29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Villains yes or no? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bahamut aaa
msg tools
Should i buy Villains? I like the idea to play with certain bad guys next to heroes like Loki in a team with Thor or to have Venom available as a playable character. I also like the possibility to fight with heroes against other heroes like the avengers adversaries.

I'm not that much interested to play as a villain against a hero commander though.

I know UD has allready implemented some bad guys as playable characters like Thanos, are they continuing this trend? So is it likely to get Loki in a normal Marvel Legendary expansion?

Also UP isn't making any villains expansions anymore right? And will the different terms they use in Villains be problematic?

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play as those characters, buy it.

If you want to play an Avengers VS X-Men game, buy it.

That's what it really comes down to. Also, you get New Recruits, a bigger box and a nice playmat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Villains not too long ago. I do enjoy playing the Heroes version better, but I sure do like having Sinister Six, Foes of Asgard, etc. to go against the Mastermind. Plus it is nice to have the other board (playmat) with Madam Hydra and Recruits instead of Officers and Sidekick sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Most of the characters that came in the villains are "meh" but some of them are pretty cool (like Bullesye)

The masterminds are fun, sidekicks actually help a lot of under powered heroes that have high recruit and few attack but most importantly - it is comes with more henchmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take advantage of this post ...

Thematically, does the gameplay of Villains feel more "mean" than the one of Marvel ? Or is it more or less equivalent ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jan111 wrote:
I'm not that much interested to play as a villain against a hero commander though.

Me too! It's the main reason why I haven't purchased Villains.

jan111 wrote:
I know UD has allready implemented some bad guys as playable characters like Thanos, are they continuing this trend?

My guess is they will only include playable villains in future expansions when it is thematically appropriate. Secret Wars was very thematically appropriate. The upcoming Captain America expansion has no playable villains, for example, unless you count the Winter Soldier, which I do not. Will the Civil War big box expansion? We don't know much about that expansion yet, so it's really hard to say.

jan111 wrote:
So is it likely to get Loki in a normal Marvel Legendary expansion?

No, that doesn't seem likely to me at all. They've already done Loki in Villains. While Upper Deck has done duplicate versions of some very popular heroes, I doubt we'll see another version of Loki as a playable hero. If you must have a playable Loki, I think you're going to have to get Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGorman
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
as someone who chases more replay ability and variety I say yes, its 550 cards for less than the base set with some very cool allies, some new plots and a different slant on things

however, if you dont like to play competitively or play a lot of solo, some of the heroes may disappoint as they are more about screwing others to get ahead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:

Thematically, does the gameplay of Villains feel more "mean" than the one of Marvel ? Or is it more or less equivalent ?

There is a lot more PvP style interaction between the players in the card effects in both Villains and Fear Itself.

And, for me, this is why I wish Upper Deck would continue with the Villains line.

I like the heroic game for it's predominantly cooperative game play. But sometimes I like to compete more with my fellow players. Having a separate, but entirely compatible, and more competitive, Villains line allows these two play styles, and a mix of both, to coexist within the Legendary system as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Xahendir wrote:

There is a lot more PvP style interaction between the players in the card effects in both Villains and Fear Itself.

Yes, I had understood that thanks to review.

I often play deckbuilders with a friend of mine who is almost "allergic" to mean themes. I guess I will have to ask him if he is interested by Villains or only by Marvel (which I know he is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say there's a lot of PvP style cards. Magneto and Loki are mean, and Bindings are way worse than Wounds. (Actually Loki is really fun, but in a mean way.) But unless I'm forgetting something, that's about it for the Villains set. Fear Itself adds a little more, but adds Thrown artifacts, which are amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Villains has some good features and some bad features.

Good

It's a great collection of bad guys with big name recognition and their opponents. You can play with guys like Magneto, Kraven, Bullseye and Enchantress against the Marvel Knights and X-Men while they're led by Dr. Strange.

The challenge is huge. Playing just Villains cards is probably the toughest way to play Legendary unless you insist on playing only against the really nasty Masterminds. Several opponents who are mere Adversaries (Villains' speak for Villains) are tougher than the Basic Set Masterminds (Wolverine is horrifying, and most Avengers are big enough to be Masterminds, too).

Bad

Quite a bit of the art is disappointing. I understood that with so much more art to take care of than the Basic Set (Villains was my second purchase) it couldn't have the same high standards, but some art is just plain bad. I played with the Villains cards for over a year before I realized that the guy being hurt on Electro's rare card (Anti-Matter) was Thor.

Other

The game play does feel somewhat different. Aside from the raised challenge level, more than a few Ally (Villains for Hero) cards hurt the other players. Magneto and Loki can give the other players Bindings (Villains' Wounds) and Sabertooth's rare can even KO their top cards. Bindings last longer than Wounds, too. Instead of Healing, you Betray and KO one Binding and give the others to the player on your left or right.

