Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

the game is really looking nice, no doubt about that.

if they would be a larger company i would probably back, but they are only 2 guys... seems risky :)

but it is also looking very similar to SoB.

from the look of the faith tokens, to the depth track to the pattern of placing the monsters and so on...

what do you think about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I copy and paste my comment about this from ks comment

SoB is a festival dice. You roll for everything in FF Game style. It's may be funny, but no so tactic (for me).
In Darklight the ai is deeper and seems you must think very well every turn. You have rules for elevation, area control and more.
SoB and Darklight have the same father, Warhammer Quest. But are brother that take differents way, not only for theme

P.s: sorry for my english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
hi,

if they would be a larger company i would probably back, but they are only 2 guys... seems risky

from the look of the faith tokens, to the depth track to the pattern of placing the monsters and so on...

I am working on a Grouppledge for this game , there is also an https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/182771/kickstarter-collec...

for germany. So if you want you can post it there and ask the people around to follow us. Or i will do it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
if they would be a larger company i would probably back, but they are only 2 guys... seems risky

It seems risky because it is. It's the creator's First Project, and I can't find any project management or business experience in his FB. Definitely ask the creator for this information since you're interested in the game. Likewise, ask him how much playtesting has been done, including blind playtesting.

Did you have a chance to read the rules draft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
cador2 wrote:

It seems risky because it is. It's the creator's First Project, and I can't find any project management or business experience in his FB. Definitely ask the creator for this information since you're interested in the game. Likewise, ask him how much playtesting has been done, including blind playtesting.

All you wrote is right but...

Lately i had more trouble with major ks company than emerging authors.

Think also this.. if a minor author make a ks is because he love his project.
It's a project that work for year and invest part of his life for that.
Work, family... all.

He want make the game with all his heart. But not only. Usually he want it is a blast!! And often this is more strong then business motivations.

In project like this, you married an idea and bet on it... In the original ks spirit.

It's not for pay less and have more, but for make it a reality.
Obviously, if you like the project and the idea

p.s.: again... sorry for my english
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask them about the Manufacturer for their Miniatures and tiles:
And it is Panda Games that has produced a lot games components in the past. I guess everyone played at least 1 or 2 games of them! Thats a good sign.

Next i asked about testing phase. 4 Years was the answer and think thats a good time for it. If the rules are not well created, polished etc.. the in itself will not work well at the end.

Next was a difference to Descent and they answered , it is more like Warhammer Quest and this is a very strategic game where 1 or 2 wrong steps can be your end but that doesnt mean this cannot be fun, because you can try again.(Funfact: Warhammer Quest went to Steam as a PC game and it was horrible because you had an Topdown version of the boardgame and no one wanted it).

They also told me that its more like a Dark Souls and also has some elements like the game Darkest Dungeon.

I think you should short read the rulebook on the KS page then think again about.

Another thing is, they pointed out that some % of the finance go to the unexpected costs and thats a good sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
hi,

No risk at all. Journey wrath of demon were also 2 guys.
Game looks great. Value looks great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
cador2 wrote:

There is always risk, yes.

I don't smell any scam here, I've been following Mauro and the project for a while. If it were a scam, they wouldn't have worked on it so long and produced as many original assets as they have (that would be counterproductive to scamming).

There is the risk of mismanagement, but everything seems reasonable. Appropriate delivery date, appropriate asking price, small stretch goals that aren't going to kill the project's feasibility, etc.

All in all, I would pledge (and may still) if I were interested. My only problem is the mini size, currently. Just too big, when 99% of my minis fit comfortably within the 28-32mm range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Baginski
Germany
49074 Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
No risk at all.

Sorry, but that is just naive.
Kickstarter is ALWAYS a risk and stating something else is just plainly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ressless wrote:
They also told me that its more like a Dark Souls and also has some elements like the game Darkest Dungeon.

I didn't play any of the Dark/Demon Souls series but the gameplay video very much reminded me of Diablo and the likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny_Bravo wrote:
skolo wrote:
No risk at all.

Sorry, but that is just naive.
Kickstarter is ALWAYS a risk and stating something else is just plainly wrong.

