GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,669 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Walker's workbench rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is now a centralized hub for all my custom decks.

Sentinels of the MLPverse
Heroes:

Applejack!
(in development)
Twilight Sparkle! (complete!)

Villains:
Discord!
(complete!)
Nightmare Moon! (in development)

Environments:
The Everfree Forest!
(complete!)
Our Town! (complete!)

Sentinel Card Plays
Heroes:

Mister Redd!
(in development)

Villains:
Dr. Wondertainment!
(completed? no card art)

Environments:

Original content
Heroes:

Captain Coward, The Man Who Can Do Anything!
(in development)
Lily Black, The Littlest Necromancer! (Lost Girls; in development)
Masked Warrior Irou! (Kamen Rider homage; in development)
Mega Man! (in development)
Jenny Sparklemuffin, Princess of Fairyland! (Lost Girls; completed; bad card art, no flavor text)
Packrat! (Lost Girls; in development)
Fawna, The Marketable Superpet! (posted on another's behalf; in development)

Villains:
Dr. Wily!
(in development)

Environments:
And the Band Played On!
(below! in development)
The Brimstone Club! (in development)

Promos:
The Visionary: Dreamer Awakened
(Hero conversion, Visionary variant)

The first time young Vanessa Long's powers overtook her, it was a future version of herself from another timeline who helped her calm down and wake up from the living nightmare. The second time, it was a group of three troubled girls. Now Vanessa has joined up with them, using her admittedly unstable psychic powers to help in their quest to stop evil.

---

Lastly, I will actually post a deck for an environment -- something else I literally dreamed up.

Environment: And the Band Played On

The SS Chersky was commissioned to take the Royal Arkhangelsk Orcehestra to London for an exhibition. It never made it. No one is really sure what happened to the liner, only that no hands made it out alive. Perhaps the strange circumstances of its sinking have something to do with why the orchestra, dead for nearly a century, has begun to play once again. With the wreck bobbing perilously in deep sub-Arctic waters, the heroes will have to tread carefully as they investigate...

Virtuosa Helena (Soloist, 8 HP)
When this card enters play, set Virtuoso Ivanka's HP to max. At the end of the environment turn, play the top card of the environment deck.

Virtuosa Ivanka (Soloist, 8 HP)
When this card enters play, set Virtuoso Helena's HP to max. At the start of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.

(The two soloists are supposed to be in love. That's why they heal each other.)

(2x) Undead Strings (Orchestra Section, 5 HP)
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the (H) non-environment targets with the highest HP 1 sonic damage each.

Undead Percussion (Orchestra Section, 6 HP)
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero with the highest HP 2 melee damage.

Undead Woodwinds (Orchestra Section, 4 HP)
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the non-environment target with the least HP 1 cold damage.

Undead Brass (Orchestra Section, 5 HP)
At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero with the most cards in play 1 sonic and 1 projectile damage.

Leonid Pishkin (Undead Conductor, 12 HP)
Whenever an Orchestra Section or Soloist deals damage, increase that damage by 1 and this card deals the source of that damage 1 psychic damage.

(Wording changed thanks to P. D. Magnus.)

Pizzicato (Movement)
When this card enters play, destroy any other Movement cards in play. At the start of the environment turn, each Undead Soloist and Undead Strings card deals each non-environment target 1 sonic damage.

Crescendo (Movement)
When this card enters play, destroy any other Movement cards in play. At the start of the environment turn, each Orchestra Section deals each non-environment target 1 cold damage.

Solo (Movement)
When this card enters play, destroy any other Movement cards in play. At the start of the environment turn, each Undead Soloist regains 1 HP. At the end of the environment turn, each Undead Soloist deals the target with the second-highest HP 1 sonic and 1 cold damage.

Diminuendo (Movement)
When this card enters play, destroy any other Movement cards in play. Reduce all damage dealt to Orchestra Section and Undead Soloist cards by 1.

Capsize
All heroes must destroy 1 card or discard 2 cards. Then destroy this card.

Air Pocket
Increase all HP recovery by 1. At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Waters Rise
Increase all cold damage by 1. Reduce all fire damage by 1. At the start of the environment turn, each hero may discard 1 card. If (H)-1 cards are discarded this way, destroy this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Looking for feedback on custom ideas
That's some interesting dreams, I mean deck ideas you got there Take.