Depending on who you are and what you want from your game, this could be great and it could be awful. I'm OK with it, because most of the Villains characters are outright villains and do routinely screw over their friends. And hiking the challenge made sense, too--Villains don't succeed too often.

Conclusion

If nothing else, most here will enjoy Villains for adding all those new characters to recruit and fight. If you want more challenge, Villains fits the bill nicely. Be ready for lousy art, however.

Edit: Failed to explain why I was OK with the changes in theme and difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Big Poppi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal S.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I own and like the Legendary: Villains sets a lot. It is more player vs player vs Mastermind than player vs Mastermind like Legendary: Heroes.

It is up to you on whether you want to buy it or not. One of the reasons I got it was for the adversaries (villain groups) and back up adversaries (henchmen). Definitely take a look at them before purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Villains and we like it alot..We don't mix it with anything and just play it on it's own so a different experience from the other.We also find it harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always think more Legendary is a good thing. Playing as villains isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like the options. Because sometimes, Deadpool, Bullseye, Moon Knight, Venom, and Groot need to prevent Galactus from crowning Thor king of Asgard...y'know?

(No, I don't think my Marvel fanboyism would really allow me to play with that scenario and mastermind together, but you get the idea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To get an idea of how they might mix together, you can take a look at this thread I started to solicit mixed scenarios:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462246/humble-request-week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
Bad

Quite a bit of the art is disappointing. I understood that with so much more art to take care of than the Basic Set (Villains was my second purchase) it couldn't have the same high standards, but some art is just plain bad. I played with the Villains cards for over a year before I realized that the guy being hurt on Electro's rare card (Anti-Matter) was Thor.

I think that the art on the Brotherhood allies is disappointing, but I think the Sinister Six cards look pretty good. I'm not sure how you missed that the guy on Electro's card was thor. He is wearing Thor's costume, holding Mjolnir, and has long blonde hair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I absolutely recommend Villains! The reasons have pretty much been covered. Magneto can fight alongside the X-Men for the benefit of all mutantkind. Juggernaut and Hulk on the same team during Civil War sounds mighty fine. Mystique can help Colossus & Beast beat the Legacy Virus. Maybe Thor starts to act like Loki, trying to be king of Asgard as a villain, and your HQ will include Loki & Lady Thor to stop him. Venom can work alongside the spiders against Carnage. All sorts of possibilities come up!
Also, I enjoy playing as the MM against the group. With Villains, you can make your own ally deck and be more thematic about it. Venom does good work, putting bystanders on all big enemies, often resulting in discards as they escape. All those player-hating, competitive allies make more sense in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bahamut aaa
msg tools
Thank you all for giving me your thoughts about villains. I probably will buy it because you can do a lot of thematic scenarios.

Are the scheme's in villains doable when you are not playing against a commander but against a mastermind from the base set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:

I think that the art on the Brotherhood allies is disappointing, but I think the Sinister Six cards look pretty good. I'm not sure how you missed that the guy on Electro's card was thor. He is wearing Thor's costume, holding Mjolnir, and has long blonde hair.

Is it me or is Thor's Hammer Head incorrectly drawn at a funny angle to its handle ?

Edit: P.S. it also looks like Thor is pulling his own Hair
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jan111 wrote:
Thank you all for giving me your thoughts about villains. I probably will buy it because you can do a lot of thematic scenarios.

Are the scheme's in villains doable when you are not playing against a commander but against a mastermind from the base set?

Sure. Commanders and Masterminds are the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knightstalker30 wrote:
Is it me or is Thor's Hammer Head incorrectly drawn at a funny angle to its handle?
I think it looks fine, looks like the correct angle to me.

knightstalker30 wrote:
Edit: P.S. it also looks like Thor is pulling his own Hair
I hadn't noticed that, but you're spot on! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Svensson
msg tools
You know my wife and I started with the Villians set and we both HATE bindings. We hate them so much that we've avoided characters that interact with wounds, also we tend not to use some of the the characters that attack other players PVP style. What you said makes a lot of sense if wounds heal or aren't quite so detrimental in the original set.

From my experience I'd say get the original set, then secret wars I and II and GotG expansions. The roll up playmat and storage of the villians set is nice, but I prefer the gameplay of the expansions way more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
If you enjoy the thought of playing with villains characters as heroes/heroines, go ahead! If you have all legendary stuff except for those and want them, go ahead! If you want to add PvP elements to the game, also go ahead!

I would recommend every fan to get every expansion of Legendary they can afford as the expansions adds a lot to the gameplay, unless there is nothing you want at all in the expansion in question. Remember that it is always possible to take away heroes/heroines you do not want or villains or villain groups you don't want to face if you do not enjoy hitting good people as evil people.

Plus that the villain box is the best storage option UDE has released for the game, and a playmat by itself is very great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
On a side note, when I played the Dragon Ball Z CCG, I knew a guy who used the Villains playmat rather excellently for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.