4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Archipelago vs Fief: France 1429 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Collins
msg tools
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between these two games. Which has luck affect it less? Our group really likes player interaction, conflict, we play a decent amount of A Game of Thrones.

Archipelago seems like a beast to keep all the markets correct. Fief seems like some of the random card can have a dramatic effect of the game.

Which would you choose?

Thanks for any advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the description of Archipelago, and I really enjoyed my one play of it.

I've never played Fief, but it sounds like a bit of a mess. Some would say the same about Archipelago, but it seems like the way a semi-coop in the vein of Archipelago plays out is not enjoyable by many. Fief sounds like it has some of the same, but also quite a few rules issues etc.

Anyway, a thumbs-up for Archipelago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite. I've never played Archipelago (looked fun, but lotta moving parts for my tastes), but I have tried Fief.

If you don't like randomness, I'd steer clear of it. Issues include:
1. Events - They randomly affect areas of the board. If you get hit by a few bad ones in a row, it completely stalls your progress through little fault of your own.
2. There is dice combat - not a huge deal
3. Card draw - some cards seems WAY better than others. if you don't get them tough luck. this may not be a big deal to some people, but it was to me. the same is true of the baby deck. if you really need a man, but all you draw is women...tough luck.

None of the above is terrible...if the game was 1-2 hours. I presume the game expects the negotiation aspects to round out the imbalances. At its currently length, I won't play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.