René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought that Save Fuel and Push would be fine new additional strategies, but then I read them again and thought:"why aren't they just applied to all drivers for the whole game beside the original Strategies?"
My point is that any driver should be allowed to save fuel or push during a race, not just if you have it as a strategy.
The original Strategies has an advanced use which gives you a Track card. I can't read anything about how to get a Track card if I choose Save Fuel or Push.

Wise Driving could be useful and I just might give Wise Driving a go when I get the expansion.
Rain Expert sounds cool, but is only helpful if you get the weather pin into uncertain or rain. But the guys I'm playing with always want to keep the pin on the sunny side, so it would be a waste to choose this skill.
And again, some of the original skills gives a Track card or two, but these two new ones doesn't. Some again, some might just choose the original ones for the benefit of the Track cards.
And if the blue discs are rain tyres, then we perhaps should make yellow discs for the soft tyres, so players don't get confused about who is having which tyres?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martino m
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi,
I think you miss some points in new rules about the 2 new strategies.
In both you have the chance to draw Special Track cards.
see page 6.

SAVE FUEL:
Special - phase B
Draw one Track card or shift your refuelling chit one turn
later on the Turn Indicator when you play +1 and/or +2 cards
only for movement, i.e. no cards with more than 2MPs each.

PUSH:
Special - phase C
Draw one Track card when you pay at least 2 black tyre chips
for movement (must be chips only, no cards).

about "Rain Expert", we use our special "pilot-indipendent" meteo rules (you can find the instructions in File section, really thanks to "Tom Ballou"!!) and this skill can be very interesting...

blue discs for rain tyres are ok, because on your car board you also have a tyre-chit the specify the tyres type.

:o))
martino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ups, You're right, I read it as Race cards. Sorry.
Well, that makes them much stronger, but I still think everyone should have them next to another strategy.

And if you choose a Skill for half a season or for the whole season, I fail to see why someone would pick 'Rain Expert' over 'Qualifying' or 'Pitting'.

I know about the Tyre chits, but when you play like us with enlarged board, it's hard to look at the other side of the table and recognize the chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Archer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Ups, You're right, I read it as Race cards. Sorry.
Well, that makes them much stronger, but I still think everyone should have them next to another strategy.

I am glad these strategies cannot be paired, otherwise you could do things that do not make sense like save tyres and push or hazard and save fuel. The way I see it these strategies just mean that you are going above and beyond everybody else in terms of using fuel or saving fuel. Plus you could always house rule it that you get a fuel strategy and a base game strategy.

Slotracer wrote:
And if you choose a Skill for half a season or for the whole season, I fail to see why someone would pick 'Rain Expert' over 'Qualifying' or 'Pitting'.

While I do agree with you that Pitting and Qualifying might be best over a season I would give Rain Expert a thought and put it as a skill over Tuning and Lapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wondered if you can play a +1 card with a +4, why can you not play a +2 and a +3 together? Most of the deck is +2 and +3 movement, so this will increase your average speed and make robots even weaker than they already are.

You are more than welcome to house rule that you can play with your refueling marker, however I don't think it will have the same impact you feel it will.

When you play a pair of 2s (especially with a trajectory) you can move your fuel marker back one space (save fuel). Next turn if you play a +2/+4 pair you move it back to the original spot (push). My guess is these two combined will make the players all faster and the robots slower.

What is gained from that? Not much. It maybe better to take save fuel as a strategy in a race such as Monaco where you plan on 7/11/10 lap stints. With save fuel in the middle stint you can save at least one track space due to the extra fuel required.

MPS - % of race card deck
1 - 18%
2 - 39%
3 - 28%
4 - 15%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[sorry my english]

The RACE EXPERT was created (IMO) to end of the weather problem. Naturally me and my friends want run in SUN, is more easy, no penalty in checks, late brake are more easy, and so on.

With this skill, run in RAIN conditions is more advantageous.

Some friends say "This skill is useless, because you don't know if the race will go start with drizzle or rain". To Race Expert does not matter the start condition. The important thing is the weather CHANGE.

In SPA you have 70% of chance to start in drizzle or rain condition. Is a good moment to start the race with Race Expert skill:

- If the race start with sun: The Race Expert must use the same opponent tyres (without prejudice to you).
- If the race start with RAIN: Use RAIN TYRES and you will gain advantage (+3 MP)
- if the race start with DRIZZLE or RAIN: If you start behind of the his opponents in the starting grid, see the opponent tyres. If his opponents starting with INTERMEDIATE tyres, you can fit INTERMEDIATE tyres, but in this case anybody will gain advantage. If you fit RAIN tyres, you must fight to move the weather pawn to rain. If you do not get move the pawn to rain, no problem, in drizzle conditions you will not have penalties. If his opponent's move the pawn to SUN, them will be forced to change to hard tyres. You can do the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.