Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
It's turn 8, Russia has 9 point lead. Defcon level gets brought down to level 2 and Russia plays Wargames.

Game over...Russia wins.

Did I miss something or was it just that simple?

(Third time we played and first time we made it to Late War Turns, so never seen those cards before)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't miss anything - Russia wins

There's a great discussion here (and on LOTS of other TS stuff)

http://twilightstrategy.com/2013/01/07/wargames/

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of the ways the game often ends.

Could be surprising if you didn't know about it in advance, but now you do I guess!

Any basic primer on the game would have addressed it for you, though.

When I'm teaching people, I explain wargames if it looks like the game could get to that point.

It's really not the type of game where you're going to learn better by just letting the cards happen to you, especially since it can take a few hours to play. Going through them with the opponent before playing would give you an idea about what to expect and help you learn to play the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Slyzx1 wrote:
It's turn 8, Russia has 9 point lead. Defcon level gets brought down to level 2 and Russia plays Wargames.

Game over...Russia wins.

Did I miss something or was it just that simple?

(Third time we played and first time we made it to Late War Turns, so never seen those cards before)

That simple. A vp here and there could make the difference between Wargames being a winner or just another 4 op card. It's just one more way the game forces difficult and hard to calculate choices upon you--improve my position for the long run and final scoring or bank some vps now so that I don't get Wargamed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Spiker
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
It's actually a great balancer for the Soviets, as heading into Late War with a +6 lead can be fairly difficult, and the US has much more powerful Late War cards than the Soviets do, plus the huge advantage of the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.