nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I've bit the proverbial bullet and decided to attend this year's BGG.CON, my very first convention experience. It seems I was one of the lucky few to reserve a room at the DFW Hyatt Regency before they sold out, and managed to secure 3 nights (Wed-Fri) there.

Now, after hearing about so many long-time attendees unable to get rooms, I am considering transferring my reservation to someone who might be able to get more use out of it and instead staying in a cheap-ish motel/hotel near the airport.

Well, alright then, so my intentions are not all entirely altruistic. I'll be attending by myself, and paying $121/night is exceedingly steep when there are so many far friendlier options for my budget just 5 miles away. Essentially, I could stay all 5 nights instead of my current 3, and for quite a bit less.

I've been lurking in other threads and hearing snippets of what it's like to stay elsewhere and drive in to the con each day, but I'd really like to hear more about it for the sake of making an informed decision before transferring away "prime real estate."

If anyone who stays off-site and travels into the con each day could pop in and tell me a little bit about your experience, I'd be mighty appreciative! I'm hoping that if other lurkers are in the same position as me, this thread might help open up a few new Hyatt Regency reservations.

Here are the various factors I'm considering:

a.) I'll be driving/parking. I hear the Con validates airport parking, making it free for attendees? How easy is it to go through this process and find a parking spot each day?

b.) Getting the most out of the con. Part recluse, part morning person by nature, I intend to spend most of the day playing with friendly people, then retiring around 11 or 12 at night (before my fancy ball gown turns into a pumpkin and/or mice). Knowing that, will I be "missing out" on the full con experience if I stay away from the DFW?

c.) Just how free of bed bugs and murder are the Dallas airport area motels? That is to ask-- are most of the budget motels decently non-death-inducing around the Dallas airport area? The one I'm currently considering is a well-known chain and doesn't seem too skeezy. Reading motel reviews is rarely indicative. You could read the reviews from the most prestigious hotel in Paris and it'd still be a straight split of 50% "My husband and I consummated our marriage here and the waitstaff were very helpful 5 stars!!!" and 50% "My gangrenous leg fell off in the rusted bath tub that was full of cockroaches and I found low-quality crystal meth in the 'continental' breakfast Pop-Tart they charged me for." At least this one's only 5 miles away and boasts a 24-hour airport shuttle.

Thank you so much for your insight and help in the matter! I'm really looking forward to meeting the lot of you and playing happy board games all the live-long day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG members who couldn't get tickets setting up a parallel ALT.CON is a wonderful idea, even if it's at a FLGS or Barnes and Noble.

If someone had to leave BGG.CON early, could they transfer their pass to someone at this alternate gathering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy parking is comped by the hotel. Just make sure you get it validated.

It's 5 min to any of the north airport hotels and you have quite a range of choices and prices.

I do it every year saves me hundreds of dollars i can use to buy games at the con with.

To more specifically answer b and c. The con goes pretty light late night most people are playing in small groups or going to bed around 12-1am (when the library closes) and the whole hotel is pretty deserted anytime after that till about 8am, though there is always people gaming.

C) i've stayed at both the motel 8s and the red roof on the north side. The super 8 closer to the airport was rather nice nearly as good as any of the budget fancy hotel. The slightly farther one was a lot worse. I've done the red roof twice now. It was better then the not great super 8 and half the price of every other hotel but definitely worse then the nice super 8. But it was clean, not broken down, and didn't smell and that's about what i ask out of a cheap hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GeorgeMo wrote:
I think BGG members who couldn't get tickets setting up a parallel ALT.CON is a wonderful idea, even if it's at a FLGS or Barnes and Noble.

If someone had to leave BGG.CON early, could they transfer their pass to someone at this alternate gathering?

No, BGG tickets are for the full convention. There are no single-day tickets or weekend badge transfers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been the past four years. The first two we stayed at the Regency. The last two we stayed at the Hyatt Place Grapevine.

Driving in and out every day is not that burdensome. It only takes about ten minutes and is relatively hassle-free. We were always able to find a parking spot. A few times each year, we inevitably would forget to validate our parking and had to go back to the hotel.

This year, we have decided to stay on-site for two reasons:

1) It is just so nice to have a place, just up an elevator, where I can dump my stuff/swap out what's in my backpack/refill my snacks/use a private restroom/facetime my kids/etc/etc/etc. These are all things that can be (and were) worked around when staying off-site, but they add up to it being a non-trivial inconvenience.

2) Being an introvert, I need to recuperate from time to time. Regardless of where my room is, I have to have that time. If I'm staying off-site, that means I have to go off-site to get that respite. That means reduced gaming time overall as I spend the extra twenty minutes in travel to accomplish this. Staying on-site means I can just walk up to my room and be back to gaming much more quickly.

