Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if a character has Milk of the Poppy (which makes their text box blank), and that character has a duplicate, can you save that character with the duplicate.

The rules reference says, in regards to duplicates:

Quote:
•A duplicate grants its controller the following triggered
game ability: “Interrupt: When the overlapping unique
card would leave play, discard this duplicate to save that
card. (Cannot be canceled.)”

•Duplicates are not considered attachments.
Duplicates are not affected by and do not interact
with text that refers to attachments.

It says more, but those are the parts that I thought were relevant to this question.

So as far as I understand, a duplicate modifies the text box of the card itself, so if Milk of the Poppy was attached, you would in fact not be able to save that character with the duplicate.

Discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milk of the poppy does not discard a character from play, so I would think that you cannot discard a dupe to "cancel" a poppy.

something interesting about poppy tho...think about all those characters that say "no attachment". poppy makes that go away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:
milk of the poppy does not discard a character from play, so I would think that you cannot discard a dupe to "cancel" a poppy.

I don't think that's what he's asking. He's asking if you can save a character with a duplicate (to satisfy Military claim or some other kill effect) if that character has Milk of the Poppy on it.

I believe the answer is yes, but I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dupes grant an ability, but that ability isn't on the text box of any card. It's just a game effect. If the rules said "Duplicates add an ability to the text box of the card..." you might be onto something, but that's not the case. So Milk does not interact with dupes at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
alexankh wrote:

I don't think that's what he's asking. He's asking if you can save a character with a duplicate (to satisfy Military claim or some other kill effect) if that character has Milk of the Poppy on it.

I believe the answer is yes, but I could be wrong.

indeed. apologies. I agree with your assessment.

I think OP quoted his answer

Quote:
Duplicates are not affected by and do not interact
with text that refers to attachments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexankh wrote:

something interesting about poppy tho...think about all those characters that say "no attachment". poppy makes that go away...

Interesting. I must have misunderstood this because I was thinking if a card says no attachments, then Milk of the Poppy couldn't be attached in the first place. If it can't be attached then it can't blank the text...right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
alexankh wrote:

Interesting. I must have misunderstood this because I was thinking if a card says no attachments, then Milk of the Poppy couldn't be attached in the first place. If it can't be attached then it can't blank the text...right?

Right. You cannot attach Milk of the Poppy to a Character that says "No Attachments"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
alexankh wrote:

If someone plays the Fortified Position plot, then you can put Milk on anyone because their text box is blank. After the turn ends, Milk will keep their text box blank and remain on them even if they say No Attachments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
alexankh wrote:

If someone plays the Fortified Position plot, then you can put Milk on anyone because their text box is blank. After the turn ends, Milk will keep their text box blank and remain on them even if they say No Attachments.

yes sorry, this plot card was assumed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

agentkuo wrote:
...a duplicate modifies the text box of the card itself, so if Milk of the Poppy was attached, you would in fact not be able to save that character with the duplicate.

IMHO, this is a wrong interpretation. A duplicate would still be able to save, despite Milk of the Poppy being attached. I agree with Drew and Jim, above.

Why?

1) Attachments (i.e., Milk of the Poppy) can only be attached to characters. (Unless excepted by the attachment's card text) (Ref: Pg 3)

2) A Duplicate placed underneath a [character] card is NOT a character.
(Ref: Pg 7, "Duplicates have no text, titles, characteristics, type, or traits.")

3) (Ref: pg 7) Duplicates are not affected by and do not interact with text that refers to attachments.

Thusly, given all the above, Milk of the Poppy has no effect on the duplicate. Now consider the rule quoted by the OP... the Interrupt ability is granted by the duplicate. It does not apply to the top [Character] card, which Milk of the Poppy is attached to. So again, MotP has no effect on the duplicate's ability. Thusly the duplicate can be used to save the overlapping Character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
alexankh wrote:

I believe this is incorrect. The Rules Reference states:
Quote:
Under the "Cost" heading: An ability cannot initiate (and therefore its costs
cannot be paid) if the resolution of its effect will not
change the game state.

I believe attaching Milk of the Poppy to a character with a blank text box would not change the game state. I could be wrong, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
alexankh wrote:

I believe this is incorrect. The Rules Reference states:
Quote:
Under the "Cost" heading: An ability cannot initiate (and therefore its costs
cannot be paid) if the resolution of its effect will not
change the game state.

I believe attaching Milk of the Poppy to a character with a blank text box would not change the game state. I could be wrong, though.

Milk of the Poppy's ability never initiates. It's a passive effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Smith

Michigan
msg tools
It changes the game state because now that character has an attachment. Even if that attachment doesn't do anything, that's still a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, there are plenty of effects in the game that depend on a character having or not having attachments, so simply adding an attachment is sufficient to say the game state has changed.

In addition to all of the things said above, Milk of the Poppy blanks the printed text of the attached character. If the character gains a keyword, ability, or other kind of text from another source, it is still in effect because it is not physically printed on the character.

For example, If you have Daenerys and Drogon, and Milk of the Poppy is played on Daenerys, she still has Renown.

With duplicates, the ability they grant certainly isn't printed on the character. It's not even printed on the duplicate. The ability of a duplicate to save is not printed on any card so it will never be affected by anything that blanks printed text, even if it were so broad as to say "blank the printed text of all cards in play"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.