Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused about Exploration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit buzzed by exploration. How precisely is it resolved?

Are the results must-have or if I didn't get what I like do I have the option to forfeit the others and choose to retry spending another action (in order to get the most favorable result)? If all three options are missed, I assume the quest doesn't end in failure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not required to accept a success. You may exert to re-roll or simply allow the quest to fail.

But if the quest fails, it is not discarded. You may attempt to complete it again on another turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the results you rolled, you may decide not to resolve the quest, and then try again (of course, spending one of your action slots again). Remember that you're allowed to Exert even when exploring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're resolving the quest, if you don't need more than one success, do you stop flipping skill cards (coming from your base stats) at first success, or do you always flip them all? It could save some discarded skills :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
When you're resolving the quest, if you don't need more than one success, do you stop flipping skill cards (coming from your base stats) at first success, or do you always flip them all? It could save some discarded skills

That's possibly a question about tests, not quests (saying to avoid confusion in other readers). And yes, all cards are revealed, regardless of scoring a success on the first one (Ref Guide, pag. 4, Attribute Tests, 1st point, the wording of the rules is pretty solid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant tests in general, sorry for the shortcut. Thanks for pointing me to the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that kind of...a bit too easy? I mean there's a penalty for defeating the enemy and failing attribute tests but it'd be strange if this could go on forever and face no penalty whatsoever.

It also doesn't go along the text quite a lot. I "stumble down something" etc...I would kind of like it more if it was the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Isn't that kind of...a bit too easy? I mean there's a penalty for defeating the enemy and failing attribute tests but it'd be strange if this could go on forever and face no penalty whatsoever.

Well, quest cards are more time-demanding than combat because combat is resolved on the moment you flip the gem, while quests require you to go somewhere else and spend at least one action trying to pass. Had the reroll option not been contemplated, instantly no one would bother attempting quests
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hope it's okay to add another related question: the wildcard works as all results even during quest rolls, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:
hope it's okay to add another related question: the wildcard works as all results even during quest rolls, right?

Yes, the Wild symbol can be used during exploration in the same way that you use it during movement (that is, to be a forest, hills, mountain, water, or plains)... However, if the symbol required to complete a quest's reward shows a Wild symbol, then you MUST roll a Wild to achieve that particular result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:

The penalty is that by trying again you have wasted the previous action in the attempts. I have seen people spending 2 actions and exerting all cards to get a particular result and still leave with nothing.

So sure, if you don't mind spending as many actions as it takes, if time allows you can be pretty certain to get the result you want. But time is precious in this game, so ultimately you might be better to settle for one of the lesser results on a first attempt.

Some people already feel the quests are too difficult or time consuming for the reward they offer. I'm inclined to disagree, but if they had to be resolved on the first attempt I would definitely be inclined to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
tilde72 wrote:

Yes, the Wild symbol can be used during exploration in the same way that you use it during movement (that is, to be a forest, hills, mountain, water, or plains)... However, if the symbol required to complete a quest's reward shows a Wild symbol, then you MUST roll a Wild to achieve that particular result.

Does that sentence really require a "However" in any context? Why is it however if it's quite naturally assumed?

Is there any circumstance in which a Plains can be used for a Wild?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Does that sentence really require a "However" in any context? Why is it however if it's quite naturally assumed?

Is there any circumstance in which a Plains can be used for a Wild?

As the original question was unclear, I made sure to be specific about the answers to both potential questions.

The first question being, "Are rolled wilds always wild?" and the second being "Can I use any rolled symbol to match a wild in a quest requirement"?

The answers are "Yes" and "No", respectively.

I don't believe there is any value in "naturally assuming" things that are easily explained anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else to bear in mind about Wild dice. They don`t let you choose your terrain. A wild represents every terrain type. So in quests where you are penalized for being in a particular terrain, if you roll that terrain or a wild, you`re penalized because the Wild die represents all terrains at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mikecl wrote:
Something else to bear in mind about Wild dice. They don`t let you choose your terrain. A wild represents every terrain type. So in quests where you are penalized for being in a particular terrain, if you roll that terrain or a wild, you`re penalized because the Wild die represents all terrains at once.

Are you thinking of a particular example here? I cannot think of any relevant scenario or quest where rolling a wild is bad, or where the roll of a terrain die has any bearing on what terrain you are 'in'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I am. There's a quest where if you roll plains, you don't fulfil the quest and you take damage. In this particular scenario, rolling a wild is just as punishing as rolling a plains because they're the same. I'm at work, don't have the game in front of me and can't remember what it's called, but it's a thing 'cause it happened to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

Yes, I am. There's a quest where if you roll plains, you don't fulfil the quest and you take damage. In this particular scenario, rolling a wild is just as punishing as rolling a plains because they're the same. I'm at work, don't have the game in front of me and can't remember what it's called, but it's a thing 'cause it happened to me!

Just one observation: the card you're referring to is not a quest; it's a story card (possibly from the Margath's scenario, can't check right now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
mikecl wrote:

Just one observation: the card you're referring to is not a quest; it's a story card (possibly from the Margath's scenario, can't check right now)

You're closer to the game than I am, and like you, I can't check either but you're probably right. Whether quest or story, the effect is the same, which is a penalty for rolling a Wild. Thanks Scarlet Witch. Love the game btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
mikecl wrote:

You're closer to the game than I am, and like you, I can't check either but you're probably right. Whether quest or story, the effect is the same, which is a penalty for rolling a Wild. Thanks Scarlet Witch. Love the game btw.

Just to make it clear: I agree the wild in this particular situation is detrimental
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its in the rules ref,p13. Under terrain dice, last bullet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mikecl wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
mikecl wrote:

Are you thinking of a particular example here? I cannot think of any relevant scenario or quest where rolling a wild is bad, or where the roll of a terrain die has any bearing on what terrain you are 'in'.

Ahhh - you mean Cult Town, and you're right, in that case rolling a wild will mean you take 2 damage and keep rolling.

You still not 'in' the terrain you roll though - since you you're still in the terrain matching your hex (in this case a village). I think this is what confused me. But I see what you meant now.

As an aside, I'm not sure I like that card very much. You're supposed to be undertaking some initiation but since it appears unrelated to the heroes exploration or movement ability, goodness knows what relevance the Plains symbol has, if any. It just seems arbitrarily random, representing some underlying random event which is never described. The only way to mitigate it is to exert and reroll the die.

It also doesn't specify what to do if the hero is defeated, presumably stop rolling and you can take your next action to rest, then still complete the quest on your next action. Or keep rolling until you inevitably roll the right symbol, but the end result is the same - defeated hero in the hex. I guess it doesn't matter too much; once you have failed a couple of times you're likely to rest while in the village anyway so it's still only going to cost you 1 action no matter how much more damage you take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Ahhh - you mean Cult Town

Yep! Thats the one alright. The reason I mention it is because it's that particular story card that taught me the right way of looking at a Wild result on the terrain dice.

Previous to that, I was interpreting the Wild to mean choose whatever terrain you want, but when I went back and read the rule (just referenced here by Steve C), I realized that's not how a Wild roll works. Instead, it represents ALL terrain types so I thought I'd mention it here while we were talking about this stuff because, at least for me, it was a small easily-missed rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.