Subject: What are your impressions of this set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local called last week to tell me Colony Wars was in. I picked it up and played three games with a friend using only the CW cards. Our impressions: Blue and red were nerfed, green is better than ever, and yellow is still weak.

I mixed the CW cards in with the core set plus Bases & Battleships and Fleets & Fortresses. Met up with another friend and played three games. Our impressions: Blue and red were nerfed, green is better than ever, and yellow is still weak.

How have others found this set?

For perspective we've all played a lot of card games. I met both of them back when I played a lot of tournament Netrunner 3+ years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played CW last night.

1 - artwork is better than base. Period. Love it.
2 - new abilities are interesting and can make for some monster turns.
3 - I feel that this was tweaked from a spreadsheet of values...

Let me explain. To turn missile bot into the bot it is now, they weakened the scrap (from hand only) and made it cost less. Overall, I feel Machine Cult's abilities were curbed a little - at the trade off of higher damage output. Base game red are weak, but they cycle fast when you scrape out the garbage. Their bases also became more aggressive.
Blue's authority output was pulled back a little, but their abilities got bigger (all of those bases!), the trade may have gone up a little. My opponent played blue, I rarely do.
Yellow gave up lots of forced discards (now much more uncommon), and gained a lot more trade, and yellow also seems to be more powerful in staggering numbers. More draw cards. The Gunship is a new favorite - it's a mobile space station that can help you pull in big buys early and do respectable damage while still forcing a discard.
Green's damage output was churned just a little, and the abilities got switched up. We both used green, and parasite was easily one of my favorite buys...

Base busting abilities are much less common, overall, but it is still out there.

In terms of playing a meta - I'm a Star Empire player all of the way. Always been my favorite faction. I know peeps complain about them being weak, but I've never had that problem. Comparatively, their ships are slightly weaker than the green ships (at same cost), but force discarding has won me more games than I could count. I don't think there's a single base game green card one can scrap to draw a card and squeeze that last little damage for the coup de grace - yellow has a few.
Straight yellow? No. Gotta blend in some red to trim, or some blue to stay alive, or some green to ratchet up damage.

Just my .02... after nearly 6000 games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've got thousands of games of the original under my belt as well. After only a few games my impression of Colony Wars is that it's... Pretty much the same basic thing. I'm not really sure what I was expecting but this was a little disappointing. I guess maybe it's because Ascension expansions tend to introduce at least one major new element and Star Realms and Ascension are effectively the same game in my head (I know, blasphemy). Without a significant new mechanic I think it will be harder to get Colony Wars out there in my house.

I somehow avoided all hype for the game and didn't realize it wasn't exactly an expansion. Being a standalone probably explains why much of the basic foundation is still there without any dramatic changes. I do appreciate the new artwork a lot. I don't know that it feels "better" necessarily, but it does feel "more" and that's welcome for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Weddle
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it on it's own with some coworkers when I first got it. We noticed there seemed to be a lot more low trade cost cards, some nice higher trade and not a lot in between. Just playing it on its own it seemed to lack some interaction. The above comments from Brett I would echo with some additional comments. I have played around with choosing only one faction & I even tried playing a four player game where each player only had the option to buy their own faction, but it didn't work out. I found a good mix is required, although it does seem to help to have a focus and choose a major faction for your deck.

#1 It is a very similar feel to the original Star Realms. I guess I was hoping for a few more things to jump out at me and make me change my overall strategy or negate some of the "If this card comes up, you buy it" mechanics. I understand your slight disappointment there. However, I combined this with the original, the Crisis expansions and a few odds and ends and the cherry on top was the Gambits. I purchased the new Cosmic Gambits and my wife ended up with the awesome Black Market gambit. It let her buy a card on that spot for one less trade. She was getting ships for free and made me buy a few on that spot so she would not get them for the discount of 1 trade, sometimes giving her a free ship. It was a fun game and that did add a different tactic to the game. The new cards just give you different options and there are a lot of good low trade cards that if you get them early can be very helpful or purchased for their ally ability later in the game.

#2 The art is amazing, I agree! I liked the original, but this one blows it out of the water, out of space and maybe into a black hole or supernova, your choice. Each faction retains its same feel and even if the cards were black and white, the style of the ships shines through and makes it easy to tell apart. I enjoyed looking at all the cards and even took some artistic photos of the cards. It helps being a photographer, I think I see things in a slightly different perspective.

#3 Star Realms Colony Wars does mix it up a little and be sure and read ALL the text. I missed a bases ability where when I scrapped one or two cards I was then able to draw that many cards again. Fortunately I was playing with some honest players who pointed it out to me. The ally abilities are much more prominent and seem to have more options on what cards combo well together. I look forward to seeing peoples favorite and unique combos between the original and CW sets.

Overall, I think Colony Wars did what it set out to do, breathe some life into the original game and keep the strategy and options open. Now that the deck is almost three times as big as it started, you have to adjust to what is in trade row and adjust your strategy more. A certain faction may not come up as often as it normally does and there is no guarantee a ship will show up in any game. I'm looking forward to playing it more and will be enticing others to play and check out the new ships and bases in Colony Wars.

*Note - Update 4/8 Played a few more times the last few weeks. I heard Sam Healey from the Dice tower say he played it on its own. I played it again with my wife & we found it stands on its own, without any expansions or the original set. Ended up with a good game, nice variety and slight changes in our strategy. we both had some good bases and good blue cards and the last game went a little longer than others, but it was fun. Definitely will be bringing it out to play again with friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First three games today, mixed with original game, four players hunter.

Overall I think it was a nice addition. Since you need (more or less) an extra deck anyway for 3-4 players, might as well get this one and have a more varied trade deck.

Only issue we found was that the Parasite card was so powerful. We removed it from the deck after our second game where one player got it on turn two and then was unstoppable. A free 6-cost ship, without even needing an ally to trigger it, from a 5-cost card... No one could get an economy up to keep up with that by far. It seemed like a card that everyone would be happy to pay 8 or even more for, so not sure how they decided to make it a 5. I guess the spreadsheet told them, but maybe spreadsheets are wrong sometimes? Or maybe we are. I think the greens are quite powerful enough even if that single card is removed anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Only issue we found was that the Parasite card was so powerful. We removed it from the deck after our second game where one player got it on turn two and then was unstoppable. A free 6-cost ship, without even needing an ally to trigger it, from a 5-cost card... No one could get an economy up to keep up with that by far.

There's quite a lot of luck involved in that, though. Even having got the card so early in the game there's no guarantee that expensive cards will be available.

Sure, the Parasite is a good card, but I haven't found it to be so overwhelming. Why not try a few more games with it in the deck before banishing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.