Hot Lava Birth
NONE

Top Ten Trends
NO CHANGE

Top 5 Winning Movers
7 Wonders: Duel
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Blood Rage (third week!)
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization (third week!)
Eldritch Horror

New Highest Peaks
7 Wonders: Duel #15
Blood Rage #22
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization #23
The Voyages of Marco Polo #41
Patchwork #43
T.I.M.E Stories #47
Orleans #58
Viticulture #79
Arcadia Quest #91
La Granja #94

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

A weird wind blowing through the top 100 this week. Lots of little changes but nothing really big. Like why would Eldritch go up three?

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any guesses to TTA2's final placement? Im getting rank 2 ultimately, maybe 3.

I guess DoW is getting a boost from that expansion. I find AQ's slow climb very interesting as I recall it being in the 200s ish I think when I got it. Im guessing Dice Tower has a lot to do with it.

Still curious how far Blood Rage and 7WD will go. Top 10 or Top 20? Thoughts? I expect duel to reach 9 or so, and BR to reach 13 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not #1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.
I find it a bit weird (without having played them) that some of these games are moving up so fast.

Blood Rage #22

really? just wow...

T.I.M.E Stories #47 a couple of the reviews i saw could be called "mixed" at best...

I think Patchwork is the only game of these new big movers that i've played.
It's fine. very "playable"... very accessible, nothing in it that could offend or turn people off (super family friendyl pasted on theme).
I also didn't find it too interesting after a couple of plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Wow.
I find it a bit weird (without having played them) that some of these games are moving up so fast.

Blood Rage #22

really? just wow...

T.I.M.E Stories #47 a couple of the reviews i saw could be called "mixed" at best...

It's fine. very "playable"... very accessible, nothing in it that could offend or turn people off (super family friendyl pasted on theme).

I'm somewhat astounded as well. Patchwork and 7 Wonders Duel are both fine games, but in my opinion far too lightweight to have any business moving around the BGG top 50, let alone the top 15.

Haven't played Blood Rage or Time Stories yet.

As for Through The Ages 2, beating Pandemic Legacy and Twilight Struggle is gonna prove very difficult for one reason and that is number of votes. Even the first edition, which has been a top game for a decade hasn't really gotten all that many votes to show for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:

I'm somewhat astounded as well. Patchwork and 7 Wonders Duel are both fine games, but in my opinion far too lightweight to have any business moving around the BGG top 50, let alone the top 15.

Perhaps because they are both good 2 player games, that are actually designed for 2 players rather than just being possible to play with 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this might reveal a direction In which the hobby is growing with a greater appreciation for games and designs that can fit in our busy lives and not only for hardcore hobbyists like us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I wonder if this might reveal a direction In which the hobby is growing with a greater appreciation for games and designs that can fit in our busy lives and not only for hardcore hobbyists like us.

Perhaps due to the "hobby" and player base expanding?
The more "hard core" agmers migth still be just as many as before (or maybe more) but they seem to be a smaller portion of the overall player base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

Lightweight games do seem to be doing better in the BGG rankings than they used to, with Pandemic Legacy being #1 and Codenames and 7 Wonders Duel being top 20.

On the other hand, those could just be outliers. The rankings overall are still dominated by fairly involved games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
please can somebody do an analysis of average game weight in the top 10 or top 20, comparing the top games of now with those of 2/5/10 years ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps having lightweight games on the top 15 is indicative of the world we live in. Heavier games take longer to play, it's not easy with work / family etc to FIND the time necessary to do justice to a game. I often find myself playing a game that I know won't be longer than 45 mins, thus buying a game that fits into this timeplay. I wonder how many people do the same ?! Could this be the reason that there are more and more lightweight games in the top 50 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
Wow.

Blood Rage #22

really? just wow...

Haven't played Blood Rage or Time Stories yet.

As for Through The Ages 2, beating Pandemic Legacy and Twilight Struggle is gonna prove very difficult for one reason and that is number of votes. Even the first edition, which has been a top game for a decade hasn't really gotten all that many votes to show for it.

Regarding Patchwork: it just seems so random to me. If this is top 50 worthy, so should a whole bunch of other 2 player or lighter games be.
Jaipur? Biblios? Are Patchwork and 7W really so much better than a Carcassonne (similar light weight mass appeal) or so many other games?

i doubt it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it says a lot about the designers' influence over a game's rankings. If an unknown designer had created Patchwork, do you think it would be rated so highly? I don't; at best it would have taken it a lot longer to get that kind of respect (see Jaipur and Biblios). Same with 7Wuel.

The ranking list that resonated more with my tastes is the Strategy Game rankings, where TtA2 is already ranked #6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen K
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
I think it says a lot about the designers' influence over a game's rankings. If an unknown designer had created Patchwork, do you think it would be rated so highly? I don't; at best it would have taken it a lot longer to get that kind of respect (see Jaipur and Biblios). Same with 7Wuel.

The ranking list that resonated more with my tastes is the Strategy Game rankings, where TtA2 is already ranked #6.

If Patchworks rating would be just a designer thing I would expect to get a lot of high votes in the beginning and then a steady decrease in average. It was quite the opposite. The average started at 7.49 and rised almost steadily to 7.87 now. It was also quite a slow riser. It wasn´t even in Top 500 one year ago. Check out here : https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/179775/essen-2014-ran...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
jmsr525 wrote:
It's Codenames meets Dixit.

