Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Like many I'm a budding designer. I'm working on a bunch of different things over at apaulinggames.com

On Sunday I updated the site with a print and play game.

I wanted to share it as best as possible. I hope this is the right forum for it. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://apaulinggames.com/tabletop/#/auction-house/

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I looked, and it doesn't have a hook. It needs some development. I'd add some reason to get the different cards. Use some sort of value on each card, so there is a want to get one auction item over another. Set collection, perhaps for some bonus points? It is a bare bones game atm, develop some unique style to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Zitnansky
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, the correct forum could be one of the Design Forums, for example Seeking Play Testers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair criticism, it's designed to be very simple. When playing the fun and excitement comes really from trying to guess what your opponent will play.

My plan is to iterate on the game. For example doing a 'Livestock' version which adds set collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ascruplepen wrote:
That's fair criticism, it's designed to be very simple. When playing the fun and excitement comes really from trying to guess what your opponent will play.

My plan is to iterate on the game. For example doing a 'Livestock' version which adds set collection.

I wasn't criticizing in that manner. I was saying, by the way, you have a game that has already been done in fifty other games (exaggerating a little, 50 is a lot), but they add to the simple concept of an auction game and add some kind of hook that draws you to needing one card versus another. What you have is the basis for every auction game that has a blind card bid.

Case in point: very simple version of this is used in Niagara but the card played determines what you can do on your turn, as well as how fast the river gets going or slows down. And on top of that an exploring theme is thrown on with a cool little river water thing.

Anyways, yes, a livestock theme could be thrown on it, adding values of each type of livestock, or sets or runs, etc. But, that is already done as well. It needs a life of its own, not just an auction game that is an auction game. Face down bidding games have a lot to be explored. Bluffing is important with this type of auction. Turn order? With a turn order, one could bid multiple cards, tokens added to the top of the bid, and many other things can add some life to your beast.

here's one I did: I had two currencies (money and camels). a card (such as what you have)can be bid face-down, but multiples are allowed.
On the cards have pictures on them that shows a camel or 2 or none.

When bidding, you place one card or more face down, on top of it, you can add a camel(s) if you have one or two.

The camel doubles the value of the card that the camel is on if it has pictures of a camel, and if two camels it needs two camels to double it. One can place camels on a card without camel pictures but it is just a bluff.

I used values 1-5 cards in multiples only in this case. Once it was all in your hand, others it was a draw deck so no one could tell what you had left after bidding a certain card.

turn order broke ties, etc. it was bare bones, but some life was given it in the choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, you're totally right. I'll keep working on it. I appreciate the feedback

Now I want to play your game, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.