Just bear in mind that skolo is ever the optimist...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19892987#19892987
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19937095#19937095
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17185678#17185678
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hornburg
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What mm range are these minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
petegrey wrote:
What mm range are these minis?

Similar to Kingdom Death about 35mm (the Black Knight in this one is leaning to the side).

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest issue is the project finish date. These type of games take a long time to produce even by the biggest companies out there. Then when games do not make the scheduled time frame backers start screaming holy hell. I just don't see how this will only take about a year....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what's the problem to wait more if the game will be good? How many of you complained about delays and still pledge stuff on KS? We all know how KS works so we should be ready for delays and so on, but I will wait even more if needed because this game couldn't be available again or easily after KS so I don't want to have regrets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Taliesin

Benevento
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ressless wrote:
I ask them about the Manufacturer for their Miniatures and tiles:
And it is Panda Games that has produced a lot games components in the past. I guess everyone played at least 1 or 2 games of them! Thats a good sign.

Next i asked about testing phase. 4 Years was the answer and think thats a good time for it. If the rules are not well created, polished etc.. the in itself will not work well at the end.

Next was a difference to Descent and they answered , it is more like Warhammer Quest and this is a very strategic game where 1 or 2 wrong steps can be your end but that doesnt mean this cannot be fun, because you can try again.(Funfact: Warhammer Quest went to Steam as a PC game and it was horrible because you had an Topdown version of the boardgame and no one wanted it).

I think you should short read the rulebook on the KS page then think again about.

Another thing is, they pointed out that some % of the finance go to the unexpected costs and thats a good sign!

...and just because you've time :-) please do not read the rules only but also the lore....AWESOME!

http://www.darkicegames.com/Public/DarklightLore.pdf

Finally something different from elves, orcs etc...great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Totter
Denmark
Brønshøj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Warhammer Quest, so was excited about this.
But the system is just lifted 90% from WHQ, from what I saw from the video, thats very disappointing I think.

Couldnt they at least have used something else than the D6, just a small thing like that, would have made a huge difference as to how WHQ plays. Oh well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess that the essence of backing a KS project is TRUST. Lots of things can happen during the process (some of them are good too, like meeting the different goals), but all in all it is a personal risk/reward decision whether to pledge or not. I have decided to back this one, for I feel it has a lot of potential, and the creator is REALLY close to his backers in terms of feedback. I will keep a close eye on the project, ofc.

All the info around this project seems consistent, and for those requesting a more "solid" background for the developers, the only way to become experienced is through experience itself, so lets break the circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know WHQ, so backing this one wasn't blocked by any resemblances to that particular game.

I want to add that even slight changes to a game's mechanic can change the look and feel of a game very much. For example, many games share the mechanic of building dice pools of d6s and rolling for successes against a defined but variable target number. Arkham Horror and its successors do that, Shadowrun does that, several dungeon crawlers do that. This game using a mechanic similar to a game one already knows and likes should be an argument for backing the game, not against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through the rules, this feels more like a re-skinned Warhammer Quest.

I can't say that I feel confident of the rules. They look a little like your games will be all the 'same'. Warhammer Quest practically created the Dungeon Crawler and people love it more for nostalgia than it being a fantastic game. The truth is, the gameplay gets old fairly quickly.

The rules here really look like a knock-off on WQ. The 'event' check each round that can result in an event or spawning monsters. The move/attack feel. Combat looks pretty simplistic. Roll and hit/miss. Roll for damage. Now there could be equipment that makes this more interesting. Many games end up being greater than the sum of their parts, but only with all the components.

The Accured Heart mechanic does look a little neat, both as a light and a healing mechanic.

I thought somebody (in some thread) said that the AI was good. It looks solid, but simple to me. Pretty much like WQ. Monsters move/attack, their actions attempt to pair up evenly with the enemy and so forth. Maybe the details are on some of the monsters cards that we've not yet seen?

All in all, the miniatures look fantastic, the gameplay looks solid, but sadly, a little dull. I don't know what to think about this game. It's probably too pricey for me, with the exchange rate to Canadian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
I don't know WHQ, so backing this one wasn't blocked by any resemblances to that particular game.