Alright, I'll talk about the environment in another post, but first some comments on the other stuff.

Cpt Coward doesn't sound too hard to implement. As for your questions, the important thing to remember is that many card effects are indifferent to how many other cards you can have in play. For example, one of the major ones is damage reduction. A card should never give a Hero DR 2 or more without one of the following:

- It goes away the following turn.
- It has an upkeep price to keep it out.
- It severely penalizes the Hero in other ways.

It makes no difference if the Hero can put out one or several of these types of cards, 2 DR is quite strong for a Hero to have and having it at all should always follow these rules imo.

Now, decks can (and usually should) have some under par cards and some really strong cards, with the rest forming a core for his deck theme to run off. With the flavor of his deck being "everything is either one-shots or solitary ongoings", his strength will be versatility, but with the shortcoming of not having a "critical mass" he can achieve and possibly not having the most advantageous cards for the current situation.

I would look at both Guise and the Sentinels since there decks both run heavily off one-shots.

For the other guy, Tachyon's deck mechanic runs off of cards in the trash and Matthew Bishop's Baccarat deck from the Cauldron set actively plays his cards from the trash and I believe he was one of the harder ones to balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, so we've got ourselves a phantom orchestra here. At first glance it doesn't appear to have any glaring flaws (actually, Pishkin's effect is worded just fine). Remember that while many Environments don't support their own cards at all, instead relying on the individual strength of each card, the ones that do run off a "greater as a whole" idea aren't really all that different. Instead of 15 100% cards, they have 9 100% cards and 6 cards that run at 60%, but boost the other 9 to 120%. Also remember that Environments come in varying degrees of difficulty. Some, like Mobile Defense Platform and Time Cataclysm, barely impede the Heroes and often help them. Others, like Pike Industrial and Rook City, will rake you across the coals.

The only card that is helpful to the Heroes in this deck is Air Pocket, giving the Heroes a chance to "catch their breath" on the turn it plays. Yes it may help the Villain, but at least nothing else is coming out right?

One fact that will help mitigate it's hostility is the Movement cards. There are four of them in the deck, they do nothing if one of the band members aren't out and they destroy each other. Counting Air Pocket, that means it's possible to have 5 sequential Environment turns where nothing happens. That is of course, unless things change.

As it is, I like the idea of the deck and there are many different ways you could take it. It all depends on how mean you want it to be and how tight vs loose and random you want it. I have several ideas myself on how it could evolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Captain Coward sounds pretty cool.

Do you want to take abilities from existing cards, or pull a Time Cataclysm-esque approach where you would take a card copying their power but not exactly like their deck does?

I really like the idea, and the challenge of making very different effects find ways to work together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt. Coward

He takes on the last power used by his team members.
The person he takes the power from cannot use any powers until Coward switches.

If only equipment is used by his team members Coward retains the last power used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
Captain Coward sounds pretty cool.

Do you want to take abilities from existing cards, or pull a Time Cataclysm-esque approach where you would take a card copying their power but not exactly like their deck does?

I really like the idea, and the challenge of making very different effects find ways to work together.

One of the ongoings I have written up allows him to use any power text currently in play during his power phase, but mimicking other heroes is only part of what he does. In actuality, I wanted him to a have a lot of ongoing effects that mimic other heroes' one-shots, and one-shots that mimic their ongoings.

Should I just post the list? Like I said, I'm not totally confident about what I came up with so far, plus it's huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to his own thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post removed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Evanescent Obfuscation (Ongoing, Form): When this card comes into play, destroy any other Form cards in play. At the end of your turn, select a deck. That deck cannot play cards until the start of your next turn. If you do not select a different deck on your next turn, destroy this card.

I'd consider this card more than a little broken.
Given you can switch between Villain and Environment decks it's basically giving the heroes two turns for every one villain and environment turn.
Either have it for a turn only or switch between a hero deck and either villain or environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, yeah, whoof. Might be a better idea to make that a One-Shot instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:

Leonid Pishkin (Undead Conductor, 12 HP)
Increase all damage dealt by Orchestra Sections and Soloists by 1. Whenever an Orchestra Section or Soloist deals damage, this card deals that target 1 psychic damage.

