Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: Big loss waste of time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys I cancel this subject because misunderstood.
NP: I love to play it even after a bad start 0-7 to 9 VPs.
You can find the text in some following quotes anyway.

Enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I fight to the last man and I expect of my subordinates to do the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
I fight to the last man and I expect of my subordinates to do the same!

So you never heard about what they learn in officer's school as "THE DUTY TO DISOBEY!" A rare but important notion ...

I think this was missing at Azincourt, Eylau, Picket's Charge, Hamburger Hill and so many others ... Those were "beautifull charges" only for a retired geek reading an historical nationalist book in his living room but not on the field. And I know.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the Guillaume who used to post youtube videos of Hussar and cuirrasier charges? Who is this impostor who talks of "running away"?

La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!

Vive l'Empereur!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
Hello,

Sometimes it happens that we loose quickly from the very start (like 1-6 for 9 points to win). I mean it can be (surely) our own fault and a part of unlucky cards or dice or whatever, the point is:

In those situation you may sometimes feel that some little solution are still possible and keep on trying. But sometimes you may judge that there is no way to win and that the only result to continue will be more stupid casualities on both side and still a loss. In this last situation, a good officer will NOT keep on sacrifice young lives on the field (and save troops for the futur battles)! He would better choose some ORDERED RETREAT (I didn't say "surrender" I said "ordered retreat"). We have many exemple of this in history where some general officers did it because they were CLEVER and HUMANS and not "cowards" or "chickens" like may judge some stupid "historians" (Ulm etc.). But while playing CCN with a partner, we allways refuse to order a "general retreat" (proposing to stop the battle and give the victory to the opponent) because we feel it may look like "bad spirit" or take away the pleasure of your opponent to "finish" you! But it exist in some games (like chess) where it's not a shame because it's just IN THE RULES!

To be clear:

1) I don't speak about any new rule here (lol) but just a new "etiquette"!
So to respect history, to save time, play sooner the next battles and avoid boring and stupid end of battles it may be a common "etiquette" to propose a "GR": "General Retreat" to your opponent meaning: "Congratulation! You win it! I order a general retreat and leave you the battlefield!".

2) I didn't say it would be very often and be sure in many occasion at 1-6 I still fight and search for a solution. I was speaking of some cases.

GG

You make an interesting point, GG.

To my mind it depends entirely upon your playing partner and the game you are playing.

For example, if I'm playing a 'strategic' or 'higher operational' level WWII game as the Axis, had the initiative and given my opponent a bloody nose for most of the game, I won't then call an end to the game if he remained undefeated and it is perhaps his turn to play the attacker and have the 'fun'.

That said, my little gaming group (me, my wife and an old school friend) don't mind if a game is 'declared' before the end. Usually the probable outcome is discussed and if we feel there is little chance to change that outcome, we'll agree to finish.

Obviously, if we're still learning the rules to a particular game, then there is value in playing to the 'bitter end', regardless of result.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Where is the Guillaume who used to post youtube videos of Hussar and cuirrasier charges? Who is this impostor who talks of "running away"?

Vive l'Empereur!

OK Kris you get a point

But you see what I mean? Players comfort! Like in chess: I drop the king, you won, let's play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
Tegarend wrote:

Vive l'Empereur!

OK Kris you get a point

But you see what I mean? Players comfort! Like in chess: I drop the king, you won, let's play it again!

Of course I understand! Occasionally we will stop a game when the obvious loser has had enough (when my wife thinks she has humoured me enough or when I decide I don't even have a small chance to win left) ... but I also love to post here in character

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In these situations when I play, the person losing big can just propose to end the game. Of course, it should be pretty hopeless at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, then you will miss out on the chance for the 1-5 comeback to win 7-5 (I've been on both ends of that, a couple of times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomek
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surrendering or "retreating" takes the fun out of the game and the empathy feeling. Command and Colors is not chess - it is a game that I presume warfare simulation. For me - I prefer to play one game wholeheartedly than several quick draw-matching contests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TomekBG wrote:
Surrendering or "retreating" takes the fun out of the game and the empathy feeling. Command and Colors is not chess - it is a game that I presume warfare simulation. For me - I prefer to play one game wholeheartedly than several quick draw-matching contests.

I must admit, I have during certain games withdrawn towards my baseline & defensive terrain ... that's the whole extent! I even don't retreat leaders off the map when allowed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomek
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I must admit, I have during certain games withdrawn towards my baseline & defensive terrain ...

Of course - tactical retreats are part of the battle/game. I was speaking about the attitude - I lost these few flags and since it is more probable to lose than win, I prefer to quit. These are your soldiers there even made of wood - you can't just give up. OK you can, but lets not make it part of the etiquette. Next thing soldiers will start shooting unattached officers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about C&C games in general is that with a little bit of luck, the game can change very quickly. There have been many instances in which I've managed to turn a 1-6 loss into a 7-6 win.

The game is only truly over when your opponent breaks YOUR morale and you admit defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.