mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently got a free PnP download of Salvo so had a run out with HMS Hood v Gneisenau in this fictional encounter!

The Gneisenau is returning to port after a successful commerce raiding mission in the North Atlantic. It has so far managed to elude the elements of the RN Home Fleet which have been scouring the seas for her.

However, HMS Hood having been recalled from the search to Scapa Flow by the Admiralty is steaming on a collision course with the raider approximately 150 miles NE of The Faroe Islands in the North Sea.

Through the misty winter squalls HMS Hood's look outs spot Gneisenau crossing their T at Medium-Long range.

Hood immediatley strives to close the range and goes to action stations and fires her front battery at the German ship straddling her and causing both turret and flotation damage. Gneisenau replies with a broadside but misses completely and tries to turn away and disappear in the mists.

Hood goes broadside on and again straddles the Nazi at extreme range causing turret and flotation damage again, this time reducing her speed by 3 knots.

Gneisenau turns broadside on and fires a salvo this time causing turret damage to HMS Hood who turns to close the range again.

Again Hood's forward turrets strike the Gneisenau again reducing her speed and damaging more of her turrets. Gneisenau replies and manages to cause a loss of 3 knots to Hood.

Hood having closed the range to medium now launches a devestating broadside to again reduce the flotation, firepower and speed on the Gneisenau who can now only muster 3 knots maximum speed.

Gneisenau replies but fire control has been so reduced that she cannot hit Hood at all.

Hood again sweeps the superstructure of the unfortunate German who is left dead in the water and listing to Port. Most of her turrets are now out of action.

Gneisenau replies with a broadside and causes slight flotation damage to the Hood but again a furious broadside from the pride of the RN destroys the last of the Gneisenau's turrets and with now with no offensive capability and dead in the water with no chance of escape the Kapitan calls abandon ship and scuttles Gneisenau in the freezing wintry North Sea.

HMS Hood signals its resounding victory to a battle weary population!

I printed this game off as I had to travel back to Scotland at very short notice and with only hand luggage so needed something that took up very little space.

This little game and the system was a revelation to me. It was quick and extremely enjoyable.

A really good game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. Your write up sounds like it was a fun game. It's nice to see HMS Hood having a more positive experience considering in a little over 6 months will see her doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR, but a bit of a one-sided contest, don't you think? Hood has much larger guns (15" versus 11") and about 30% greater displacement (46,500 tons versus 32,000 tons). About the only real advantage Gneisenau has is a 2-3 knot speed advantage -- it wouldn't have made for a very interesting action, but the smart thing for her to have done right from the start was to try and disengage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Great AAR, but a bit of a one-sided contest, don't you think? Hood has much larger guns (15" versus 11") and about 30% greater displacement (46,500 tons versus 32,000 tons). About the only real advantage Gneisenau has is a 2-3 knot speed advantage -- it wouldn't have made for a very interesting action, but the smart thing for her to have done right from the start was to try and disengage.

Definitely, but this was my first time out with the game so I just chose 2 random ships and went at it with the solitaire rules to see how it plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweaty wrote:
I just chose 2 random ships and went at it with the solitaire rules to see how it plays.

It might be interesting to see how the scenario worked out with both Scharnhort & Gneisenau operating together (as they often did) against Hood alone, or perhaps Hood and a County-class CA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.