Puerto Rico» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Puerto Rico - session with two new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Lim
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
Last night I was over at Pieter and Heidi’s place for dinner and boardgaming. Pieter and Heidi are relatively new to boardgaming. I have introduced them to Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride: Marklin so far and they have enjoyed playing all of them. This time, I decided to pull out something heavier for them to try as the next step up.

I went through explaining the components and what they mean to Pieter and Heidi while setting up the game. After a quick 5-minute rules explanation, we went through a practice round to demonstrate the mechanics of the game. Both are fast learners and picked up the rules and mechanics quickly, so we restarted the game.

I started out trying to get quarries with the settler, while Pieter and Heidi went for the corn and tobacco plantation tiles. I then switched to obtaining corn and sugar for my sugar mill and purchased an indigo mill to start producing indigo. They quickly purchased production buildings for tobacco and coffee to monopolise that commodity market as I don’t have any tobacco or coffee production. Pieter was constantly trading his coffee and tobacco at the trading house to obtain valuable doubloons which helped him to obtain a harbour and wharf. Heidi did not purchase any warehouses and that reared its ugly head during the captain phases. Heidi had to discard so many of her goods after each captain phase and that slowed her down immensely. Three-quarters into the game, I figured I was closely matched with Pieter in terms of VPs, but I was unable to reap in enough doubloons to build a City Hall. Then Pieter did what I wanted to do, building a Residence on his board. The next captain phase after that turned out to be the last round of the game and Pieter shipped off his whole load of tobacco using his wharf and gained the extra VPs that would help him to win the game.

Final score:

Pieter – 51 points (with bonus VPs of his Residence building)
Me – 48 points cry
Heidi – 39 points

After the game, Pieter and Heidi commented that Puerto Rico was a very interesting game and they are looking forward to another round of Puerto Rico soon, and that’s great to hear!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.