Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The race track tiles contain icons showing -1 Cog and a colored die. I'm surmising that the icon means you can pay any number of cogs and receive that number of dice in the color shown. Do you have to land on that space and stop or simply pass through it to gain that benefit? And where is this covered in the rule book? I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for shedding light on this for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on Page 9 of the Rulebook section: Challenge Space / Tiles

The ones on the map are Challenge spaces and there are some Challenge tiles that you may choose to place on the track if you want...

you guessed it right, in the payment of cogs to get dice...

regarding the other question:

• When moving your Inventor Pawn multiple spaces forward, you may pause at
Challenge spaces to execute them along the way; you must then complete your
movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an errata for the second question, in order to avoid weird border cases. You need to stop on the challenge space to use the action, though nothing prevents you from placing other dice on your machine afterwards.

• With the exception of Crowds and Glaciers, you must be at-rest on a Challenge Space to execute it; you can no longer pause on them Mid-Movement to execute them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thank you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just responding to make it official, both Paolo and Conan are officially correct. BGG to the rescue again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question to these spaces-

Can you can you exchange cogs for dice one at a time seeing what you roll before deciding if you need additional dice, or do you declare how many cogs you're exchanging and then do the swap rolling all at once?

e.g. In the former, for example you need a dice with 5 pips to activate a machine part. You exchange one cog and roll the dice. If you roll a 5, you activate and move on. If you roll a 4, instead of getting another dice, you just spend the cog to increase to 5 and save on filling another slot on the machine part, if you roll any less, you probably then spend another cog for another additional dice.

However, if you were to have to declare how many dice you were getting, you're forced to evaluate the odds and potentially have wasted cogs on unnecessary dice if you get a lucky dice roll.

Personally, I think the decision in the latter is more interesting but was curious how others play and what their preference is.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official answer is you can roll the dice and see before deciding to spend more, because you can do it any time as long as your character is on that spot (including over multiple phases or even multiple turns).

You are, of course, free to house rule it the other way if you prefer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.