Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh» Forums » General

Subject: Layout Recommendations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular layouts that people have found to be competitive/fun with this expansion? Feel free to post the 4 x 5 grid! (with numbers instead of names of course)

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10|
11| 12| 13| 14| 15|
16| 17| 18| 19| 20|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't found a layout yet that isn't fun!

Found a few that were particularly painful though.
I think it would interesting to try and figure out the literal worst board layout (hardest), as far as sub-optimal movements, but that would be hi-jacking your thread.

Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thuc Nguyen-Pham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
random layout is for us the best. that makes you figure out a new strategy each new game, which is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Skinner
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 player game last night which we laid out semi-randomly, like this:

Wainwright | Tavern | Gemstone Dealer | Fruit Warehouse | Tea House

Spice Warehouse | Large Market | Fountain | Roasting Plant | Great Mosque

Small Mosque | Police Station | Post Office | Fabric Warehouse | Carvansary

Black Market | Coffee House | Sultan's Palace | Small Market | Guild Hall

The "semi-random" setup was essentially a full shuffle of the tiles except the Fountain, then dealing them out left to right, top to bottom, and dropping the Fountain in the middle.

Next I wanted the Tea House and Black Market in opposite corners, and wanted the Small Mosque to be away from the Tea House (I think it could have been more central between the two dice-based locations, but I always seem to see people favor the red Mosque tile alongside Tea House's income as a strategy, so I hamstrung it a bit).

Finally I put the Guild Hall in a corner, since some of those powers are incredibly valuable and I wanted to make people to out of their way for them if they wanted them. Probably could have pulled it inward on space and been fine. Only one player took the time to go there and he didn't get anything particularly useful.

All in all I enjoyed the setup for sure, but think it could have been better still. Semi-random I think is a good way to go with bigger groups; fully random can work just fine with a smaller player count, especially with experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.