(This is worded really poorly: the idea is he's pushing the orchestra really hard, so he's dealing environment targets damage, not adding damage to whoever they're pounding on.)

Maybe: Whenever an Orchestra Section or Soloist deals damage, increase the damage by 1 and this card deals the source of that damage 1 psychic damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels a little roundabout, but it does definitely make sense. I'll put it in and see what happens, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got another dreamed-up environment deck. Just wrote it up today, so it's got more story than playability, no doubt. First time experimenting with non-villain nemeses, too. Hope it strikes the right chord.

Environment: The Brimstone Club

The Brimstone Club is the premiere watering hole for all of Rook City's lowlife scum. From back-alley deals to powerful shifts in underworld power, you can bet the members of the Brimstone Club are involved one way or another. Notoriously exclusive, they always have a seat open for anyone powerful and willing to further the goals of organized crime. Of course, the members will gladly turn their backs on a would-be villain whose minions get too rowdy; etiquette exists for a reason. It doesn't help that Dark Watch knocks the doors in every once in a while.

(3) Club Security (Bodyguard, * HP): Reduce damage dealt to Club Members by 1. At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero target with the highest HP 1 projectile damage. * = (H)

It's possible to give the targets in this environment +3 damage soak, so I left the DR off the bodyguards themselves and gave them low HP. They're good at what they do, but they're still mooks.

Shadowy VIP (Club Member, The Harpy Nemesis, 6 HP): Whenever this card would be dealt damage, redirect it to the environment target with the highest HP. At the start of the environment turn, this card deals each non-environment target 1 infernal damage.

No one knows who he -- or she -- might be, but whoever they are, they've definitely got a hand in everything that goes on in the club. One word from them, and everyone jumps. (The infernal damage represents the weaving of many webs of influence, and also makes one wonder if maybe the "Brimstone" part of the club's name isn't literal.)

Mandrill McElroy (Club Member, Mr. Fixer Nemesis, 14 HP): At the start of the environment turn, this card deals the hero target with the highest HP (H)-1 melee damage.

When the Chairman's out of reach, criminals turn to Mandrill McElroy, a tough thug-turned-minor-crime-boss known for his flamboyant face paint. Those bodyguards? His men. He's not afraid to get into a scrap himself, though. (He'll most likely be the one taking the fall for the Shadowy VIP, if he's in play. Good thing he has a thick skull.)

Paulie "The Python" Prizzi (Club Member, Nightmist Nemesis, 4 HP): At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the hero target with the lowest HP (H)-2 toxic damage.

Though he's done his time for poisoning the wrong people, he's not above dropping some arsenic in the drink of anyone looking overly heroic.

Ms. Vanessa Fine (Club Member, Expatriette Nemesis, 5 HP): THe first time each turn a target deals a Club Member damage, this card deals that target 1 irreducible melee damage. At the start of the environment turn, play the top card of the environment deck.

Though she's primarily here to entertain the other club members, she's not afraid to stab someone in the back if they deserve it. With her smoky voice, she's able to keep the wheels of the Brimstone Club turning.

Teddy Two-Fists (Club Member, Setback Nemesis, 7 HP): At the end of the environment turn, this card deals the non-environment target with the second-highest HP 2 melee damage. Then this card deals the non-environment target with the second-highest HP 2 melee damage.

Two is about as high as he can count, but that's okay, since Mandrill keeps him around more for his muscle than his mind.

What's the Password?: Environment targets and the villain target with the highest HP are immune to damage. One hero may skip their turn to destroy this card.

This card brings the villain (most likely, though it's entirely possible you'll get a mental image of a put-upon waiter asking if Monsieur Arachnoid would like another martini) into the Brimstone's fold while simultaneously locking the heroes out. The password's not impossible to guess, but it'll also take some thinking if no one's got a grappling hook available.

(2) Kicking Over Tables: When this card enters play, put all Bodyguards from the environment trash into play. Increase damage dealt by Bodyguards by 1. At the start of the environment turn, each Bodyguard deals the two non-environment targets with the lowest HP 2 melee damage each. If damage was dealt this way, destroy this card.

