different hex in the same ZOC if during the day, or out of that unit’s ZOC (and therefore melee range) altogether if during a night turn? Or are units that are the subject of a Melee attack essentially pinned to their hex?

* Can a unit that is subject to a Melee attack, during its player turn, reciprocally declare Melee (though I have no idea why it would want to do that) – or, more likely, conduct Ranged Combat against an attacking hex and then defend in Melee as normal in the next phase?

Sorry if some of these are dumb questions. In my eagerness to get this to the table, I probably didn't read the rulebook as closely as I should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Refit: Not quite. This is not a unit for unit replacement. You can place all unknown units provided that they are placed within seven hexes of where units were removed and that the number of unknown units does not exceed the total number of Japanese units not in play. Check out 9.6.2.

Air power is a type of ranged combat, so no.

Units are marked for melee but targets are not selected until the melee phase. So, units can be marked for melee at anytime during activation. However, how those melee work out is resolved later.

HTH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Wu
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike!

mpnagel wrote:
Refit: Not quite. This is not a unit for unit replacement. You can place all unknown units provided that they are placed within seven hexes of where units were removed and that the number of unknown units does not exceed the total number of Japanese units not in play. Check out 9.6.2.

Ah ha! This is a pretty significant difference from my incorrect play. Pretty sure the US would not have won my game if I'd been doing that right. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Adams
msg tools
I have a question about an apparent basic inconsistency between examples. In the movement example on page 6, it clearly indicates that a US unit requires the expenditure of 4 movement points to move from a clear hex at one level to a clear hex at the next highest level. In the Supply example on page 8, the same movement is shown as costing 3 movement points (for example, hex 2306 to 2207 and hex 2408 to 2307). Which is correct or what am I not understanding? Steve Adams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ... *crap*

The supply example is wrong. There should be an additional +1 for going up a level in that example.

You look at these things a million times and they just don't register.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's new text for that example:

In the supply line example above, we're assuming daylight and non-rain weather. The 13th Engineer supply depot is within six movement points of the landing zone, so it is in supply and can provide supply to other units. The Independent unit is also within its movement rate away from the landing zone so it is in supply as well. The 13th Engineers unit is within its movement rate from its supply depot and is therefore in supply. The 1/17 Company is 10 movement points away (its movement rate is seven points) so it is out of supply. If weather were rain, all of the units would have their movement rates reduced by one, so all of them would be out of supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Adams
msg tools
Sorry to nitpick, don't you want to say in the third sentence that the "2/32 infantry unit is 8 movement points away from the landing zone and it has a movement allowance of 7, so it is out of supply"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the image I posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another clarification:

The combat modifier "Across across Up Slope" refers to attacks across a "ridge" where the target is on the same level as the attacker (like from 1806 to 1807).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of 'ridges', is there a diagram showing visual differences between the types of terrain anywhere?

I think I understand the 'ridge' vs. 'slope' vs 'up level' difference, but am not sure. At first I thought a 'slope' and an 'up level' were two different things and I kept trying to find a visual representation of said difference. I finally realized they are the same and it only affects how the two sides move.

There appears to be only one area where 'ridges' exist - Cupp's Hill - and their only effect on play is for LOS and when a unit crosses the hexside. Is that correct?

BTW, this is my first time playing through the game and I am enjoying it so far. The poor US rolled williwaw on the first turn so not much happened. Starting turn two now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

There is not, but I'll see what I can cobble together. In the meantime, let me try to clarify:

"Up Level" is just that. A unit is moving up hill or fighting a unit that is at a higher level.

"Slope" is a terrain type that generally leads to a higher or lower level.

So, a unit attacking another unit that is both at a higher level and on the other side of a slope would be modified by both (ex 2017 to 2116).

What we're referring to as a "Ridge" is an exception to Slope terrain leading to a higher or lower level. The only place that happens is on Cupp's Hill. When attacking from 1907 to 2007, for instance, only the "Slope" modifier would apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpnagel wrote:
Paul,

In the meantime, let me try to clarify:

"Up Level" is just that. A unit is moving up hill or fighting a unit that is at a higher level.

"Slope" is a terrain type that generally leads to a higher or lower level.

So, a unit attacking another unit that is both at a higher level and on the other side of a slope would be modified by both (ex 2017 to 2116).

So, Mike, if this is true, the melee combat example on page 11 is incorrect, because it is only being modified by the -2 modifier.

Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being off-the-grid so long. Real life has been getting in the way of just about everything.

You are correct. I forgot the -1 for up slope in the example. I'll be posting a FAQ soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.