Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

For the next game we will try these additional rules:

1. When a defending surrounded ground force takes losses the defending player cannot chose to voluntarily eliminate a unit unless all units are already at step size one.

This is to deal with the issue with not taking paris on a 6 found here.

2. In the air portion of a naval combat, CV units that take a return to base result (S, L or B), may stay and fight the surface combat round but with its naval factors halved.

This is to avoid the issue of CVs sometimes being more vulnerable to return to base results than BBs, as for example in this post.

What do you guys think? What optional/house rules do you recommend in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey Bjorne,

Thanks for the post. Just wanted to offer my design remarks.

Bjorne wrote:
Hi,
1. When a defending surrounded ground force takes losses the defending player cannot chose to voluntarily eliminate a unit unless all units are already at step size one.

This is to deal with the issue with not taking paris on a 6 found here.

The "issue" is if Germany takes Vichy France first, then the French units have nowhere to retreat to and are slightly more likely to dig in and hang onto Paris. As designer, to me this makes historical sense. The unusual peace brokered was available only because France was allowed to retain some sense of independence (or at least thought it was, c. 1940); had Germany in fact gone for an all-out conquest of all of France, I believe French resistance would have stiffened considerably.

More to the point, as a player, the solution is simple: don't take Vichy France, even if it is offered for free. Controlling it is not a useful help as far as taking Paris is concerned (and defending it later on requires more effort than if left neutral).

Bjorne wrote:
2. In the air portion of a naval combat, CV units that take a return to base result (S, L or B), may stay and fight the surface combat round but with its naval factors halved.

This is to avoid the issue of CVs sometimes being more vulnerable to return to base results than BBs, as for example in this post.

What do you guys think? What optional/house rules do you recommend in your games?

This is a reasonable idea. About half of a CV's Naval Factors derive from its aircraft, and about half from its surface gunnery ~ as a general rule (there are individual units that are exceptions of course). I'd love to hear how it affects the game.

Bjorne, if you want, I'll let you know which specific CV units ought to be allowed to do this. Some Blitz CVs are in fact composed (or almost entirely composed) of aircraft carriers. But others are not, and this rule could very sensibly apply to them.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:

More to the point, as a player, the solution is simple: don't take Vichy France, even if it is offered for free. Controlling it is not a useful help as far as taking Paris is concerned (and defending it later on requires more effort than if left neutral).

It does help turn off the British Commonwealth victory condition if you can do it on turn 1. Besides, it is not only Paris I am concerned about. Feels like if you are surrounded, the extra damages from the letter results should always hurt. Others are houseruling that B=all die, this is sort of a compromise that also takes S and L into consideration.

DaveLeLacheur wrote:

Bjorne, if you want, I'll let you know which specific CV units ought to be allowed to do this. Some Blitz CVs are in fact composed (or almost entirely composed) of aircraft carriers. But others are not, and this rule could very sensibly apply to them.

Thanks that sounds like a cool optional rule, I'll try my simpler one first and then I'll get back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.