This card, the bodyguards and Mandrill were the three that came to me with the idea. Sometimes, the heroes get rough enough that you have to upset the club's delicate atmosphere lest they make a worse mess of things.

Kindly Behave Yourselves: Whenever the environment would deal damage to a hero target, redirect that damage to the villain target with the lowest HP. At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card.

This is more or less the reverse of "What's the Password?" It only lasts a round, but the heroes will like seeing this card. It'll likely only dispatch a minion or two -- who else would be causing the ruckus? -- but that at least takes off the environmental heat.

Speakeasy: At the start of the environment turn, each environment target regains 1 HP.

It'll make the environment targets even longer-lived, but you gotta have a speakeasy. You don't think Rook City's a dry town, do you? No, I don't know what time period this is supposed to be in.

Close Quarters: Close Quarters: Change the type of all damage to melee. Reduce damage dealt by non-environment targets by 1. At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Inspired by, but in many ways the opposite of, Cramped Quarters Combat from Megalopolis. Fighting in a crowded club can be difficult!

Membership Pin (Relic): When a Club Member card is destroyed, one player may place this card in their play area. Their hero gains the following Power. Targets in the same play area as this card are considered environment cards for environment effects. Power: Destroy 1 environment card.

Modelled off Tomb of Anubis's Treasure cards. Gives one hero the ability to blend in and deal with some of the club's nastier cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog, 4/25/16
- Happened to be looking at this thread and made some tweaks to the Brimstone Club, starting with a buff to Mandrill's HP.
- Ms. Vanessa Fine is now a reactive damage-dealer.
- Tommy Two-Fists now stands out!
- Kicking Over Tables is much nastier now. It pulls Bodyguards into play if there aren't any, and then the fun begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendal Reed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
A suggestion for Captain Coward, based on your session notes: what if his Forms all had "at the start of your turn, discard two cards or destroy this card", like Mainstay's Human Shield?

That would ensure that he can't maintain any one ability indefinitely, and it'd drive home the overall theme- having him stick with one choice reduces the number of other options available.

(Now that I think of it, "Option" would be a decent replacement keyword for "Form"...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about CC today, and the best way I can come up with to incentivize switching forms is "You may destroy an Ongoing card to play a card" on pretty much all of his One-Shots. (If you have Splitting Headache in play, you could get up to three card plays in a turn, but that requires a lot of luck to make happen, even if I trade something out for another copy of it like I'm thinking I will.) He would need a lot more card draw to make that work, but I was considering adding draw to his innate power anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Normally I like TakeWalker's work (Lily Black especially!), but Captain Coward is a bit of a miss for me. From what I've read, the deck doesn't have a great deal of unity or theme to it - I understand he's copying traits from various heroes and villains but in gameplay he just... does a whole bunch of random things from turn to turn, and is sort of impossible to predict? The heroes mostly have some kind of consistent play style that may vary a bit from game to game, but CC doesn't seem to have much of a playstyle.

As an example, you mentioned for example that Supersonic Flight is his big damage dealer - comparable to say a Tactical Shotgun, Taiaha, Flak Cannon etc, but it is one card in a deck of 40, that has no filtering/searching ability and very limited draw, making you unlikely to get it (or indeed any specific card!). An Expat player knows she's gonna get some guns and ammo, Adept will always have some kind of buffs, Ra will burn everything to the ground and so on, but a CC player is really just rolling the dice.

As you mentioned, it also looks he'd have serious, serious card problems. By my math, he has 13 ongoings (which he can play with his power) and 9 oneshots that let him play another card in some fashion, so it is quite reasonable for him to put out 3 cards in a turn, which means by turn 3 he'd just be sitting about topdecking. When you play one of the one-shot's that lets you play another one-shot you will be sad as you can't use the ability, and your power is also kind of useless too. Not having options is not usually fun gameplay!

The base power also concerns me a bit, the Powers are often supposed to give you something to do when you haven't got anything cool out of your hand yet - a sort of consolation prize. In Captain Cowards case I can see a lot of turns when you would just do nothing with his power phase. Some of the Forms are quite strong (Draw Attention, Diamond Skin, Mind Control...) and are unlikely to be replaced, and only a 3 of his cards give him an alternate power.

