Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loony Quest was by far my biggest surprise of 2015. In general when we are talking about light games I use to like the ones with cute artwork, interesting mechanics and most important with a twist that really takes my interest. When I first put my eyes in Loony Quest I was hooked by the art and the simple drawing mechanic, but one thing put me off for a while: the intrinsecal expiration date. I have no games in my collection that had it: more or less, I could play unlimited games of all my titles. With Loony Quest, even though you can play a level any times you wish, it would eventually reach a point when you know the worlds so well all the interest in playing it would have been disminished, even gone.

I had not reach that point yet but the surprising point every level offers was far gone. I knew what to expect in every world and in every level, and what were the challenges they offer. I was then really excited when I saw the tweet of Libellud about the expansion, and more important, I was hyped by the biggest element: why it had a pyramid?? My excitement levels were off the roof and I knew that as soon as it hit the store, it would have been an insta buy. It did last friday (once of the times been an Spanish is an advantage in the board games world) and I bring it home to see how it was.

The first thing I wanted to look was of course the new levels. I decided not to put any photos of them not to take the surprise for you when you play them but there are all excelent. The artwork quality of them are awesome as always, they are interesting and in my opinion a litle harder than originals, and they all have that same vibe of the original ones. They all enter a new mechanic, that is the portals. Basically, some levels have portals that allow you to transport from one point to another, in the sense that even though the level requires a single straight lane it is not necessary you do it, you could end in one point of the portal, and continue in the second one. I really like it because it adds to the 2 mechanics of the original (the keys and the swithches to open the lasers) and makes really cool levels mixing them. In addittion they are all really themed on the underwater, opening a door to new themed expansions. I specially liked the 12 world because it has a surprising visual effect I dindnt realize until my girlfriend pointed it out
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the world is on space, and in some levels the lack of gravity makes the elements are not straight, but in a somewhat 3d design

Apart from the levels, this expansion only offers 2 more things. Low? In my opinion the main reason to buy it is the new levels, so I guess offers a little more of that is enough. The first thing that adds is a new bonus and a new penalty. They both are, in my opinion, a little overpowered. The bonus allow you to before starting the level, "mark" a point in the sheet, therefore allowing you to, one you start drawing, having the certainty of where something is. Really good to spot jinx, or even more interesting, where the more important danger is. The penalty is uninspired but really hard: when you pick it you discard it, and draw 2. That is just not fair. Imagine the scenario my gf and I pictured where you pick 2 of them, you would end with lets say switching hands, blinded, straight arm, and siwthced cardboard. Dear. I would have to play them more to have a decision, but they seem really good.

And we reach the biggest point of the expansion and the more hyped element of the expansion: the pyramid! And it is... so disappointing. For 2 main reasons I would elaborate. First, it is low quality. Im not sure it was because of the low price mark (14.99 for the expansion on Spain) but it feels cheap, unstable, and it was really hard to make it stand. Not even kidding, me and my gf took like 10 minutes to make it stand. Even worst, you have to dismantle it every time you end the game, and I doubt it would be stable when you play it some times.

The second point though is the most important and the more disappointing for me: you only use it in one world. Yeah, the main selling point for them (it adds a 3d pyramid!) and 80% of the game could be played without it. I thought when I see it on the description that the pyramid was an important element of the expansion, and turns out it is an accesory for one world. Basically it makes it harder to watch the worlds, wich is an interesting idea, so why only use it in one? Why add an element that it is useful only in one of the worlds? And even more important, why hyped it with a big construction (even unstable) just to be something you would only use once? Thats it, if you go all worlds, one afther the other, you would use the pyramid only in one of them. Dissapointing.

But it turned off the opinion of the expansion? Hard to tell. Right now, it didn`t. Honestly I bought Loony Quest: The Lost City just because they were more awesome levels for an awesome game, and in that regard this expansion delivers. If you like the game, this expansion will bring you awesome levels for that original game. Great artwork, challenges and interesting level designs, even adding a new twist with the portal mechanic. But if you are expecting it to somewhat change the original one, add more deep experience, stay away for it, because I dont feel it offers enough to change the original experience.

The interior of the box is awesome too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your review! I expected more penalties and bonuses than one of each... The pyramid does not attract me that much, but maybe we can change the new double penalty into something like "if you draw it, you have to put the pyramid on the level" to make it harder for everyone? Two birds with one stone ;-)
I will buy it soon too, the price point is really interesting, like the base game's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
needahand wrote:
maybe we can change the new double penalty into something like "if you draw it, you have to put the pyramid on the level" to make it harder for everyone? Two birds with one stone ;-)

Thats actually a nice idea, I would try it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Oliveira
United States
south orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone know where you can purchase this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njbrodeur87 wrote:
Anyone know where you can purchase this?

All online spanish stores have it, not sure if they ship to USA though, worth a try to ask. If you need me to provide some links, feel free to pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor Vilchez
Spain
Barakaldo
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
needahand wrote:
maybe we can change the new double penalty into something like "if you draw it, you have to put the pyramid on the level" to make it harder for everyone?

Good Idea, but I add something more.
"If you draw it, you have to put the pyramid on the next level. Draw a new penalty tile".

Because the pyramid is a penalty for everybody but the person who draw the penalty must suffer something, isnt it? ;-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
I am addicted to Game Design!
badge
Time flies when designing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
The pyramid can be used in all the levels of the expansion as in the ones of the base game. It is on the rules, and allow players to renew their experience with the levels they know. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel A Fernandez Rico
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immaterial wrote:
The pyramid can be used in all the levels of the expansion as in the ones of the base game. It is on the rules, and allow players to renew their experience with the levels they know. meeple

Double check it, it is either a bad translation on the Spanish Rules, or is not correct. It says "Pyramid is used in World 11". Is in fact the only one that has a little pyramid icon in the rules, letting you know you need to use it, even if you forget it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Badioli
Italy
Senigallia
Ancona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the pyramid. Very low quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miguel_fernan wrote:
Immaterial wrote:

Double check it, it is either a bad translation on the Spanish Rules, or is not correct. It says "Pyramid is used in World 11". Is in fact the only one that has a little pyramid icon in the rules, letting you know you need to use it, even if you forget it.

English Rules have a Note under the rules for the Pyramid Ship.

"Note: For a tougher challenge, you can also play all other Loony Quest Worlds with the Pyramid Ship in position!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for your review
Very informative and helped me to decide if it was for me

I like Loony Quest but didnt buy the expansion because i thought that all the new stages needed the pyramid to be used - i think of it as fiddly and in a way unnecessarily difficult for my friends who are already struggling with the later stages

But hearing that it is seldom used and the new stages can be played without the pyramid has made it a must buy for me
More stages the better!
Thanks for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.