Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I played a game of this yesterday where we managed to shuffle almost all the yellow customers to the top and realised that you can only sensibly take 12 between you (awkwardly as have to expand to the right), but there are 14 in the deck.

This means the free spots disappear, and there's, as far as I can tell, no way to clear them without locking up your cafe.

Is that as intended, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decline to take a guest or can't take one, then the farthest right guest is discarded and the line of guests moves down. You may still be stuck with yellow guests for a few turns, but I guess you just need to make the most of it. That's some crazy randomness, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no mention of discarding the guest on the right if you don't take one anywhere in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
If you decline to take a guest or can't take one, then the farthest right guest is discarded and the line of guests moves down. You may still be stuck with yellow guests for a few turns, but I guess you just need to make the most of it. That's some crazy randomness, though!

You seem to be confusing the rules for GAH with those from another game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad that I haven't been playing it wrong this whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, there's nothing in the rules about discarding them like that. I think it would hurt the game if they shifted down so regularly.

As an end of round effect it would work though, albeit yeah it's silly odds to come up anyway ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
As others said, there's nothing in the rules about discarding them like that. I think it would hurt the game if they shifted down so regularly.

As an end of round effect it would work though, albeit yeah it's silly odds to come up anyway ^^.

I reread the rule book and found my mistake. Two sentences were right next to each other that I mistook for relating. It said that you can take a guest or elect not to. Then you move all the cards down to fill the empty slot. Thanks for helping me see where my error was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Robinson
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
So, I played a game of this yesterday where we managed to shuffle almost all the yellow customers to the top and realised that you can only sensibly take 12 between you (awkwardly as have to expand to the right), but there are 14 in the deck.

This means the free spots disappear, and there's, as far as I can tell, no way to clear them without locking up your cafe.

Chris' concern seems valid. In a two player game I can see one colour of customer congesting the track maybe every 10th game. Even if the colour of room is available to the players it might be right up in the top right corner of their boards. It looks to me to be remiss that the designers didn't address the issue. It could be a rule for instance (just for the 2 player game?) that if all available guests were the same colour then they are all discarded and a new set is delt out. Okay I have only played one game so I'm just mouthing off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Came here to look for this exact issue. We came across this during last nights game, (2 player game) our scores were terrible at the end due to this, but at least we were both in the same boat. We did consider discarding one from the end if no one took a guest card on their turn, but decided against it. Didn't want to start making our own rules up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:

Would it work if one just made the guest deck at the start of the game so the numbers of each colour matched the number of each colour that you could possibly take (and maybe reducing the green ones as well to mean the proportions stayed the same)?

So, if on the two players' boards there only added up to be 12 yellow spots you could deal out 12 cards from a presorted and shuffled yellow deck etc, then do the same for blue and red, and then reduce the greens by the average amount of each colour that has been removed. Finally, shuffle it all together.

Of course that would add some prep work, which given that the situation is relatively unlikely to happen might be annoying, but at least you could be sure of not getting a complete lock up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Would it work if one just made the guest deck at the start of the game so the numbers of each colour matched the number of each colour that you could possibly take (and maybe reducing the green ones as well to mean the proportions stayed the same)?

So simple! I wouldn't mind the additional setup. Grand idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

So, if on the two players' boards there only added up to be 12 yellow spots you could deal out 12 cards from a presorted and shuffled yellow deck etc, then do the same for blue and red, and then reduce the greens by the average amount of each colour that has been removed. Finally, shuffle it all together.

Of course that would add some prep work, which given that the situation is relatively unlikely to happen might be annoying, but at least you could be sure of not getting a complete lock up.

So I just went and did some counting.

There are 14 guest cards in each of the 4 colours

Red guests: Every board (on both sides) has 7 red rooms, and there are 14 red guests so you never need to remove red guests.

Blue Guests: On the night side of the board (beginners side) there are 7 blue rooms, so if you're both playing on the beginners side that matches the 14 blue guests, so no need to change. If playing on the day side, they vary from 6 to 8. So it's possible you might need to remove one blue guest in a 2 player game, if one person had the 6 blue board and one had the 7. But with only extra blue guest it seems unlikely to cause a problem.

Yellow guests: On the night side there are only 6 yellow guests, so you might want to reduce the number of yellow guests by 2. On the day sides they vary from 5 to 7, so if you both had the lowest numbers of yellows (5 and 6) you might want to remove 3 yellow guests in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
entwife wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

So I just went and did some counting.

There are 14 guest cards in each of the 4 colours

Red guests: Every board (on both sides) has 7 red rooms, and there are 14 red guests so you never need to remove red guests.

Blue Guests: On the night side of the board (beginners side) there are 7 blue rooms, so if you're both playing on the beginners side that matches the 14 blue guests, so no need to change. If playing on the day side, they vary from 6 to 8. So it's possible you might need to remove one blue guest in a 2 player game, if one person had the 6 blue board and one had the 7. But with only extra blue guest it seems unlikely to cause a problem.

Yellow guests: On the night side there are only 6 yellow guests, so you might want to reduce the number of yellow guests by 2. On the day sides they vary from 5 to 7, so if you both had the lowest numbers of yellows (5 and 6) you might want to remove 3 yellow guests in a 2 player game.

Yes, but... there are also green guests. Green guests occupy your red/blue/yellow rooms, so even if the number of red/blue/yellow cards in the deck match the number of rooms of that color, you might still get red/blue/yellow in the public offer for which you don't have rooms anymore.

I think removing the right-most card from the public offer if a player can't or won't take a customer, is a good house-rule to prevent the public offer from stagnating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.