Perhaps the power could be something like Play a form. If you already had a form in play, you may draw a card.

Minor nitpick - I like Splitting headache for it's own sake, but since every single other ongoing in the deck is a form which has to destroy other forms in play, I suspect it'll get played wrong a lot!

Anyway, like I said I like most of TakeWalker's work a lot, but this one seems like it needs some work to form a cohesive, fun deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My current thoughts on CC, other than changing a couple of his cards outright, are adding card draw to his base power to make up for those play 3 (or more!) card turns, and putting a rider on basically all of his one-shots that says "You may destroy an Ongoing to play a card", to incentivize switching up what he's doing. Much as I don't want him to just be "Guise, but different", he probably needs to be a different Guise, Guise meets Fixer, continually switching up what he's doing to meet the situation. His deck may actually require a lot more thought than I've put into it so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 7/20/16:
Captain Coward:
- Added card draw to the base power.
- Standardized wording.
- Updated: Diamond Skin, Nature Sense, I Can Talk to Fish?, Chilling Blow, Good Aim.
- Telekinetic Blast is now Telekinetic Slam.
- Holy Crap! Is now Divine Intervention.
- Future: Write up a completely new deck that's all one-shots and give him the "play a random card" power.
- Future: Give him his own thread.

I've apparently made some minor changes to CC while writing his deck out, so I've tried to update this to reflect those. He still needs a lot of testing, but the card draw rider made him immediately better. He plays a lot of cards, and the ability to replenish your hand is actually good incentive to change out Ongoings every round. A free card when you have no Ongoings in hand is little downside; however, cards with powers and Sincere Flattery may supercede Change Tactics for a few rounds at a time. A couple of his cards are either broken or useless, and I keep getting the same ones, so I can't even say for sure. One downside to having a large number of cards in a deck!

And the Band Played On:
- Undead Strings now hits (H) targets.
- Reduced HP of all targets except Leonid Pishkin.
- They are now Virtuosas.
- Standardized wording.
- Future: May want Movements to search the deck only when they enter play. Alternatively, if no Orchestra Sections/Soloists are in play, play the top card of the environment deck.
- Future: Ivanka (and Helena?) only plays the top card of the villain deck if the other Soloist is not in play.

Play-tested this today. It wasn't brutal (well, playing the villain deck certainly is), but it was certainly intense. Targets all over the place, hitting everything for little bits here and there. Undead Strings did reliable damage to the villain all game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog, 8/26/16
The Brimstone Club:
- Standardized card text. Fixed a typo.
- Club Security HP now scales with (H).
- Nemeses updated for Oblivaeon and shuffled around a bit.
- Mandrill's damage reduced slightly.
- Paulie's damage now scales with (H).
- Ms. Vanessa Fine now has a slightly more reasonable retaliation trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 10/19/16
The Brimstone Club:
- Changed Kicking Over Tables to be more effective and slightly less devastating.
- Shuffled nemeses again.
- Future: Drop a Speakeasy for something like Close Quarters Combat?

Having just tested this against Dark Watch themselves, I realized a few things, mostly that Harpy's got the same nemesis symbol as six other characters, so it makes sense for the VIP to go after 'tuncoats' at large. The setup now should be finalized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 10/20/16
The Brimstone Club:
- Kicking Over Tables changed, more like Experimental Mutagen.
- One copy of Speakeasy removed for Cramped Quarters.
- Membership Pin changed slightly to be more powerful.

I feel like this deck is just about done. When it is, I think I'll give it its own thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 1/3/17:
- New and improved front for Dreamer Awakened. Also made sure her entire power text was printed on the card.
- As it was pointed out to me that we know the names of all the band members from the Titanic, and there were only about seven of them, and they were all guys, And the Band Played On has a new, slightly less dream-logic but no less completely-made-up backstory. No actual changes to the cards, though, I think that deck's pretty well set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Discord's finally finished, which brings wave 1 of the MLP decks to a close. Stay tuned for wave 2, when I get down to a couple things I should have started with:

The Everfree Forest
Nightmare Moon
Applejack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.