Subject: The World of Travelling Pioneers with Potential for Violence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:123 [+] 504:124 [+] 504:x2x [+] [View All]
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after having a few games with a different group (including the requisite game of 123, discovering I really hate the idea of xx3 in a three player game due to the potential luck involved in being the only one to get an awesome privlege), and getting the rules wrong with both, I try to introduce 124 to a new group. I had also heavily enjoyed 124 previously, althoguh I had gotten the rules terribly wrong, so this would rack up as my first game of 504 with the rules all correct. I also happen to prefer 124 to 123 as the lack of residents in 123 hurts the other modules for future plays, in my opinion (one of my other group members found the transition from no residents to residents particularly jarring).

Oddly, x2x and xx4 both seemed nearly completely irrelevant in this scenario. I hadn't explained that the trolley could also transport the residents, but the upgrades were not expensive enough to make a steady income necessary, and whilst two of us had settlements through the board, it did not get in the way enough of the player who decided to forgoe income and only get the base $20 a turn. The only reason that they didn't win was because they misheard the scoring rules and had delivered 5 fish instead of diversifying. It would be interesting to try an x24 module where the income is more important (such as 324) or residents are essential (such as 524), and I think that that will be my next approach to playing 504. It would be interesting with 124, in a 3 player game where two players forgoe income, to see if the third player has an advantage.

The eventual results ended up with the two players having expanded delivering 7 goods total (a set and two additional goods), both with a single good carrying capacity. As we could not remember who had gotten the higher income the final turn, we ruled that the person who had expanded to the most cities (and therefore had collected greater income through the game) had won. The game ended rather anti-climactically.

Tl-dr: 124 is fun to play, but income is not hugely important for all players and the game can feel anti-climactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalev Tait
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
2II seems to be balanced for games with no residents. I would recommend in games with 2II with residents, that settlements give every turn income rather than one time only income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.