Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just read the English rules, I'm a little uncertain about how the animal and goods decks work. In the setup, it has you shuffle the animals and goods and place them each into two separate face up piles. It calls these "open piles" (p. 2 sidebar). My interpretation of "open" means players can look through those piles at any time. Is that correct?

Later in the rulebook (p. 9), in the explanation of the ship and pasture cards, it says "When you place a ship/pasture in your estate, take one good/animal card from one of the two decks and place it in your storage." This part is a bit ambiguous to me. It could be interpreted that you can take any card from in either of the appropriate decks. However, that would make shuffling the cards and separating them into two decks pointless, so it must mean that you can only take the top card from one of the appropriate decks. Is that the case, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think you can look through them ever. You can just pick from the two top available ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think open is meant to be similar to the face up decks in Bruges. You can see the top cards and that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed it meant the two piles of animals, and the two piles of goods, are face-up and you get to choose the top card from either pile of the appropriate type (giving you a LITTLE bit of choice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
how do animals exactly work?

i get them with the green cards putting them in my warehouse.
And then? All i do is to try to get four different and that's it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
how do animals exactly work?

i get them with the green cards putting them in my warehouse.
And then? All i do is to try to get four different and that's it?

You're trying to get sets of different animals. You can have multiple sets. From the rulebook (p. 14):
Quote:
Example: Megan owns 3 sheep, 2 cattle and 1 chicken.
She gets 3 victory points for this (2 for sheep + cattle
+ chicken, 1 for sheep + cattle; nothing for the single
sheep).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gotch
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing where players are allowed to look through the face-up piles (but must take the top). I would expect that if players could not look through the piles they would be face-down and only the top card would be revealed. If players cannot look through them, why make them face-up at all? After all they occasionally get knocked and you unintentionally see the next cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.