Karuba» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solution to copycats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played this game yet, but it seems like the game could be ruined by copycats if problem persist. If so, I think the solution is to do simultaneous reveal of action selection.

Quote:
After the expedition leader announces the tile, each player holds the announced tile with their fist closed and reveals simultaneously, If they plan to discard (the tile) and travel, they show the tile faced down. If they plan to place the tile then show the tile faced up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
I haven't played this game yet, but it seems like the game could be ruined by copycats if problem persist. If so, I think the solution is to do simultaneous reveal of action selection.

Quote:
After the expedition leader announces the tile, each player holds the announced tile with their fist closed and reveals simultaneously, If they plan to discard (the tile) and travel, they show the tile faced down. If they plan to place the tile then show the tile faced up

Not sure this is needed.
Play this game over 20x with all sorts of gamers and sure maybe for someone's first game, and they are totally clueless what to do, they peek at what their neighbor did, but 3 turns later, they are off in a different direction so it's a mute point.

It's actually quite clever that even though we are given the exact same tools to play with, the results are so very very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Altasia wrote:

Quote:

Not sure this is needed.
Play this game over 20x with all sorts of gamers and sure maybe for someone's first game, and they are totally clueless what to do, they peek at what their neighbor did, but 3 turns later, they are off in a different direction so it's a mute point.

It's actually quite clever that even though we are given the exact same tools to play with, the results are so very very different.

We're having the same thing happen here. Everyone thinks their way is best so the boards are wildly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Hold the phone guys. I'm just proposing a house rule if the problem persist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Altasia wrote:
Hold the phone guys. I'm just proposing a house rule if the problem persist

Doesn't sound like it's a problem at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Burbach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I've seen occurs later in the game when two people are within reach of a temple. One player will sometimes wait to see if the other is going to place the current tile or discard it and move their explorer, before deciding what to do with their tile. Not sure how to stop this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frank Burbach wrote:
The only problem I've seen occurs later in the game when two people are within reach of a temple. One player will sometimes wait to see if the other is going to place the current tile or discard it and move their explorer, before deciding what to do with their tile. Not sure how to stop this.

I wonder if that wasn't the case in older versions of the game, but in the rules there is a specific suggestion to deal with this by having the player with the most points be the first to move. You could also house-rule that to have player order that alternates to the left with each round. (but only if it is really necessary since that would possibly make the game longer).
I don't think you should prohibit looking at other players' boards, since that's actually where some of the more tactical elements of the game come from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about doing something like FITS where everyone starts with a different tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
United States
Syosset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group doesn't have a problem with copying, but I just thought of the following (untested) idea using a simultaneous selection mechanism.

Give each player a set of regular playing cards, one suit, Ace through King. Then everyone has to reveal two cards at the same time which would be the coordinates of their tile placement. (Like 2,Jack would be 20 deg., 110 deg.) They could show a King,Queen to indicate they are trading in the tile to move a character.

It would be a bit clunky, and I guess people could still try to copy character movement, but maybe if your group is having trouble with this aspect of the game it would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
St-Bruno
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way that I can see without making it clunky, mind you I only read the rule but it made me wonders how to alleviate the wait and see approach:

Pass a first player token. Player who hold it "place their tile"/travel first, then person to its left, etc... until all have act.

Next turn, pass the first player token left, and go from there.

Rinse and repeat until game is over.

This would remove copying and also removing the "advantage" of someone waiting to act last to see what the others do. It would make it I believe, more fair.

Is there a first player advantage... Dunno about that, but I'll give it a shot I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a solution in need of a problem.

Play it. Copying doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Definitely a solution in need of a problem.

Play it. Copying doesn't happen.

Or it happens for the first two turns when someone is brand new and uncertain and then they go off on their own.

Either way, it's a non issue with our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Domagala
United States
Key West
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, It may be like that on the first few round but once someone places tile on the different spot its everybody at his own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukus Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Maybe a simple solution would be that your first tile must be on a different place than each other player in turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.