Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I don't play 40K, at least not for the last 8 years.

Claimer: I can read forums like Bell of Lost Souls.

News: The crossover 40K rules for both the Deathwatch and Genestealer Cult are leaked. It seems DW is interesting, but not amazing. It seems the GSC rule are indeed something to behold. GSC can directly ally with Tyranids (but not Astra Militaria, you know, I-Guard). I think there are other ways to ally, but I don't know nothing about that. What the new 40K rules allow is for only 600 points, the GSC can take 40 models and hit the opponent in the face (and throat and gut) on turn one. Yikes! What I would have done for those rules back in my GSC days!

Takeaway: IF I read things correctly, this takes the insurgent "hidden cult" concept and allows the GSC to be quite potent. No slog across an open killing ground. Something much more scarifying. This makes the GSC models more than just novel and desirable. But, very useful in the main game.

Re-Disclaimer: I may not know what the heck I am talking about, so feel free to prove me a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only read second analyses but pre-ordered the White Dwarf with the GSC rules. I haven't played since 5th edition and am primarily interested in DWOK as a board game. However, I might just be tempted to play 7th edition 40k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:
I haven't played since 5th edition and am primarily interested in DWOK as a board game. However, I might just be tempted to play 7th edition 40k

Me likewise, and actually the latest iteration of the 40K rules doesn't look too bad. The detachments idea works well (for my orks anyway ), and vehicles are much harder to blow up with one shot than before.
The psychic phase is a classic GW lash-up though. Totally unnecessary complexity, for effects that could easily have been incorporated into the shooting phase - some things never change shake
The way these brilliant new genestealer models work, looks like a lot of fun though doesn't it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
7th edition is really good. I started playing 5th and the game has gotten better with each iteration. Tactical objectives are great; best change they have made sunce I started playing. They help to balance things out against the over powered setups that always tend to exist. Even if I bring an army that doesnt match well I still have a decent shot at winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a 40K player, 7th ed is excellent.

It won't suit everyone, and certain types of players have/cause problems, but it really depends on what you want from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

It won't suit everyone, and certain types of players have/cause problems, but it really depends on what you want from the game.

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. 40K is hugely dependant on the attitude of the people you play with isn't it. Luckily there aren't really any power gamers in my group, we are just out to have as much fun as possible. But oh how I wish the rules weren't so complicated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
marlowc wrote:
Slev wrote:

You've hit the nail on the head there I think. 40K is hugely dependant on the attitude of the people you play with isn't it. Luckily there aren't really any power gamers in my group, we are just out to have as much fun as possible. But oh how I wish the rules weren't so complicated

I wouldn't say they where complicated, just that there are a LOT of them.
We took to making a card (using old index cards) for each uint in our army. Stats, list of rules from the unit AND the model type (infantry, Monsterous Creature, etc), weapon load-outs & stats, etc. Makes the game tremendously easier!

In the past, they tied to lock 40k down for the tournament/ballence crowd, and the narrative players dropped away.

Now they're targeting more the narrative players and letting tournaments sort out their own ballence, and it's bringing the narrative & causal players back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

I wouldn't say they where complicated, just that there are a LOT of them.
We took to making a card (using old index cards) for each uint in our army. Stats, list of rules from the unit AND the model type (infantry, Monsterous Creature, etc), weapon load-outs & stats, etc. Makes the game tremendously easier!

In the past, they tied to lock 40k down for the tournament/ballence crowd, and the narrative players dropped away.

Now they're targeting more the narrative players and letting tournaments sort out their own ballence, and it's bringing the narrative & causal players back.

You're right, it's the huge volume of the rules that's the problem, though the handy size version of the rulebook does help. I also use that index card system for my ork units - works very well.
We too are definitely more narrative type gamers (I even like the new Warhammer FB rules laugh ). Getting the points balance is important, but not the be-all, and end-all of a game system I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that the GSC is a boon to the Necromunda community as well. INSTANT GSC Gang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquilaprime wrote:
I imagine that the GSC is a boon to the Necromunda community as well. INSTANT GSC Gang!

GSC gangs were never "official" in Necro. But, that never stopped anyone. I can't think of another Post-Necro, out of the box set of figs that fits Necro so well.

There are probably 5 different fan-created gang rules for GSC. None of them perfect. The new GSC figs beg for gang rules that incorporate all the new models.

I keep telling people these ARE your Good Old Days!

EDIT: Upon further review, 39 GSC figs? OMG! This ain't a Genestealer Gang, it's a Genestealer Syndicate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record GSC armies "back in the day" got across the board unscathed most of the time anyway and there were ways to teleport most of the force into your opponent where you wanted them. Played correctly back then they were nearly unstoppable.

Nice to see they are letting them be part of the game again although it would have been cool to see them pseudo allied to Guard and have them as slaves/pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the name of that Psychic Power? I remember I had two resin "gates" from another game I painted up (might still be around here somewhere). Worked great until opponents figured out to blind grenade the near portal. Then, the Genestealers stumbled out and got shot to hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it was either called Gate or Doorway I think. Hell you mostly didn't need to do that though because they could be on an opponents side of the boar din a round or two and be nearly impossible to shoot from all the rng modifiers they got.

I like how they have that same feel now though from what we have seen without going through all that stuff to get them there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.