Subject: Biscuits questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well didn't find much threads about starting item biscuits in there...

Actually, I'm a bit confused on how to use them, especially during weather phase and night phase.

Rules say : "Starting Items can be used at any time during the game, even at the beginning"

Basically I have 3 questions :

1) As long as I dont USE biscuits (i.e. discard 1 marker from the biscuits card to get 1 food cube), it does not rot at night correct ?

2) If weather ends in 1 cloud (I dont have roof), and I have 1 wood, no food resource, but own biscuits. Do I have to use it, hence remove 1 black marker to produce food and discard it due to weather ? Or could I keep my biscuits for later (night phase), and take a wound for unfulfilled demand (discard food) ?
I know FAQ says you cant choose to get a wound instead of discarding something you HAVE, but to me, as long as biscuits are not used, it isn't available food resource, i.e. you dont really HAVE it (in available resource space I mean). Does it make sense or...?

3) If I have no food but biscuits in the night phase, do I have to use it to feed my character, or can I keep it for later (if for example, Im high on life) ?
Basically, rules read : "During the Night phase, every player needs to eat. Discard 1 food per player."
Is this "need" really mandatory ?

Thanks for your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Correct - they're sealed in a tin or something like that
2) I could be wrong, but I agree with you. Don't use the biscuits for that purpose unless you choose to.
3) I believe it's mandatory in the sense that you have to take wounds if you don't eat - but I do NOT believe you are obligated to use the biscuits if you would rather take wounds instead.

I believe it just comes down to rationing. There were times in my life where I didn't have enough to eat, and I skipped meals or didn't eat all I wanted so that I would have some for later when I was more desperate. It stands to reason that if we were stranded on an island then we would do something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbacher wrote:
1) Correct - they're sealed in a tin or something like that
2) I could be wrong, but I agree with you. Don't use the biscuits for that purpose unless you choose to.
3) I believe it's mandatory in the sense that you have to take wounds if you don't eat - but I do NOT believe you are obligated to use the biscuits if you would rather take wounds instead.

Thanks! That's reassuring to see same interpretation here

Any other thoughts ?
It would be great if someone had an official clarification on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, not sure about 3... My understanding is that resource usage is mandatory whenever theyre available (this applies to normal food, but i am not 100% in respect of biscuits, which in principle are a free-to-use item).

In other words, i understand that you are forced to spend resources available whenever theyre required (rain, night phase, animals, cards), and wounds are always the last resource. It's called rule of unfulfilled DEMAND for a reason

Otherwise, (in a solo game) you could for instance save your only food during weather phase and take 1 wound to prevent taking 2 wounds later at night phase.

However,thematically speaking, your reasoning is perfect. Maybe ask Ignacy himself -he usually answers these sort of questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
You pay demands with resources in the available resources space. The biscuits card is not in the available resource space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Meyzieu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add an official clarification on this :
Dumon wrote:
You never need to "cash in" something you can hold indefinitely. You don't need to spend biscuits, nor do you need to slaughter a goat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.