We are SO SO SO excited to stay on-site this year. You will love it either way you go, but you will love it MORE if you stay on-site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stayed offsite for the past two years, after staying onsite for the previous 10. While it certainly is convenient staying in the convention hotel, it's not IMHO worth the additional cost, especially if like me you don't share your room. I'm able to get a room AND a rental car to get me there for significantly less than just the room at the Hyatt, and I get my own fridge (and breakfast if I ever get up that early which I don't). Having a car is really nice just to avail yourself of some more food variety. Also I usually fly in on Southwest now, so I need some kind of transport from Love Field anyway.

UntitledDocument wrote:

a.) I'll be driving/parking. I hear the Con validates airport parking, making it free for attendees? How easy is it to go through this process and find a parking spot each day?

As mentioned, parking and validation has been painless and free these last two years. The first year at the on-airport hotel the validation was kind of a mess, but they seem to have it down now. As for finding a parking space, it sometimes takes a couple minutes, but it's never been a real problem and you're at most a 3-4 minute covered walk from the hotel door.

Quote:
will I be "missing out" on the full con experience if I stay away from the DFW?

IMHO, no.

Quote:
are most of the budget motels decently non-death-inducing around the Dallas airport area?

I can only speak to the Super 8 DFW North where I've stayed the last two years, and it has been more than fine. It's just a motel so don't expect more, but it's been hassle-free, comfortable, and quiet. The drive from the Hyatt is trivial and less than 10 minutes. It's not the absolute cheapest option - there's a Days Inn right near the previous con hotel (the Westin) which is even cheaper, and I recall people staying there when the con was across the street. Nobody died to the best of my knowledge.

I would suggest trying to find something near the North airport exit rather than the South, as the drive in from that way is quite a bit shorter and the neighborhood seems a bit nicer. The really dirt-cheap stuff is out the South exit and I can't offer personal experience down that way.

Enjoy the con - it's amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceej wrote:
I've stayed offsite for the past two years, after staying onsite for the previous 10. While it certainly is convenient staying in the convention hotel, it's not IMHO worth the additional cost, especially if like me you don't share your room. I'm able to get a room AND a rental car to get me there for significantly less than just the room at the Hyatt, and I get my own fridge (and breakfast if I ever get up that early which I don't). Having a car is really nice just to avail yourself of some more food variety. Also I usually fly in on Southwest now, so I need some kind of transport from Love Field anyway.

UntitledDocument wrote:

As mentioned, parking and validation has been painless and free these last two years. The first year at the on-airport hotel the validation was kind of a mess, but they seem to have it down now. As for finding a parking space, it sometimes takes a couple minutes, but it's never been a real problem and you're at most a 3-4 minute covered walk from the hotel door.

Quote:
will I be "missing out" on the full con experience if I stay away from the DFW?

IMHO, no.

Quote:
are most of the budget motels decently non-death-inducing around the Dallas airport area?

I can only speak to the Super 8 DFW North where I've stayed the last two years, and it has been more than fine. It's just a motel so don't expect more, but it's been hassle-free, comfortable, and quiet. The drive from the Hyatt is trivial and less than 10 minutes. It's not the absolute cheapest option - there's a Days Inn right near the previous con hotel (the Westin) which is even cheaper, and I recall people staying there when the con was across the street. Nobody died to the best of my knowledge.

I would suggest trying to find something near the North airport exit rather than the South, as the drive in from that way is quite a bit shorter and the neighborhood seems a bit nicer. The really dirt-cheap stuff is out the South exit and I can't offer personal experience down that way.

Enjoy the con - it's amazing!

I went and looked it up since the super 8 was brought up again.

Apparently the one to avoid got sold and remodeled into a westin. They opened a new one in the northwest that has good reviews as does the only remaining one on the north east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:

If you're talking about transferring a BGG.CON badge, it's expressly against the rules and will be challenged. You have to have a badge AND a wristband to be at the CON. You can get a replacement wristband for $5 if you need to take yours off for any reason, but a photo ID for the person who paid for the badge is required, and it has to match the person whose wrist is supplied.
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, part of the con experience is being in the hotel with the con. Wake up, at any time and walk down and join a game. Games run ALL night long.

Getting late and you think you need to head out, no, stay and play one more game and walk (not drive) back to your room. Do not worry about being to tired to drive.

Stayed up to late last night and was up early this morning, no worry, just head up to your room for a nap.

Going shopping in the vendor room, don't worry about having to carry you loot around, just take it back to your room.

Meet some friendly people and enjoy gaming with them. Trade phone numbers and you are just a text away from the next game with them.

I often go to cons with a few friends. I am an early bird, normally up by 5 or 6 even if I am up till 1 or 2 in the morning. Don't worry about a carpool over to the con, just walk down stairs.

For me the total con experience is extended and expanded by being in the hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.