Was this born out of whole cloth for the absurdity value (which I appreciate each week) or has this actually been tried: replacing the word cards in Codenames with the picture cards in Dixit.

Because I want to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Perhaps due to the "hobby" and player base expanding?
The more "hard core" agmers migth still be just as many as before (or maybe more) but they seem to be a smaller portion of the overall player base.

This would be my take on it as well. More players, less market share playing the beefy stuff. The list is devolving into fluff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudde wrote:
thedacker wrote:

If Patchworks rating would be just a designer thing I would expect to get a lot of high votes in the beginning and then a steady decrease in average. It was quite the opposite. The average started at 7.49 and rised almost steadily to 7.87 now. It was also quite a slow riser. It wasn´t even in Top 500 one year ago. Check out here : https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/179775/essen-2014-ran...

Not necessarilly. There seem to have been distribution issues in the US. It seems to have only been readily available there as of January 2015 or so (according to some discussions in the subforum).
It was rank 200 then and 100 just a month later. (i migth have misread or misinterpreted some of the data though, not sure).
A starting average of 7.49 seems high either way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pleased to see La Granja get a slightly tighter hold on a top 100 spot.

I'm not too bothered by all the new games climbing quickly. And I certainly don't mind their weight - there are plenty of games in the top 50 (and especially 100) that can be considered light. If people enjoy them, rank them highly. It's that simple.

Thanks as always for putting this together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hampus Ram
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This whining about "lightweight" games is such nonsense. The BGG Top 100 isn't "hardcore gamer's Top 100" nor is it all games sorted by game weight. It most definitely isn't "User X's Top 100" (where X is you). It is a top 100 list for an imaginary "average" BGG user and apparently (and not suprisingly) that user is a more lightweight player than before.

My thoughts in general:
Not only are more users "casual gamers" due to the increase in popularity of boardgames (as others have pointed out), I also think that the mindset today differs from that only a few years past. I think that more people are inclined to "vote" on stuff quicker today, where once only those that really, really wanted to express their opinion did so. Games that rise up quickly aren't bad games, I would claim that games that are on the top 100 are in one way or another exceptional games. You will most probably find some games you really enjoy on the list. However, you should not get confused and think that you will think they are all great...

With that said, I think it is a bit strange that Eldritch Horror and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game climbs still being such old games and competing with a lot of new fast risers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Why not #1?

I dont think TTA2 will over come Pandemic Legacy because of what a huge gap it has and how Pandemic appeals more widely to people. Both are revised ish editions so they gain from the bias of that, but BGG favors games with higher vote counts. The more the vote the closer the Geek and Average Rating will be. I think Pandemic Legacy will have such a huge gap in votes that even if TTA2's rating is above, its geekrating wont be. And evenually, TTA2's votes will stall since its harder to get into, whereas Pandemic Legacy will stay with better growth comparatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the top of of DOW and EH, I think DoW is because of its upcoming expansion. Idk for EH, maybe thematic games have longer staying power/easier to hype people into in spurts?

For 7WD, I agree designer spotlight is one plus. 7WD esp gets aid for being a continuation game of 7W of sorts, so people who played one will want to try the other usually. That helps with getting a lot of votes. Same with Patchwork and Uwe fans wanting to try it so it gets a lot of votes.

I think the strength of Twilight Struggle at #1 for so many years too shows that 2p games can do really consistently well, and I once read an article on it. In, say, a 4p game, you may only win 25% of the time, but in a two player, youll win 50% of the time, and theres more time directly playing since its only one other person taking turns. Then theres the fact both play fairly fast and are unoffensive and generally solid. So few people give them bad 4s and 5s. Personally Im not surprised at either making it that high and actually expected 7WD to come close to the top 10 because it seems similar to Twilight Struggle and CoB with its 2p emphasis as a couples game. Patchwork was a minor surprise but not hugely. I find it similar to how Splendor got so high on its mechanics and simplicity and components and such.

Lastly, agree that shift toward faster games may indeed be nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hampus Ram
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
For 7WD, I agree designer spotlight is one plus. 7WD esp gets aid for being a continuation game of 7W of sorts, so people who played one will want to try the other usually. That helps with getting a lot of votes. Same with Patchwork and Uwe fans wanting to try it so it gets a lot of votes.

Not only do they benefit from many players wanting to try them out, but those that feel that way probably are those that will rate it highly. Most people who gave 7W and (other) Uwe-games low ratings probably will stay clear of 7WD and Patchwork rather than play them and rate them low.

(and people giving games low ratings without playing them are the worst kind of people)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Wow.

Blood Rage #22

really? just wow...

I'm with you here.

I thought 7WD was fine, but nothing special. More plays may improve my opinion but so far it's just a light cute game one step above filler.

Blood Rage is better, a strange Euro Ameritrash hybrid with some cool theme flavor and great minis. I liked playing it but I didn't see it as top 100 material. Then again, I've only played it once. And it DOES have some unique combo features that make it interesting.

Patchwork bored me. Clever but why bother?

Haven't played TIME Stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.