Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Units ordered to combat twice may not move or take ground that turn."

This last sentence is repetitive and unnecessary due to the rules statements that Machine Gun units can neither move when they fire, or take ground. It may have been put there for extra clarification, but when learning the game it had me going back to the rules several times in confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you follow some of the rules questions that have been posted, I understand very much why the original writers did something "repetitive" that they hoped would head off questions.

There have been so many, "Does X mean X?" questions, plus lots of "Since I can do Y in other games, can I do it here?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

You're a smart guy and I usually enjoy your posts. But you have now repeated this statement several times on a number of different threads.

Yes, some questions are silly. There have also been legitimate questions on TGW based on the usual problems with the complicated task of writing a first edition rules set. While I admire the extra care taken in the text to go over the cards and how they are played for instance, there are still number of real concerns. A single example is the sloppy coexistant use of the phrases "soldier units" and "battlefield units" (meaning the same thing) on the cards that confuse every player I introduce this wonderful game to!

Criticizing people who ask questions on a site mainly devoted to that activity is an interesting choice. I personally just don't comment on the ones I feel are obvious, rather than rake people over the coals about trying to figure out how to play a game they paid a lot of money to buy.

Personally, I raise some questions hoping to help the writers in their future editing, hoping they are in fact reading along with us. Going over incredibly long FAQ for older C&C games and still not finding answers to very basic questions in them can be pretty frustrating too!

We're all doing the best we can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Kevin,

You're a smart guy and I usually enjoy your posts. But you have now repeated this statement several times on a number of different threads.

Yes, some questions are silly. There have also been legitimate questions on TGW based on the usual problems with the complicated task of writing a first edition rules set. While I admire the extra care taken in the text to go over the cards and how they are played for instance, there are still number of real concerns. A single example is the sloppy coexistant use of the phrases "soldier units" and "battlefield units" (meaning the same thing) on the cards that confuse every player I introduce this wonderful game to!

Criticizing people who ask questions on a site mainly devoted to that activity is an interesting choice. I personally just don't comment on the ones I feel are obvious, rather than rake people over the coals about trying to figure out how to play a game they paid a lot of money to buy.

Personally, I raise some questions hoping to help the writers in their future editing, hoping they are in fact reading along with us. Going over incredibly long FAQ for older C&C games and still not finding answers to very basic questions in them can be pretty frustrating too!

We're all doing the best we can.

I agree Chas. Like when you asked about the reserve artillery template allowing doubles to count towards "on target" if the are rolled on a half-hex space. It's not necessarily "obvious" that those wouldn't count, and so it was helpful to learn that, especially when I was demoing the game at a convention yesterday. It was nice to teach that correctly.

As to the Soldier units and Battlefield units being a problem. My impression is that it was worded in this manner for future expansions, such as Tanks. Where perhaps a Tank wouldn't be considered a Soldier unit, but would still be considered a Battlefield unit. Not sure how they will designate the on-board artillery units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg,

Yes, the C&C games have usually been produced with an eye to future expansions, which is cool. You raise an interesting point, which could indeed be the case. Which I'll have to check out--if a retail copy of Tanks ever appears on these shores (sigh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Greg,

Yes, the C&C games have usually been produced with an eye to future expansions, which is cool. You raise an interesting point, which could indeed be the case. Which I'll have to check out--if a retail copy of Tanks ever appears on these shores (sigh).

After thinking about it, I wouldn't think on-board artillery would be considered as soldier units. I can't see them moving 6 hexes with Rush and Rotation.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the Tanks expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To circle back on this, it is now abundantly clear from the Tanks Expansion why the language in question was likely included on the Machine Gun Barrage card.

Specifically, Female Tanks (and the A7V), which are Tank Units (a new type of Battlefield Unit), can use the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim. Male tanks had an MG in the bow as well historically, but I don't know what the Tank rules say specifically. All of the tanks except the Female and Whippet (also MGs) had mixed weapons (Male and A7V).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.