Popular Tags: [View All]
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Title says it all. Why is there no Switzerland section in the Europe main section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because guilds were intended to replace regional forums.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/category/region/Switzerland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, no player is allowed to violate Swiss neutrality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Because guilds were intended to replace regional forums.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/category/region/Switzerland

Which would be nice if more than 1% of BGG's population knew they existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I get there by clicking?

Anyway, seems to be dead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
How do I get there by clicking?

Misc / Guilds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for point this out. Now if there were just any wargamers in northwest Switzerland, things would be great. Been here a year and haven't found a one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:

Thanks for point this out. Now if there were just any wargamers in northwest Switzerland, things would be great. Been here a year and haven't found a one....:(

Wargamers... in Switzerland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
hedererp wrote:

Thanks for point this out. Now if there were just any wargamers in northwest Switzerland, things would be great. Been here a year and haven't found a one....

Wargamers... in Switzerland?

Common misconception. Only place I've lived where we have a full up shelter in the basement with steel blast doors...see below.

"The Reality of Switzerland"

'If you're wondering how Switzerland can remain famously neutral, there are several reasons, but let's start with this: The entire country is rigged to blow.

There are at least 3,000 points of demolition built into bridges, highways, and railroads throughout the nation. And those are just the ones acknowledged by the government. Some of those beautiful mountains are hollow enough to fit whole military divisions. There are cannons hidden in houses -- just waiting, just begging for the chance to kill someone. There are man-made rock slides waiting for the trigger. And all of these Wile E. Coyote traps weren't just set up and abandoned after World War II -- civil engineers undergo regular drills all the time. You know, just in case.

What we're trying to say is that Switzerland is like that quiet kid in the back of class who you just don't fuck with because he knows muay thai and has a weird twitch. Oh, and he has a lot of guns. In Switzerland, every man is required to join the military once he hits 19. That in itself isn't too weird; lots of countries have compulsory conscription.

What's different about Switzerland is that once discharged from basic training, everyone takes their weapons home with them. They have to. It's the law. And they can keep those guns forever, which is one reason why the only two countries that have more firearms per capita than Switzerland are the United States (no surprise there) and Yemen. Not that we can get accurate numbers, because gun registration isn't a thing in Switzerland.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Paul
How old are you A lot of things changed. You can't keep your weapon after you have finished. And no ammo at home anymore. They also remove some explosives under bridges, recently one that leads to Germany. Wholes in mountains a rent/sold for Data-Center. And a lot more. So we're not in Cold War anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
@Paul
How old are you A lot of things changed. You can't keep your weapon after you have finished. And no ammo at home anymore. They also remove some explosives under bridges, recently one that leads to Germany. Wholes in mountains a rent/sold for Data-Center. And a lot more. So we're not in Cold War anymore

Yeah, I know--some of it was for dramatic effect.

We still do have the steel blast doors in the basement though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hedererp wrote:
GarfieldKlon wrote:
@Paul

Yeah, I know--some of it was for dramatic effect.

If you had saved this up for a couple of days it would have made a convincing April Fool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you had saved this up for a couple of days it would have made a convincing April Fool.

Kaiser Wilhelm was visiting Switzerland during maneuvers and approached a trench with Swiss soldiers in it. He greeted them and praised them for their professional manner. Then in his normal bombastic manner, he asked one soldier:

"You are only 100,000 Swiss defenders. What will you do when I come with 200,000 Prussians?"

Without a moment's hesitation the Swiss soldier answered, "We'll just shoot twice, your Majesty"

The Kaiser was so amused he ordered beer for the soldiers.

Kaiser Wilhelm at the maneuvers of the Swiss 3rd Army Corps, 3-6 September, 1912.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for a Swiss company. They are nice people but unique shall we say.

I quite enjoyed this, from an outsider on the inside sort of view:

Personally, and as an Englishman I can relate to it, I think he produced his best bon mote when he described Switzerland as "a landlocked island".

More than a few Swiss have remarked upon the book that he got his descriptions of the Swiss character pretty spot-on.

"Yeah, we are all like that. I'm an exception..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nick,

I had an eye-opener yesterday, one of the moments where you smile a lot and nod.

We were talking about interaction with the police in the US. I mentioned that even if we know we did something wrong when we get pulled over we usually ask, "Is there a problem officer?" or "What's the problem officer?"

My Swiss friend told me--"Oh no, we don't do it like that. If I get pulled over I tell the policeman what I was doing wrong before he can tell me, so he doesn't think he's smarter than I am!"

Inside I laughed and laughed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

My current favourite is that the Swiss think that Swiss Nazi Gold is just a radio station.

I wouldn't ever tell that to a Swiss, mind you. At least not to his face. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.