I want to add that even slight changes to a game's mechanic can change the look and feel of a game very much. For example, many games share the mechanic of building dice pools of d6s and rolling for successes against a defined but variable target number. Arkham Horror and its successors do that, Shadowrun does that, several dungeon crawlers do that. This game using a mechanic similar to a game one already knows and likes should be an argument for backing the game, not against it.

Unless that mechanic is not liked by that player. From what I can tell this is a simple roll d6 and get over 4+ for your attacks, which seems to be the Dark Knight's base attack. That's painfully dull to me. I'm sure there are modifiers but, for me at least, if there is no player agency to affect the results, I find those simple mechanics too boring to hold my interest for several dungeon crawls. If there was a solid risk/reward mechanic then I find things get interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sarimrune wrote:
After reading through the rules, this feels more like a re-skinned Warhammer Quest.

I can't say that I feel confident of the rules. They look a little like your games will be all the 'same'. Warhammer Quest practically created the Dungeon Crawler and people love it more for nostalgia than it being a fantastic game. The truth is, the gameplay gets old fairly quickly.

The rules here really look like a knock-off on WQ. The 'event' check each round that can result in an event or spawning monsters. The move/attack feel. Combat looks pretty simplistic. Roll and hit/miss. Roll for damage. Now there could be equipment that makes this more interesting. Many games end up being greater than the sum of their parts, but only with all the components.

The Accured Heart mechanic does look a little neat, both as a light and a healing mechanic.

I thought somebody (in some thread) said that the AI was good. It looks solid, but simple to me. Pretty much like WQ. Monsters move/attack, their actions attempt to pair up evenly with the enemy and so forth. Maybe the details are on some of the monsters cards that we've not yet seen?

All in all, the miniatures look fantastic, the gameplay looks solid, but sadly, a little dull. I don't know what to think about this game. It's probably too pricey for me, with the exchange rate to Canadian.

I am going to re-post some of the things I said elserwhere:

"Your character (depending on how you decide to develop it) can react to attacks, for example you can Dodge or Tumble when attacked (at the cost of stamina).

Dodge costs 1 stamina and allows you to roll a number of d6 equal to your evasion value (from item and your agility score), and for every 3+ you avoid 1 damage.

Tumble allows you to shift your miniature in an adjacent square so you complete avoid the attack, and if you are surrounded you will also avoid all other monsters which were about to attack you.

Position is key in this game do not corner yourself and do not burn your stamina too quickly!

It makes a massive difference when you can master Dodge and Tumble, but I do find new players often forgets and die because of it."

This game only looks and feels like Warhammer Quest on the surface, but it's not, I wouldn't have spent 4 years designing it if I wanted to copy/paste WQ.

There are a lot of other unique aspects to it like magic, Darkness Wheel and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone is about spelunking (you know, in a cave) while D:MM is a dungeon crawl. Completely different games.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Totter
Denmark
Brønshøj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:

I am going to re-post some of the things I said elserwhere:

"Your character (depending on how you decide to develop it) can react to attacks, for example you can Dodge or Tumble when attacked (at the cost of stamina).

Dodge costs 1 stamina and allows you to roll a number of d6 equal to your evasion value (from item and your agility score), and for every 3+ you avoid 1 damage.

Tumble allows you to shift your miniature in an adjacent square so you complete avoid the attack, and if you are surrounded you will also avoid all other monsters which were about to attack you.

Position is key in this game do not corner yourself and do not burn your stamina too quickly!

It makes a massive difference when you can master Dodge and Tumble, but I do find new players often forgets and die because of it."

This game only looks and feels like Warhammer Quest on the surface, but it's not, I wouldn't have spent 4 years designing it if I wanted to copy/paste WQ.

There are a lot of other unique aspects to it like magic, Darkness Wheel and so on.

Watching that gameplay video from the KS page, from 2:14 to 8:10, only difference is exploration phase is in the start and not end of a turn and when you roll a 1, its not always an event/moster because of that unique darkness wheel.

And then you have split the event deck and monster deck in two, so you dont have to shuffle them together. The rest is just about 95% like Warhammer Quest. Am I wrong in that? And if so how?

Would love to buy your game, but I already have Warhammer Quest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:

Yes. Some monster have ai cards more complex than other. In the rules ther are only the base monster ai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.