Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the developers give us any sort of play testing data?

How hard is the game, as this directly effects replay ability, if I am steam rolling the game every time it will be boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Huh. Now that I think about it, there doesn't seem to be any hint of difficulty selection. That doesn't bode well for replayability... Either newbs can't win or experienced people can't lose (or its mostly luck).

Are there plans to add difficulty selection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Guerrero
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every boss has printed in his card his difficulty and game lenght. Also characters have their difficulty printed (either solo and with others). I guess it would depend a lot on the party configuration and the final boss. Encounter cards may change it too.

Probably some of them will be insanely difficult and others will be really easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find it too easy, you could always add (or multiply) values to the number that determines the baddies you face. For example, 3 adventurers on day 4 will face 12 points of baddies (5+5+1+1). You could always add, say, 2 to each total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems to me the difficulty is easily adjustable if you want a harder challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind you'll be facing different encounters with their own advantages and disadvantages each day as well. With dice, there's always a chance for a rough roll to turn the odds too.

Based on what Josh shared in a different post, the encounters will hinder some classes of Gearloc more than others throughout the campaign. It also depends on the baddies you draw. Lots of variability that can be house ruled to make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
@Theron:

Playtesting data? I am not sure what you are asking about here. We have our core team of playtesters (same as Hoplo) who work on the game first, then it is exposed to local conventions for feedback, and finally the designers give it a runthrough to triple check everything (each step the designers modify the slight imperfections). We don't exactly make public the modifications that are made, as we don't want to confuse our audience.

@All:

There are a few elements that are important to note here. The Tyrant has a duration and difficulty setting. You will want to start with a shorter or easier one to get your feet wet. Also, the game scales quickly from easy to difficult. As it is with Hoplo, we allow our gamers to build confidence in themselves before we crush them with our Tyrants A boring game? Ask any Hoplo owner how many games they played before they won a game solo or coop

In all seriousness, our target for the audience is somewhere between a 33-50% chance to win. We want to see a learning curve, cohesion with skills, teamwork among Gearlocs to be required, Loot to be desired and needed, and a little luck to allow our gamers to feel the satisfaction of a well earned victory!

Replayability is huge in our Encounter cards, tall stack of unique Baddies, multiple Tyrants to pursue, Loot and Trove loot, different combinations of Gearlocs, your hard-to-choose builds within the Gearlocs themselves, and of course you will actually have to roll them!

Thank you for your good questions. I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Hagerstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, my question was just in general if you where keeping track of how many play tests or blind play tests have been run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.