Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Quantum» Forums » Variants

Subject: Here are a few DIY expansion player mats. Enjoy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've built up three player expansions that will allow you to add more players or simply more variety to player selection in Quantum.

There are new races using purple, black, and orange colors. I've been able to find 19mm dice in these colors on eBay fairly easily. 8mm "quantum cubes" can be purchased very cheaply from GameCrafter.

To avoid confusion with the race using black die, my group has begun using unique-colored 16mm dice as our attack and defense die.

I've tried to use Creative Commons art whenever possible but in the end I chose what I thought worked best with the theme of the race I was creating, so please print these for your own enjoyment only.

The printing option I went with was to print these as high quality photo prints at FedEx and then laminate them using their self-serve thick laminate; it'll cost around $10 to print and laminate all 3. Enjoy, you can download them from my Dropbox link here.

DM me if you want the editable files to create your own races. I can also post links to where I got the dice.

7 
 Thumb up
5.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Give us lettuce or give us death (or carrots).
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have photos of your final product? I would also be interested in the links to the dice. I think the Phalanx would look pretty fresh with white dice as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some Instagram shots. I'll post more soon.
Phalanx close up. You'll notice I painted the pips an accent color on the 1. I did this in green on the purple die.
Khepri on the board.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EliasDKehr wrote:
Do you have photos of your final product? I would also be interested in the links to the dice. I think the Phalanx would look pretty fresh with white dice as well.


19mm purple dice on eBay.
19mm white dice on eBay.
19mm black dice seem to be sold out on the vendor I used.
19mm orange dice on eBay. Ships from the UK.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How did it work out with 5 players? Any specific tile setup that is balanced?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found the tighter maps with less cubes work well as you add players. Though with more players it seems to remove Research as a viable strategy because you simply can't colonize quickly enough to stay competitive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh... I never considered adding more dice/players. How easy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jc
msg tools
Ok maybe people are not as interested as me but i have a lot of unanswered questions..

1. Where did you buy your new quantum cubes? what size (mm) are they?
2. when you printed the player cards, did you have to adjust print size? or did that particular print option just come out right?
3. what are some good five player map designs to make the start fair?
4. who designed the ships on the player mats?
5. what kind of paint did you use on the pips?

Lastly, I wanna say that you did an excellent job on the player mats and this is a fantastic idea, which I will employ asap. even if i do not play with 5 people, I still like having more options for color and empire.

thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryark wrote:
Ok maybe people are not as interested as me but i have a lot of unanswered questions..

1. Where did you buy your new quantum cubes? what size (mm) are they?
2. when you printed the player cards, did you have to adjust print size? or did that particular print option just come out right?
3. what are some good five player map designs to make the start fair?
4. who designed the ships on the player mats?
5. what kind of paint did you use on the pips?

Lastly, I wanna say that you did an excellent job on the player mats and this is a fantastic idea, which I will employ asap. even if i do not play with 5 people, I still like having more options for color and empire.

thanks!


1) Got the new cubes from Gamecrafter. They have plenty of colors to choose from.
2) The size isn't a perfect match but after lamination they're nearly the same size as the originals.
3) Every time we have played we use a basic 8 planet grid with the Void tile in middle, then placed 5 single-cube planets on the exterior for starting places for each. We've also done a 4-on-1 variant where the starting player began with a full set of upgrades and started with all ships, kind of a rebellion vs. empire scenario.
4) I don't have the designers off the top of my head, but I can track them down if you're super curious. Most came off of a basic Google image search.
5) Acrylic paints for model painting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jc
msg tools
Mind sharing the editable files? I'd like to change the purple race
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM me an email address. ninja
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Malaval
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome ! I'm getting them to play ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I get the editable files as well? Thanks!
A
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DM me your email.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Carey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It look like the Dropbox link is ow a 404. Any chance that you could upload your files as PDFs to the files section of BGG? Those close-ups looked really cool!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronca wrote:
It look like the Dropbox link is ow a 404. Any chance that you could upload your files as PDFs to the files section of BGG? Those close-ups looked really cool!


PM sent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels H
Denmark
flag msg tools
monstronaut wrote:
aaronca wrote:
It look like the Dropbox link is ow a 404. Any chance that you could upload your files as PDFs to the files section of BGG? Those close-ups looked really cool!


PM sent.


Hi Drew,
Awesome that you've done these and that the thread is not dead. I would also very much like the files if you still have them. Preferably editable
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.