3 Posts

Tutankhamen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Follow up on set collection question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time recently. I searched the posts to find an answer or clarification from the Artifact Collection rules...
"A player may not collect an artifact tile which he or she has passed over on a previous turn."

There was a posting in 2008 that asked this same question but I figured a reply on a post that old wouldn't get any more responses. But here is a snippet of it:

"...it meant that if you pass by any tile, you can't pick up any other of that set later in the game. But then - how do you remember/track if you'd passed up a particular set? And it didn't specify whether an "artifact tile" meant that color of tile, or that number of tile (all sets)."

We had the exact same thought...if I bypass a a purple burial mask, does that mean I cannot pick up any more purple burial masks or any burial masks for the rest of the game? I was beginning to think about how much I hated the game Concentration, and I might be spending more time thinking about what I missed than what I'm collecting.

Nevertheless, we tried that mechanic and quickly realized that hardly anyone skipped a tile because they didn't want to eliminate that scoring opportunity. It basically became a game of "leap-frog" with little to no strategy. We got 1/4 of the way through, agreed that it made no thematic sense and reset the game, playing with what we thought was the intended interpretation: "You can't go backwards and pick up any tiles."

We did exactly that and the game opened up to us and provided a lot more strategy and fun. Maybe I answered my own question but the simple solution of "don't go backwards" seemed to be such a sharp contradiction to the ambiguity of the written rule we still questioned ourselves.

If we're correct with the "don't go backwards" interpretation why didn't they say that (actually they did in "Movement") or eliminate this sentence? If we're wrong and you can't pick up a similar tile that you've already passed on, I don't think we will ever play it again. At the very least you would need a player aid to strike off the pieces passed...even then it would still be anti-climatic. Just looking for a consensus from the community. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
This was already answered in the thread you are quoting. You can't pick up a TILE you have passed. You can pick up other tiles of the same type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I gathered that as well, but I just wanted to confirm that with another gamer. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.